Poll:What is the most you've ever spent on a pair of shoes ?

what is the most you've ever spent on a pair of shoes ?

• Less than $50

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • $50 - 100

Votes: 43 26.9%
  • $100 - 200

Votes: 74 46.3%
  • $200 - 300

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • $300 - 400

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • $400 - 500

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • $500 - 600

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Over $600

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
About $325/pair for my two pairs of Allen-Edmonds dress shoes - worth every penny to me...though I don't wear them very often any more. :D

Last edited:
Frye boots; $300 several years ago, and worth every penny.

I spent $300 for my Merrell hiking boots. They are like slippers.

Probably $125 for Redwing work boots. I did buy a pair of dress shoes on line from an online shoe retailer(hate shopping), they were $350. I wear a 9 1/2, these things said that, but had to be size 12-13. They really wanted for me to exchange them! Asked well if a 9 1/2 is this big, what size should I get? They were happy to return my money after that.
MRG

Gortex hiking boots - about $170. Other than that, I doubt I ever spent over $70 - generally a lot less.

Around $150 for a pair of Red Wing steel toe safety boots, but the cost to me was less than $50 due to work subsidy. Numerous other boots (non-safety, hiking, etc) between $75-100. Most dress type shoes around $50-60.

Ah, I splurged on a pair of custom made, elephant hide boots.... over $1,000.00. Love wearing them. Should last.

Every 3 to 4 years I end up buying new hiking boots. The last pair gave up the ghost this winter so I spent about $150 on a pair of Danner boots. Hoping that is it for a few years For shoes I am usually in the $50 to $75 range. I am hard to fit, so I seem lately to be restricted to Clark's and Skechers. I usually hit the outlet places and occasionally come up with real goodies ($30 for a pair of Clark's insulated snow boots a couple summers ago, for example).

95 dollars plus tax on a pair of Merrell barefoot trail running shoes for DH for Christmas. He is a drummer, and was looking for a light weight shoe to feel the pedals, etc. They were on sale! And they fit perfectly! And he loves them! I got major points for this purchase. Totally worth it.

$620 for custom-made Limmer hiking boots, following the 3 ½ years I spent on his waiting list. I have very hard to fit feet.

They will easily last longer than I will, so it was money well spent.

I think I remember reading an article about him. Isn't he the guy who keeps saying he's going to retire any year now, so people are lining up to get a pair before he retires?

Last winter I spent $115 on a pair of Merrell waterproof shoes. Most people get boots but I don't like something over my ankle so I needed to find shoes. They are fantastic!

I bought these to replace waterproof shoes from Lands End that I had for a few years. I loved them but they developed a crack and weren't waterproof anymore. Lands End has a lifetime return policy so I returned them and got a refund of close to $60.

The Merrells are much lighter than the Lands End shoes I had. I never would have found these but my son has a few pairs of Merrells and recommended them.

I normally purchase two pair of running shoes a year which normally run around $120 a pair, however the last pair I purchased costs just shy of $150. I hope that $150 doesn't become the norm!

$150 for hiking boots about 2 years ago. Running shoes about $125 every 6 months or so.

When I first started out in my career at the big law firm in NYC, I bought two pairs of Alden dress shoes - one black, one cordovan. I can't remember precisely, but I think I paid well over $400 per pair. They are still going strong 22 years later, with periodic heel replacements and an occasional re-sole. So I think it was money well spent.

I've started jogging this year, and on the advice of some friends, got some nice running-specific shoes, that were about $140. Saucony Cortana 3 or something like that. I had been running in some old beat-up Nike Shox that must be close to 10 years old.

Weird thing happened, though. I'm not in the best shape, so it took me a bit to build up some endurance. Started off, with the old Shox, doing about 5.5 miles, but with more of that being walking than I'd want to admit. I ran about a mile, but then had to stop and rest, and the remainder was a combo of walking and running. Well, the last time I ran in those Shox, I jogged 3.9 miles without stopping at all, and a combo of walk/jog the 3.9 miles back. So, I figured I'd go even further in these nice new running shoes. Nope...right calf started hurting after about 9/10 of a mile. And today, six days later, I STILL feel some pain in it! Wonder if the shoes just need to be broken in, or they're working my leg in a different way from the old beat-up shoes, or what?
The Shox is very, very different from the Cortana in the difference between the heel and front height. This probably accounts for the problem. It could also be that the Cortana is a neutral shoe, meant for someone with higher arches and who does not pronate (roll the foot inward). There are different Shox models and perhaps you pronate and have one that helps with that.

