Poll:What is your Car Value to Home Value ratio

What is your Car(s) value / Home value ratio?

• 0% - no car (public transit, bike, etc)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • 1-5%

Votes: 132 49.8%
  • 6-15%

Votes: 86 32.5%
  • 16-30%

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • 31-100%

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • I own a car, but rent

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters

bank5

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone care to post your car(s) value / home value.

Mine is ~3.7% which I think is pretty low thanks to my junker :) I bought an old Mazda Miata 3 years ago which was a great financial decision. The thing is a blast to drive, has held up well and kept it's residual value. My commute is only 2 miles so it's tough to justify a new car.

I wonder what the average ratio is on these forums. Who has the lowest?

i dunno - maybe $2500 for the car and $200k for the house? 1.25%?

Shoot - just checked Edmund's True Market Value on my car - to cut down on variables i suggest all use it to value their ride - and it says my private party sale price should be $954. Well neener neener - betcha i'm a better car salesman than that! '93 525i BMW station wagon w/ 197,000 miles in average condition. Wouldn't sell our house for $200k, but trying to be realistic about the market. So maybe 0.5%?

Never thought of that ratio... but it looks like about 27%... cheap house and three cars... two are 2004s...

Never thought of that ratio... but it looks like about 27%... cheap house and three cars... two are 2004s...

Oh - ALL the cars? Was just going with my main roller. not HER car or the old bug-in-bits or the '56 Chevy money magnet.

Not a very fair comparison across the country! We have a cheap house on very very expensive land.

Our '97 Nissan Altima is a survivor of a wet offramp and a guardrail, so that ratio comes out to 0.07%... our '06 Prius is more like 2%.

Couple with 2 cars, 1 15-yr old (his), 1 4yr-old (hers). Two houses. Ratio=1.7%.

Car worth $14000. Condo worth ~$42000. Ratio= 30%

Something less than 1% since both vehicles are more than 8 yo.

Not a very fair comparison across the country! We have a cheap house on very very expensive land.

Our '97 Nissan Altima is a survivor of a wet offramp and a guardrail, so that ratio comes out to 0.07%... our '06 Prius is more like 2%.
But if you sell the house the land is included

We have a 2006 Civic and 2005 Matrix, but this thread is making me feel like we have a Rolls Royce and a Ferrari... :LOL:

(The good news is that we don't plan to need another car for at least seven years or so.)

One car, one pickup truck, one motorcycle, maybe $18k for the lot.

House maybe $250-280k but who knows now.

Not a very fair comparison across the country!

I've never heard the word "fair" used in conjunction with ratio analysis before. "Ridiculous" or "meaningless" or "why" often apply, but not "fair." ;)

1 car, 1 truck (1999,2001) 10k value between them total - house about $350k per zillow

House would sell for around $300K.. Wholesale on the Accord and the Odyssey together are about $24K, so I will say 8%. Man, that felt horrible, thanks guys.......:(

Back
Top Bottom