Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Poll: What is your basic income need (floor) in retirement?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #81
Administrator

Wow, what a great post, loosechickens! I didn't copy it all below, but it is all worth reading several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosechickens
Look, I sure don't really WANT to live on $10,000......I LIKE having money and spending whatever we like, but I never mistake liking something with needing something. We're really lucky that way because we're not really very "things" oriented, don't have expensive hobbies, enjoy making and doing things for ourselves. All this money is really not necessary to our happiness. Sometimes it even seems like it robs us of using our ingenuity to do things like we used to do.....mostly having money seems more like not relevant. We were happy and felt abundance when we had little money and we're happy and feel abundance now that we do. That's all.
That was beautifully stated. So many of us trade too much of our time for money. My father died a wealthy man, but found out he had terminal cancer literally the day he was moving out of his office to retire.

I know we are not all in danger of that. But we are all so influenced by Madison Avenue and the psychology of advertising. Do we really NEED all the junk we buy, and end up throwing away a few years later? Obviously not. What many of us need is the capability of retiring a year or two earlier than planned, which we could do if we stopped buying so many impulse items.

Definitely I will be happy once my time is my own, as long as I am not worried about where I will sleep, what I will eat, or how to pay for the doctor. Come to think of it, my house is paid off, and by the time I retire I will have medical coverage guaranteed for life, and there is that vegetable garden I have been thinking of...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) 40k renting minimum, 50k realistic
2) 1 person
3) West Coast, San Francisco
4) I'm FIRE for a year now and spent 50k last year.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #83

Interesting thread. When I started reading this I thought the numbers people were reporting were too low. I consider minimum spending the amount below which I'd want to look for work to get more. The minimum that would keep me FIREd.

Something else to keep in mind is that it can be expensive to get into a lower spending situation. Moving from an expensive area to a cheaper area can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars to sell your home, scout the new location, and move. It's cheaper for me to rent here in San Francisco for a few years than it would be buy a home and live a few years in some supercheap place like Iowa. Converting to a $10k or $20k or even $30k lifestyle is not something that can be done free or instantaneously, and the cost of that conversion may be more than you save, unless you commit to 5-10 years or more.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
Moving from an expensive area to a cheaper area can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars to sell your home, scout the new location, and move. It's cheaper for me to rent here in San Francisco for a few years than it would be buy a home and live a few years in some supercheap place like Iowa. Converting to a $10k or $20k or even $30k lifestyle is not something that can be done free or instantaneously, and the cost of that conversion may be more than you save, unless you commit to 5-10 years or more.
Interesting observation.

We'd like to downsize to a smaller home, but don't yet know where our longterm retirement locale will be (depends on kids' plans, wife's career and a few other things that are a few years away). And it may well be that we stay where we are.

So while a downsize seems sensible, if we move again 2 or 3 years later it will cost us a bundle. It's cheaper to stay in this oversized house than it is to downsize (not to mention Florida's property tax caps which we'd lose upon moving to another house in the state).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have an older friend who is a doctor. About 10 years ago he was getting ready to retire. We had lunch and I asked him if he and his wife were going to move to a summer place he had owned for some years. He said "No, we are staying put right here. I've had a lot of patients, seen them retire, seen how they did emotionally and physically, and I think if you've been happy in your home city it's best to stay there in retirement if you can afford to do so.

He was normal retirement age or a bit older, not an ER, and Im sure this can make some difference.

Hes still happy and doing fine.

Ha
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now
Interesting thread. When I started reading this I thought the numbers people were reporting were too low. I consider minimum spending the amount below which I'd want to look for work to get more. The minimum that would keep me FIREd.

