Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #201
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are you seriously going to suggest that William Faulkner lived a limited existence? Maybe compared to God, but certainly not compared to me.

Ha
As I said in my original statement - It's my opinion; nothing more nor less. If you don't agree, just move on, please.

BTW, Bill and I have several areas that we have somewhat in common.

- He wrote "The Sound and the Fury"; I read the book in Eng 101.

- He went to Stockholm to get his Nobel medal and dined in the Blue Hall. I went to Stockholm and while I didn't get the Nobel, or have a chance to eat in the Blue Hall (nor the Golden Hall, upstairs), I did get to tour them both.

The difference is that he was there in 1950 and probably traveled the entire journey by ship, whereas I traveled to London last June via jet, and then got on a ship that traveled the Baltic (but did stop in Stockholm); another bit of a similar trip.

BTW, I never said he lived a "limited experience"; those are your words. The Nobel was not the only "prize" he picked up in Stockholm during his trip there (see Else Jonsson). That's where we are not the same, since my DW would allow me to accept the Nobel Prize, she would not like me to have an affair with the wife of the person who used my writings to introduce them to a Swedish audience. Sometimes, travel can be exciting, and you can learn new things ...

I'll leave this "discussion" with one of his quotes:
"This is a free country. Folks have a right to send me letters, and I have a right not to read them."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) Floor income in retirement: $64K pre-tax (no rent or mortgage $ included.)
2) 2 people
3) Hawaii (fairly high expense)
4) retired

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
What is your minimum income need in retirement in dollars before tax. Please state the expected minimum yearly income need. This would be the floor that covers non-discretionary expenses and the basic discretionary items that would support your basic needs.

Please share the following information:

1) pre-tax income minimum floor in today's dollars (identify if this include mortgage or rent)
2) How many people will the income support (e.g. 2 people)
3) area of the country (e.g. midwest, west coast, east coast) plus if you are in a high expense are (e.g. Manhattan)
4) Status retired/working - Are you planning or have actual experience.
(1) $22k. No mortgage or any other debts. A studio co-op apartment I own outright. A 4-year-old car I own outright. About 40% is HI and dental, about 30% is co-op's maintenance charges, the rest is for everything else (food, other insurance, utilities, entertainment, etc.). I could probably shave $1k from it if I looked around enough, but I live a pretty simple lifestyle (i.e. no costly travel, low-cost and local hobbies, low-maintenance ladyfriend lives nearby) and my regular investment income already exceeds #22k by several thousand dollars.

(2) One person.

(3) Long Island, New York (Nassau County, a pretty high-cost area).

(4) Retired in 2008 at age 45.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

1) $13000 (mostly rent, health insurance, and food)
2) 2
3) San Francisco east bay.
4) One retired (for 2 yrs), spouse working and saving like crazy following the epiphany.

This year we're going to start some serious self-watering container gardening to drive the food costs down and eat more organically.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

1) Pre-tax income minimum - Should be able to safely take out 80K a year, includes mortgage, travel, golf, and
housekeeper.
2) How many people - ideally 2 if my husband's kids ever grow up enough to take
care of themselves…..
3) Area of the country - Rural Midwest

4) Status retired/working - Working for another 580 days
Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

I read several posts that said they needed 80-100K per year. I'm probably in that boat myself.

How much do you think you would need to sustain that, if you quit today? In other words, what number would let you get out of the rat race today?

I'm 43 and I think I would need $3 mil minimum to quit today (not anywhere near that yet, but I think it's a realistic number) and sustain a $100K annual draw down. Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #207
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgun View Post
.........what number would let you get out of the rat race today?..........
FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator
Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
What is your minimum income need in retirement in dollars before tax. Please state the expected minimum yearly income need. This would be the floor that covers non-discretionary expenses and the basic discretionary items that would support your basic needs.