If your friends just recommended a shoe based on their experience, they did you a disservice. Someone needs to look at your running style or at least the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe, or even your arches, to see what type of shoe you need. A good running store should be able to do this for you. If a salesperson just starts showing you shoes without looking at one or more of these things, leave immediately.

Anyway, back to the original question, I'm also assuming that ski boots don't count because I just dropped $795 on Apex ski boots, which are comfortable snowboard boots with a partial ski shell. By far the most comfortable and warm ski boots I've ever owned with no loss of performance. I ski close to 100 days a year so I'm willing to pay for comfort. Other than that, I've probably been over $100 on a pair of dress shoes and a couple pair of running shoes, but usually I can wait out a sale and find what I need in the $50-75 range.

I think I remember reading an article about him. Isn't he the guy who keeps saying he's going to retire any year now, so people are lining up to get a pair before he retires?

People have been lining up for them for many decades. You may even be thinking of his father, who started the business back in Bavaria and moved to the USA in 1925. His son does it now and has been in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire since 1950.

Probably only about $70 for me. My wife has a $170 pair of cowboy boots but we expect to get many years of "good service" out of those.

Back in the old days with mega-corp (70's and 80's), I had to dress the part. Suit and tie every day and I always bought Allen Edmond's dress shoes. I just called them wing tips. Black, brown and tan. Very comfortable. As I recall, they were about $125/pair. Just looked on their web site and the first shoe I saw was one that I used to wear. Still looks the same but the price was $230.

300 for a pair of waterproof black leather cannadienne boots. I also spend on shoes, most recently (2 yrs ago) a pair of Clark's, 120$. When my feet don't feel good I am MISERABLE.

Bogs (vs Muck boots) for rain forest hiking - at Swain's General Store Port Angeles WA.

heh heh heh - :cool:

P.S. My wife bought Ahnu hiking boots at Cabella's $100 plus.

Last edited:
I think that truly comfortable shoes and socks are something worth spending money on, since I have problem feet. So, my everyday shoes are some very high end New Balance running shoes, that work well for me. These running shoes have cost me as much as $145 although they are sometimes marked down. I think that is the most I have ever spent on shoes.

In preparing my post for this thread, I noticed that they are marked down to $119 temporarily right now. How frustrating, because I don't need another pair right now! Aargh. But what a deal. (sigh)

Also, for sandals I wear high end Birkenstocks (not the ones with fake leather uppers) and they can be a little pricy too.

This thread has sent me browsing for Mephistos, which I am told are amazingly comfortable, though expensive. I really should try a pair sometime.

Last edited:
I noticed that they are marked down to $119 temporarily right now. How frustrating, because I don't need another pair right now!

Another long time New Balance guy here. I used to buy two pair at a time when I saw the price reduced, but quit doing that when I learned that the midsole cushioning starts to deteriorate as soon as the shoe is made. By the time I got around to wearing the second pair, they were already nearly as far gone as the first pair. Now I get them one pair at a time, as needed, and yes, I can tell the difference.

I think the most I've ever spent was about $100. But I do have an ex-SIL who was a bit shoe crazy. She owned many pairs of heels that each cost in the $500-800 range and proudly posted their photos on Facebook as she acquired them. I think there were a lot of disagreements about money and priorities for that couple... Hence why she is an ex-SIL.

I do a lot of walking, hiking and backpacking so I buy good shoes, mostly running shoes. They are up to about $140 per pair. I probably buy 2+ pair per year.

I broke my ankle last year and had to go to a boot for hiking and backpacking - I used to love hiking and backpacking in running shoes. I bought a pair of light weight Keens for less than $150. I like the way they fit; they have a very wide toe box. However, after a year of use they are not holding up well. I think I will purchase my next pair of hiking boots at REI.

Back
Top Bottom