Something else to keep in mind is that it can be expensive to get into a lower spending situation. Moving from an expensive area to a cheaper area can easily cost tens of thousands of dollars to sell your home, scout the new location, and move. It's cheaper for me to rent here in San Francisco for a few years than it would be buy a home and live a few years in some supercheap place like Iowa. Converting to a $10k or $20k or even $30k lifestyle is not something that can be done free or instantaneously, and the cost of that conversion may be more than you save, unless you commit to 5-10 years or more.
DW and I will be running into the relocate situation. It will be cheaper in the long run but short term is will be an added expense. We got a head start on it though and have narrowed down where we want to RE . This was done by taking short trips over the years at different times of the year to get an idea of the climate and other details regarding the surroundings.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
We'd like to downsize to a smaller home, but don't yet know where our longterm retirement locale will be (depends on kids' plans, wife's career and a few other things that are a few years away). And it may well be that we stay where we are.
So while a downsize seems sensible, if we move again 2 or 3 years later it will cost us a bundle. It's cheaper to stay in this oversized house than it is to downsize (not to mention Florida's property tax caps which we'd lose upon moving to another house in the state).
That's a tough one. We've lived all over the world so when we landed in Hawaii we knew we were onto a good deal. Five years later when the Navy exhiled us to San Diego we knew we wanted to get back to Hawaii. (Many of the island's naysayers are kama'aina who've never lived anywhere else, let alone in places with winter.) After spending 15 of the last 18 years here, raising a kid on the island, and finding our "dream house", we don't see any reason to move again.

I doubt that grandkids will do it for us after watching my parents-in-law move here to watch their granddaughter grow up. In retrospect I think that was probably good enough for the first three of the 5 years they spent here. After that they realized that the weather was pretty nice but they didn't like the sun-exposure carcinomas, they hadn't made any friends, they hadn't developed any new routines or hobbies, they weren't acculturating, and they'd pretty much turned into hermits. Moving back to their ol' stomping grounds was a good idea... especially for us kids!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
That was beautifully stated. So many of us trade too much of our time for money. My father died a wealthy man, but found out he had terminal cancer literally the day he was moving out of his office to retire.
Agreed - detach the need for more and enjoy every moment while you are still alive.

Quote:
But we are all so influenced by Madison Avenue and the psychology of advertising. Do we really NEED all the junk we buy, and end up throwing away a few years later? Obviously not. What many of us need is the capability of retiring a year or two earlier than planned, which we could do if we stopped buying so many impulse items.
I keep telling DW not to look at those beautiful houses in the magazines and not to shop so often. We have enough stuffs in the house! Our storage room is getting filled.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #89
Confused about dryer sheets

1) $15,000 to $16,000 - no mortgage, no debts, both cars paid off. Largest single expense will be heating oil for my fairly large Victorian house. Individual health insurance costs are fairly inexpensive in Pennsylvania, so that's a help.
2) just me
3) Northeast U.S.
4) still working - FIRE by Dec. 2009 or earlier, before age 55
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #90

Quote:
As an example, we went to visit friends with a house and I sat on the john musing at the linen closet across from me with an open door, and counted 63 towels. We have 4. And I'm sure that the relative level of other stuff is just the same. When your belongings are fewer, it stands to reason that you spend less.
I love it! I can totally relate.

My move from Northern to Southern California is basically costing me nothing. I sent some stuff down in a visiting relative's van a couple of months ago. And I can fit the rest in two more car loads, trips that I would be taking whether I was moving or not. It is very liberating not to have too much stuff.

Kramer
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As an example, we went to visit friends with a house and I sat on the john musing at the linen closet across from me with an open door, and counted 63 towels.
OK, I've gotta ask: Did they have a huge linen closet or some very thin towels?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Exactly, Kramer....my sentiments exactly.

Wahoo.....it was one of those big linen closets with double bi-fold doors, maybe six to eight feet long......just regular towels, but I kid you not, 63 of them. I sat there and counted them. The whole thing was crammed with towels, washclothes and handtowels, etc. and only two people lived in that house.

Much the same thing happens to me whenever we visit people with houses. I don't think you guys realize just how much STUFF you have, but when you live as we have lived for the past fifteen years.....two years in a VW Vanagon, four years in a 26 foot travel trailer and nine years in a motorhome, even the average suburban 2,500-3,000 foot house looks absolutely BLOATED with junk to us.

All that stuff costs money to acquire, money to insure, time and effort to keep organized......and people take such drifts of belongings so for granted, they don't even realize the excess.

Did you ever see a book called, (I think), the Material World? It was a big coffee table book with photos of families from all over the world with most of their worldly goods spread out outside their homes. The same people did one a few years later called Hungry Planet, I think doing the same thing with a week's supply of food.

Compared to most of the folks from the other countries, the American households had stuff running out their ears....well, literally all over their yards.

Most of you guys are just drowning in STUFF, yet it seems to us that most want more, more, more ..... ;-) Just witness right here on these boards that folks with seven figure accounts are still always finagling ways to make more.....it's kind of funny when you think about it......It's as though in our country almost no one has a concept of "enough".

LooseChickens

modified to add links to the books mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/Material-World...8683001&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hungry-Planet-...8683001&sr=1-2

Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I wasn't in any way disparaging others' budgets

Sure about that?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:33 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

well, that certainly wasn't my intent, although it may have come across that way, because I did find them really surprising.

My apologies if any felt disparaged....if it makes you feel better, you can disparage mine for being so chintzy. ;-)

LooseChickens
Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #95
Dryer sheet aficionado

These are our expenses for 2 people living in England, aged 52 and FIRE. All amounts calculated in dollars at 2 to the pound

Essentials:
property taxes: $2,400
utilities: $4,000
groceries: $4,000
insurance (cars(2), house, medical): $3,400
car fuel: $2,400
house maintenance/improvement: $4,000
car maintenance/repairs $800

So, a pretty "basic" life for $30,000.

Then our "desirables"
broadband/phone/cell: $500
clothes: $2,000
booze: $2,000
meals out: $1,000
gym sub: $500
soccer season tickets(2): $1,200
theatre/cinema: $900
cds, dvds, books: $1,500
gifts: $2,400
vacations: $10,000
other and miscellaneous: $3,000

So, another $25,000 for a comfortable life.

So, over here, $55,000 covers most of the comforts of life.

The minimum state pension, here, is about $12,500 (at age 60). There are many people living off that amount and by all accounts it is just about enough for food, heat, clothing and property tax - nothing more.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtondav
These are our expenses for 2 people living in England, aged 52 and FIRE. All amounts calculated in dollars at 2 to the pound

Essentials:
property taxes: $2,400
utilities: $4,000
groceries: $4,000
insurance (cars(2), house, medical): $3,400
car fuel: $2,400
house maintenance/improvement: $4,000
car maintenance/repairs $800

So, a pretty "basic" life for $30,000.
I don't know how they do math in England, but here in the states, that adds up
to $21,000
TJ
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #97
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
to $21,000
TJ
But feeling richer already...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
to $21,000
$21,000 in expenses, plus a $9000 pounds-to-US dollar foreign exchange fee.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
well, that certainly wasn't my intent, although it may have come across that way, because I did find them really surprising.

My apologies if any felt disparaged....if it makes you feel better, you can disparage mine for being so chintzy. ;-)

LooseChickens
Actually it's all relative..........

My college roommate from years ago and lifelong friend would puke at all the stuff you have and the excessive consumption you demonstrate! He likes to do contract work around the country and moves from efficiency apartment to efficiency apartment with everything he owns in the back of his Subaru station wagon.

A number of years ago, I suggested he could use a class A RV as his home to accomodate his itinerant life style. Big mistake! I then received an hour lecture on the waste of occupying something so huge and wasteful and that would allow one to accumulate SO MUCH STUFF!

Everything is relative! By comparison, you're not chintzy, you're a wasteful and extravagent spender!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

I hadn't been following this thread and finally read it all at once this morning. Interesting stuff.

One note....... All the examples are useful and interesting in themselves but can't be compared to each other. Strictly apples to oranges. Many folks aren't including the value of free or subsidized health insurance, depreciation expense on owned capital items (including RV's) that are utilized to keep current, out-of-pocket expenses down, opportunity costs (including the opportunity cost of owning your home), the fair value of bartered goods or services, etc.

For the folks who can live on $10K........ Congratulations! Health insurance for DW and myself costs us almost that much! If you get free/subsidized health insurance and aren't counting the equivalent value in your budget estimates, you don't understand how budgeting and cost comparisons work!