Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: what is the most you've ever spent on a pair of shoes ?
Less than $50 4 2.50%
$50 - 100 43 26.88%
$100 - 200 74 46.25%
$200 - 300 17 10.63%
$300 - 400 10 6.25%
$400 - 500 8 5.00%
$500 - 600 1 0.63%
Over $600 3 1.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I've started jogging this year, and on the advice of some friends, got some nice running-specific shoes, that were about $140. Saucony Cortana 3 or something like that. I had been running in some old beat-up Nike Shox that must be close to 10 years old.

Weird thing happened, though. I'm not in the best shape, so it took me a bit to build up some endurance. Started off, with the old Shox, doing about 5.5 miles, but with more of that being walking than I'd want to admit. I ran about a mile, but then had to stop and rest, and the remainder was a combo of walking and running. Well, the last time I ran in those Shox, I jogged 3.9 miles without stopping at all, and a combo of walk/jog the 3.9 miles back. So, I figured I'd go even further in these nice new running shoes. Nope...right calf started hurting after about 9/10 of a mile. And today, six days later, I STILL feel some pain in it! Wonder if the shoes just need to be broken in, or they're working my leg in a different way from the old beat-up shoes, or what?
The Shox is very, very different from the Cortana in the difference between the heel and front height. This probably accounts for the problem. It could also be that the Cortana is a neutral shoe, meant for someone with higher arches and who does not pronate (roll the foot inward). There are different Shox models and perhaps you pronate and have one that helps with that.

If your friends just recommended a shoe based on their experience, they did you a disservice. Someone needs to look at your running style or at least the wear pattern on the bottom of your shoe, or even your arches, to see what type of shoe you need. A good running store should be able to do this for you. If a salesperson just starts showing you shoes without looking at one or more of these things, leave immediately.

Anyway, back to the original question, I'm also assuming that ski boots don't count because I just dropped $795 on Apex ski boots, which are comfortable snowboard boots with a partial ski shell. By far the most comfortable and warm ski boots I've ever owned with no loss of performance. I ski close to 100 days a year so I'm willing to pay for comfort. Other than that, I've probably been over $100 on a pair of dress shoes and a couple pair of running shoes, but usually I can wait out a sale and find what I need in the $50-75 range.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 05:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I think I remember reading an article about him. Isn't he the guy who keeps saying he's going to retire any year now, so people are lining up to get a pair before he retires?
People have been lining up for them for many decades. You may even be thinking of his father, who started the business back in Bavaria and moved to the USA in 1925. His son does it now and has been in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire since 1950.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Probably only about $70 for me. My wife has a $170 pair of cowboy boots but we expect to get many years of "good service" out of those.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:06 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back in the old days with mega-corp (70's and 80's), I had to dress the part. Suit and tie every day and I always bought Allen Edmond's dress shoes. I just called them wing tips. Black, brown and tan. Very comfortable. As I recall, they were about $125/pair. Just looked on their web site and the first shoe I saw was one that I used to wear. Still looks the same but the price was $230.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

300 for a pair of waterproof black leather cannadienne boots. I also spend on shoes, most recently (2 yrs ago) a pair of Clark's, 120$. When my feet don't feel good I am MISERABLE.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Bogs (vs Muck boots) for rain forest hiking - at Swain's General Store Port Angeles WA.

heh heh heh -

P.S. My wife bought Ahnu hiking boots at Cabella's $100 plus.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I think that truly comfortable shoes and socks are something worth spending money on, since I have problem feet. So, my everyday shoes are some very high end New Balance running shoes, that work well for me. These running shoes have cost me as much as $145 although they are sometimes marked down. I think that is the most I have ever spent on shoes.

In preparing my post for this thread, I noticed that they are marked down to $119 temporarily right now. How frustrating, because I don't need another pair right now! Aargh. But what a deal. (sigh)

Also, for sandals I wear high end Birkenstocks (not the ones with fake leather uppers) and they can be a little pricy too.