Please share the following information:

1) pre-tax income minimum floor in today's dollars (identify if this include mortgage or rent)
2) How many people will the income support (e.g. 2 people)
3) area of the country (e.g. midwest, west coast, east coast) plus if you are in a high expense are (e.g. Manhattan)
4) Status retired/working - Are you planning or have actual experience.

Our Information:

1) Floor income in retirement: $45K pre-tax (no rent or mortgage $ included. We will own a condo)
2) 2 people
3) Midwest City
4) Working
This is a good question that I have often asked myself. The answer is somewhat elusive, for me at least, as I tend to be sloppy in tracking expenses, and in addition still have part-time income to allow such indulgences. Another factor is that I am still trying to figure out some extraneous costs. The college tuition for our children should go away, but how about the maintenance cost for 2 homes, and vehicle maintenance or replacement, etc... I am not sure how to project some of the "one-time" costs.

The best I could come up with was that we should be able to maintain the same living condition with $50K after tax, but with no vehicle purchases, of course no mortgages, no home remodeling, no new roof, no major home repair, etc..., and of course with minimum travel. I believe we can live on that without feeling deprived at all (by watching Travel Channel instead of taking real trips ).

So, my answers are

1) $50K after tax
2) 2 persons
3) SouthWest
4) Part-time work

We can even cut costs further by eliminating one house, but as the $50K budget is already a fairly small percentage of portfolio, I think we are safe. In fact, if I can trust FIRECalc, I can spend a lot more. And then, there's SS too.

Or are we really safe? Just today's market action takes away half of that hypothetical annual expense.

Darn, I might just have to keep the part-time work a bit longer to build up that money to count.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

1) pre-tax income minimum: $60,000 (no mortgage)
2) people supported: 2
3) area of the country: mid-west
4) status: working / planning
This is minimum: no vacations, eating out the same as we do now, but increasing medical and health 3X.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post

Status retired/working - Working for another 580 days
But who's counting?

Calendar Countdown
Old 01-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

Doesn't Firecalc use a 4% SWR? I'm not comfortable with that.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

No. You can put in anything you want. Many of us look at less than 3% SWR, and as low as 2.5%. And we try to budget without SS too.

Have fun!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #213
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiredgun View Post
Doesn't Firecalc use a 4% SWR?
No, it doesn't. See How about describing FIRECalc step by step? located about halfway down the page.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #214
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, thanks! I guess I missed the details.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #215
Full time employment: Posting here.

1) $26000 floor (no mortgage paid + extra artificial expense included for health plan)
2) supporting 1 person ( and a mini schnauzer )
3) location: Southern california
4) Still working , but i've done 2 'ER trial' years at the above..

i plan on spending more than that. but that's my "floor" without feeling "deprived" including
replacement costs as describe in previous posts.. my Guesstimate is 25-30% more..
Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #216

Reading this entire thread again this morning was most interesting. I wonder if "loosechickens" is still active on this website. I have not seen a posting from her in a long time.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #217

1) Estimated floor income needed in retirement (2011 or 2012): $60K (no rent or mortgage)
2) 2 people
3) location: suburbs of Chicago
4) Me - working part time, DW - working
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #218
Dryer sheet wannabe

1) Estimated floor income needed in retirement post-tax: $55K.
2) 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids)
3) location: Western NY
4) still working, hope to ESR in a 2-3 years

Assumes no mortgage. Largest expense will be property tax, currently $6200 on $170k full market value - my county was recently named the 2nd highest property tax to assessed value place in the country! We will be leaving NY once we become empty nesters or sooner if taxes go any higher.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #219
Recycles dryer sheets

1) Estimated floor income $72K. home paid for.
2) 2 people
3) location: Ohio
4) Me - working full time, to retire in 2013; DW is retired, may go back to work but has disability
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
...my penile analogy just broke down there.
Hate when that happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When you see people living on a dollar a day with a corrupt government siphoning off what little tax money there is, it gives one a new perspective.
But most of us already live in the USA...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote