Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your debt to total asset ratio?
I have no debt whatsoever, not even a credit card bill 149 51.03%
<10% 98 33.56%
10-19.99% 27 9.25%
20-29.99% 10 3.42%
30-39.99% 5 1.71%
40% or greater 3 1.03%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had been 0% for the last 13 years or so, but couldn't pass up 0% financing on new car purchase last month, so now about 1%.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #102

~24%...

Mortgage, small credit card debt that's entirely paid off monthly and shouldn't even count for this, small student loan, and a recent car loan. The mortgage makes up almost 95% of this.

vs.

Investments/retirement accounts, cash, and estimated value of home (no cars included).
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #103

4.6%

all at 2.75% interest
Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #104
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just credit cards that are paid in full every month.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #105

Zero debt. Paid mortgage off on primary home 9 years ago (8 years before retirement). Paid cash for our second home. We always pay cash for our cars and keep them as long as we can. We never buy anything unless we have the cash to pay for it when the bill is due. So far this strategy has worked out well for us.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I'm still driving my old Honda I paid off right before I retired. I hope to drive it a few more years... then pay cash for a new one.

I've heard it is better not to tell the car dealership in advance that you are paying cash. Is that right ??
I don't know if it's right or not, but I'm coy when car shopping and they ask if I'm financing. I usually just say I might finance with them if I can get a good deal, and then just write a check instead.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I do this so they never can hit me with a failed to make minimum payment in case I ever forget to pay.
+1

I make two payoffs a month as well, another trick is to have an automatic payment scheduled to the credit card account every month for the minimum. They got me once about 15 years ago, but they won't get me a second time.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #108

4.76%, all mortgage. We'd been debt free for ~10 years, but needed to get into a smaller, maintenance free home due to some health issues.

I could pay it off today, but like having cash, just in case. We got a great rate and should have it paid off in 10 years, even though it's a 30 year note.

I pay our credit card balance twice a month. That's how I "budget". When it gets close to the magic number, I don't order from Amazon.
0% since 1991
Old 09-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

0% since 1991

Yes I use credit cards that I pay off in full every month.

I do not understand the people who also pay off their credit cards in full monthly but claim any unpaid unbilled credit card balances are debt.

If you believe unbilled credit card charges that you will pay off in full when billed are debt , please explain why you are not including unbilled electric, gas, water, sewer, cable TV, cell phone, etc as debt also. I see no difference in having an unbilled electric/gas balance of $100 (partial month usage) or an unbilled credit card balance of $100.

What am I missing besides some deep fear/hatred of using credit cards?
Old 09-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was because a credit card charge is actually a short-term loan. The credit rating agencies consider your unpaid CC balance to be debt, even if you pay it off every month. I noticed, when I pull our credit scores, that there is a statement to the effect that if you pull your score after placing a $10,000 charge on your card(s), it will be considered as $10K debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom57 View Post

I do not understand the people who also pay off their credit cards in full monthly but claim any unpaid unbilled credit card balances are debt.

What am I missing besides some deep fear/hatred of using credit cards?
Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Zero

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
+1
I own everything. The bank owns nothing.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
I don't know if it's right or not, but I'm coy when car shopping and they ask if I'm financing. I usually just say I might finance with them if I can get a good deal, and then just write a check instead.
When we bought our last car (certified used not new) we told the dealer we were paying cash up front. We negotiated our deal and finalized it with the sales manager. When we sat down the the finance guy doing the contract he said something about financing it and I said unless he's gonna give me something in return I'd just write a check. He said he would give us the 250 bucks the credit union(lender) would give them and he'd settle for the incentive points from the lender. He said they get 1% from the lender and are eligible for additional money based on volume of loans written. Seemed upfront, but who knows.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Voted 0% and use CC all of the time. I consider CC as debt when the payment is due this month. We pay it off automatically. The balance of CC debit after cut off date will be included in next month's statement. And it goes on and on and on.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Having taken masters level courses in accounting and finance, I get so frustrated when everyone wants to impose their own definitions.
We don't run households under GAAP. I use CCs every month but it's not debt to me, just like a water and electric bill is not debt. No one here that said zero answered the poll correctly under accounting definitions, but that's NOT common usage of the term for personal finance.

It's very simple - under commonly accepted everyday usage by consumers, CC debt is a balance after the due date that you're paying off over time. And I'd argue that's the common usage for most personal finance gurus out there. You are certainly welcome to claim that's a wrong definition in the strictest sense as long as you accept that you're in the minority here.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
When we bought our last car (certified used not new) we told the dealer we were paying cash up front. We negotiated our deal and finalized it with the sales manager. When we sat down the the finance guy doing the contract he said something about financing it and I said unless he's gonna give me something in return I'd just write a check. He said he would give us the 250 bucks the credit union(lender) would give them and he'd settle for the incentive points from the lender. He said they get 1% from the lender and are eligible for additional money based on volume of loans written. Seemed upfront, but who knows.
That is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I never knew what they get. That sounds reasonable.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom57 View Post
If you believe unbilled credit card charges that you will pay off in full when billed are debt , please explain why you are not including unbilled electric, gas, water, sewer, cable TV, cell phone, etc as debt also. I see no difference in having an unbilled electric/gas balance of $100 (partial month usage) or an unbilled credit card balance of $100.
Exactly. That's why zero debt in this poll is always the wrong answer if you go by that argument, even if you pay cash for everything. The only way you wouldn't be lying is if you said you prepaid all your utilities AND taxes upfront before the liability is incurred. And I mean all taxes.

Which of course no one does, so we're all answering wrong if you buy that.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:51 PM   #117
Administrator

This is why I voted less than 10%, even though my only bills are credit cards and other bills paid in full each month, and my real estate taxes. As Meadbh said, it is the most accurate answer.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, when I add up the estimated credit card balances, the property taxes, the utility bills and the health insurance I get about 5 grand.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #119

No debt other than USAA MasterCard that's paid off in full each month.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is why I voted less than 10%, even though my only bills are credit cards and other bills paid in full each month, and my real estate taxes. As Meadbh said, it is the most accurate answer.
Accurate yes but as most people understand and use the term, no. This isn't an exercise in accounting/legal/financial definitions, it's one of personal finances.
Closed Thread