This thread has sent me browsing for Mephistos, which I am told are amazingly comfortable, though expensive. I really should try a pair sometime.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I noticed that they are marked down to $119 temporarily right now. How frustrating, because I don't need another pair right now!
Another long time New Balance guy here. I used to buy two pair at a time when I saw the price reduced, but quit doing that when I learned that the midsole cushioning starts to deteriorate as soon as the shoe is made. By the time I got around to wearing the second pair, they were already nearly as far gone as the first pair. Now I get them one pair at a time, as needed, and yes, I can tell the difference.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the most I've ever spent was about $100. But I do have an ex-SIL who was a bit shoe crazy. She owned many pairs of heels that each cost in the $500-800 range and proudly posted their photos on Facebook as she acquired them. I think there were a lot of disagreements about money and priorities for that couple... Hence why she is an ex-SIL.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #50

I do a lot of walking, hiking and backpacking so I buy good shoes, mostly running shoes. They are up to about $140 per pair. I probably buy 2+ pair per year.

I broke my ankle last year and had to go to a boot for hiking and backpacking - I used to love hiking and backpacking in running shoes. I bought a pair of light weight Keens for less than $150. I like the way they fit; they have a very wide toe box. However, after a year of use they are not holding up well. I think I will purchase my next pair of hiking boots at REI.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Allen Edmunds were mentioned earlier -- fabulous shoes! My feet are the same size as their salesmen's samples, and I used to live a reasonable drive from their factory outlet in Port Washington, WI. I have half a dozen pairs, none of which cost me more than $70. My favorites would be the indestructible sharkskin loafers, which have been resoled twice; resoling ran around $80 last time I did that, so that's probably the most I've spent.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #52

About $50 to $100.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Usually buy NB tenny-runners, spending $50 or so. Have some dressy leather shoes in the $100-$200 range, but they will likely last for years, since they only get occasional use.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was somewhere around $150 for a nice pair of Allen Edmunds... but I only shop their annual tent sales when they are half off.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
People have been lining up for them for many decades. You may even be thinking of his father, who started the business back in Bavaria and moved to the USA in 1925. His son does it now and has been in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire since 1950.
There's a business like that in Wisconsin -- Russell Moccasin. Every once in awhile I toy with the idea of buying a pair of their custom-made field boots, but the $400-plus price tag always kills my desire.

I like Clarks too -- the lasts are wide, which fit my feet. Their durability seems to have fallen off a bit, though.

Awhile back I was on a buy-American kick and special-ordered a pair of Minnesota-made Red Wing plain-toe oxfords. They cost $130 and feel like lead. They'll probably last forever, but they are not comfortable shoes.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #56

$450 ... ski boots
Old 03-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #57

I frequently purchase shoes on Zappos.com. I wear 9 Narrow. Very difficult to get narrow width shoes locally. The shoe Mecca in Pittsburgh is a place called Little's in Squirrel Hill. It is a once or twice a year destination for me when I pass through on my way to a play, a movie, or the Carnegie Museum. I remember shopping there with my parents when I was a kid. My Mom, my sister and I all wore narrow sizes. Dad went food shopping I think while we browsed for shoes.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
$450 ... ski boots
Oh, we don't want to go there.
I bought new ski boots this year. List price was $600, although I got 15% off.

Totally worth it, IMHO, but wow!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #59

Like W2R, I swear by my Birkenstocks with genuine leather uppers. Usually I can get them on sale in the off-season (or a discontinued style) for just under $100. I can wear them 9 months a year here and usually buy a new pair each year to look nice (such as for church). The older pairs move down the line - my oldest now lives in the RV so I always have a pair there.

I did get a pair of Naot clogs last winter for the 3 months that it's too cold for Birkies. Also got them on sale, just about $100.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
My new "best shoes ever" are made by "Ecco"….expensive...but then I was fortunate enough to cross paths
with a distributor who offered me a special discount code that I used on a couple pairs….less than half price…
about $125 a pair…been wearing them for the last 2+ years….not sure what I will do after these do not pass muster...
I once forgot to pack any socks while traveling on a business trip and the only store I could walk to was Nordstroms. I ended up buying a pair of Ecco dress shoes on sale for about $100. Best shoes I ever owned. When I find shoes I really like, I buy several pair (light brown, dark brown, black). I did get another pair of Ecco s from Nordstrom online, but they were not as comfortable. I think the most I ever spent on any shoes was about $150.