Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did the strings of Wall Street Scandals affect your willingness to invest?
I lost all faith in those crooks, and will cut back on investing in those vehicles. 1 2.70%
Those underhanded activities have been there since the beginning. It makes no difference in my own investment style and plans. 36 97.30%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Despite concerns about scandals (in Wall Street), I could not think of too many ways to invest. Where to invest other than the stock market? I suppose we can invest in real estate, arts, precious metals, education, Collectibles, life insurance, etc.

May we live in peace and harmony and be free from all human sufferings.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #42
Interesting piece on Yahoo, suggesting that a lot of people prefer cash as an investment mechanism, but the article documents that that is a loosing strategy, Here is a link to page 2 of the piece showing that from 1926 to 2012 cash returned -.6% after taxes and inflation.
It appears that the fear mongers of the media have succeeded in selling people on the worst investment possible. Over the same period stocks have yielded 4.5% after taxes and inflation.

meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Stocks do not always go up, but they beat the alternatives.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Do you remember the study and the thread about a week ago, discussing how much money people have to have before they consider themselves rich?

The survey said a net worth of $5 millions dollars is the threshold. And people in that group was holding on the average of 1 million dollars in cash or cash equivalent. (The writer distorted the findings by saying the threshold for people in that study group to feel they are wealthy was 5 millions AND 1 million of cash. Actually it was in answering another question the group of people said they maintained close to a 23% cash position on average)

I was surprised by how heavily they are in cash. I guess they are more concerned with preservation of capital.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #45
This is not a pleasant thread to read. Even if a poster is on my ignore list, I can still see their vitriolic remarks when others quote their posts.

I am slowly losing faith in mods' ability and/or willingness to delete personal attacks and negative comments targeted at others on this website.

Another "Fail" about an otherwise interesting topic. Moving on...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #46
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have to agree with Midpack here.
When I agree with ERD50 and Midpack, you know something is going on.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #47
Anyone not interested in this thread is free to just move on, and if a post is objectionable, please report it using this function . While this thread may not be a shining example of open minded, friendly pursuit of knowledge, it is within community posting guidelines. Let's all take Midpack's advice and lighten up

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote