Poll: what is your debt to total asset ratio?

What is your debt to total asset ratio?

• I have no debt whatsoever, not even a credit card bill

Votes: 148 50.7%
  • <10%

Votes: 99 33.9%
  • 10-19.99%

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • 20-29.99%

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 30-39.99%

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • 40% or greater

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
$0 debt...I don't count what's currently on my credit card as the card is only used for points and convenience and is paid in full every month.

2.8% of assets. A mortgage with a 2.875% rate. DW wants to pay it off, I have a had time giving up that low rate. It will be gone in 4 years regardless.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Zero. No mortgage, CCs and other bills paid in full every month.

Pour nous aussi, la même chose...........and since we get zip in interest on the bank account we reconcile then pay the Visa off online on the statement date rather than wait until the due date......ergo, no bill - no debt.

Last edited:
Have been debt free for many, many years. Paid cash for the last two homes, cash for a 2016 new car 5 months ago. If I don't have the money to pay immediately I can't afford it. I have lived this way for the last 30 years. Paying interest for anything is not something I am willing to do.

Paying interest for anything is not something I am willing to do.

I believe most of us here probably learned early that "Interest is something you earn, not something you pay".

7% . I have a mortgage and a home equity. No plans on paying it off early. Not "debt"adverse Didn't include my amex bill as it gets paid in full

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
5%. Two of our rentals and our home have mortgages. All significantly less than current value. Have the cash to pay them off but I like having the cash. Interest rates are low on the mortgages so keeping them for now.

Like others, we have no debt except small credit card balances that are paid in full every month. We only use the cards for the cash back rewards. I don't really consider this "debt." So I answered "no debt whatsoever." If I calculate based on the average CC balance across the month, the ratio is 0.14%, which IMO is too small to answer "<10%."

I believe most of us here probably learned early that "Interest is something you earn, not something you pay".

Yup I ways considered paying interest a waste of money. When I first took out a mortgage, and with a high interest rate (north of 10%, this was 1989), I hated paying $522 a month but seeing only $21 or so going toward principal. I was glad to refinance that loan a few years later and then see a lot more than $21 out of a $312 monthly payment go toward principal. Six years later, I paid off the loan and have been debt-free ever since.

With regard to a point in this thread, I consider my debt 0% because I pay off my CC in full every month and have no other ongoing debt.

Me too. But in business school I learnt that there is good debt and bad debt. Good debt makes you money and is the only type of debt that I don't mind having. I keep it under 5%.

Last edited:
Nothing but the credit cards, which are paid in full every month.

I answered less than 10 per cent, since we do use credit cards. We do pay off monthly. They are our only debt.

I'm another with essentially zero debt. No mortgage and I pay off credit cards in full each month. I do have two installment loans but the balance is so low compared to assets that it rounds to zero.

Zero

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

3 car payments left and whatever credit card charges have accrued since my last monthly payoff. Probably totals around 0.13%

Bought current home in 1984. Paid mortgage off in 7 years. 10.75% as I remember. Have paid cash for new vehicles in 1991,2000 and 2016 as well as several used vehicles. Just hit 1m mark in investments, mutual funds mostly. Wife has 1/4 m and a state pension. Neither of us have made over 40k. Although I do have a small business for last 10 yrs. Clear about 10k -16 k. Planning to draw SS in 6 mo at 62. My Edward Jones rep tells me to spend some money and enjoy life. May be open to a little part time work with current employer. We are able to continue regular payments for health insurance, same as when working from wife state job. Hope I can enjoy retirement as we are suppose to.

This poll shows how different we are from the general population. Half of those who have responded have 0 debt, and most of the other half are at 10% or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom