Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much are your paper losses?
$0 - $50,000 35 13.16%
$50,0000 - $100,000 26 9.77%
$100,000 - $250,000 66 24.81%
$250,000 - $500,000 68 25.56%
$500,00 - $1,000,000 36 13.53%
Over $1,000,000 23 8.65%
I made money 12 4.51%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll bet none of you included the paper loss from the decrease in the value of your home (zillow.com). I know I didn't.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You've been watching the stock price over the last year, right? Is there likely to be a better time to buy than this morning?

When I sold all my US individual holdings I did make an exception and held onto the BRK.B shares that I own. I figure these are special, more like a mutual fund than a share holding. I found myself so emotionally attached to these there was no way I could sell them off.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
How much of your portfolio have you lost since your personal high?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'll bet none of you included the paper loss from the decrease in the value of your home (zillow.com). I know I didn't.
No, because the original post specified portfolio losses (see above). I don't consider my home to be part of my portfolio. YMMV

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

142 people reporting a loss, collectively losses are in the $40-67M range so far (and I think most people didn't include equity loss in their home). That's impressive...

To put things into perspective:
On average, that's at least a $280K loss per respondent reporting a loss. So our average loss is at least thrice the median net worth of American households ($90K as reported BEFORE the housing and market bust). It means that, on average, we are still far wealthier than the average American, and therefore far, far wealthier than the vast majority of people in the world.

Collectively, we probably would still have enough money to buy a small country... I've heard Iceland is going bankrupt so we could get a good deal!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Oh hell! Move me up to the next higher loss level.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

I don't even include my home in our net worth (ymmv) let alone in our portfolio (also don't include future SS and uncola-ed pension pension benefits in either--shouldn't we include them too if we're including our homes?)--part of the real estate problem was homes were overvalued so not sure what the "high point" in my home's value would have been anyway. I'm sure it's worth a lot more than what we paid for it three decades ago, so move me down to made money, I guess
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post

Collectively, we probably would still have enough money to buy a small country... I've heard Iceland is going bankrupt so we could get a good deal!
Not a bad idea, but how about someplace warmer?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #68

My baseball and basketball card collection took a hit this year
Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If I did that I'd be jumping off my deck !
Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
My baseball and basketball card collection took a hit this year
On the bright side, I saved a boatload of money switching to GEICO...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Since my personal high was back in 2000, my house is still up in value from then.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #72

Quote:
I am sure those who have their money out of the markets, secure COLA'd pensions, and lifetime medical are also feeling no glee.
Bestwifeever, that's very charitable of you. I can assure you I would be feeling, if not "glee", something akin to it!

FIREdreamer.. good perspective. That is what I have been trying to keep in mind.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
On the bright side, I saved a boatload of money switching to GEICO...........
Now that you mention it, I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I've lost a ton on paper, but in fact I haven't lost anything unless I need the money, right?
This is often but not always true. Just yesterday the major owners of Buckeye Holdings GP, an MLP holding company announced a buyback. Tehy have p;lenty of shares to make it go through. The price is a small premium over today's very depressed quotes, but a big discount from the price at which many holders bought in.

I didn't hold this, but from time to time it happens to value investors in mid-cap and small cap companies. It happened to me twice in oil and gas in the 80s.

This is particualrly annoying event because it shows that you have picked wisely (else the majority owners wouldn't want it), you were patient, and still you got screwed. Not only that, but the large owners/management are in a postion to help make the price go down so they get better pickings.

There is a lot to be said for buying debt, if you can get it cheaply enough.

Ha
Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I could answer that my paper losses are "Vaster than empires, and more slow" but damn, that was a fast drop.

I can now retire with two dead squirrels and a box of matches.

ta,
mews
Old 10-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
There's no choice for "have not looked yet"!!!
Yup, I received my UBS portfolio statement last week....
it is still sitting on my desk....can't bear to open it....so I don't/won't!
My parents are "down" 1 mil....same for my bro & SIL....
think I'll saddle a horse and take a nice looooong ride....

Gosh, this is really tough stuff, but I have so much to be thankful for -
a wonderful family, amazing friendships, and a great community....and the sense to have bailed on California 8 years ago....my friends on the Left Coast are suffering horribly.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got a lot to be thankful for too... like all the well-meaning advice and encouragement I got here (indirectly) to get into the market instead of standing on the sidelines like I was.

Darn you all!!! ;-)
Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
142 people reporting a loss, collectively losses are in the $40-67M range so far (and I think most people didn't include equity loss in their home). That's impressive...

On average, that's at least a $280K loss per respondent reporting a loss. So our average loss is at least thrice the median net worth of American households ($90K as reported BEFORE the housing and market bust). It means that, on average, we are still far wealthier than the average American, and therefore far, far wealthier than the vast majority of people in the world.

Wow, I feel sooooo much better....thanks!
Now where is that bottle of Laphroig.....and why on earth did I send my fiance' packing...yeah, that tall, cute guy who drove a Porsche and owned an oil company......oooooops
Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #79

Quote:

Good Post.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

FIREdreamer,

Buying Iceland with our remaining cash sounds like a great idea! In honor of your proposal, I suggest we change the name to "FIREland."

Cheers.