Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What kinds of adjustments do you make?
"Optimistic" ones only 4 4.76%
"Pessimistic" ones only 30 35.71%
Both kinds of adjustments 21 25.00%
Neither kind of adjustment 18 21.43%
I like bacon 11 13.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I made pessimistic adjustments, but it’s because I may be retired for 40 years. If our portfolio suffers worse losses than past history, we’ll be fine. If money piles up in our portfolio, we’ll definitely adjust spending up in the decades ahead. It would be more painful to curtail spending when we’re much older, than it is today. Of course deciding when to spend more and how much is an open question, no easy answers.

Fortunately we’re completely comfortable with what we’re spending, so no need to spend more - even if we can afford it according to any retirement calculator or what success rate others plan on.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Some of these adjustments I don't consider pessimistic, but rather factual. Retiring 10 years before 65? Well assuming 40 year instead of 30 years is just the facts. Social security 25 or more years in the future? What can you safely assume about the availability so far ahead? That is definitely more of an assumption, but seems reasonable rather than pessimistic per se. Assuming it is going to be exactly the same as present seems a bit optimistic to me, especially with an impending shortfall where adjustments are going to be required.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I use VPW with age to depletion of 110 and a retirement year of 1966. I find that in the worst case year of 1982 the portfolio does not go much below 40% of the inflation adjusted starting value. The idea is to always feel the cliff edge is far away.

It turns out that such assumptions work out well for our current spending. If I had to cut back on spending with these assumptions would I modify the assumptions? Hmmm...

Is this optimistic or pessimistic? Not sure about the wording of the OP.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Some of these adjustments I don't consider pessimistic, but rather factual. Retiring 10 years before 65? Well assuming 40 year instead of 30 years is just the facts. Social security 25 or more years in the future? What can you safely assume about the availability so far ahead? That is definitely more of an assumption, but seems reasonable rather than pessimistic per se. Assuming it is going to be exactly the same as present seems a bit optimistic to me, especially with an impending shortfall where adjustments are going to be required.
Sure. Each person and situation is different, and what each of us considers optimistic/neutral/pessimistic can vary.

What I'm looking for is the kind of adjustment where one says, "Well, I expect Social Security to be there for me with a haircut...but just to be safe I'm going to ignore it altogether." So it's relative to what you consider neutral.

As I thought, most here make pessimistic adjustments. The ones I don't particularly understand are those who make adjustments both ways. I guess it is a search for more accurate predictions.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only pessimistic.

I also choose "significantly worse than average" market returns on Fidelity's retirement planner.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When I managed the planning group for Megacorp, I always asked my planners to do a plus/minus 20% case and give conditions/assumptions for each case. We would spend most of the review on questioning the assumptions to establish a revised estimate.

I did the same thing when building the retirement plan. The plan has delivered on the positive side for 15 years (with a 2 year hiatus). We had built up enough buffer that that blip still stayed above the plan.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Only pessimistic.

I also choose "significantly worse than average" market returns on Fidelity's retirement planner.
Interesting.I answered the question more so from any adjustment on the expense side. I also use the above module for Fidelity, but don't think of it as pessimistic (despite the title) due to its success rate concept of 90% is comparable to the "normal" 95% success rate of Firecalc.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:25 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Our retirement plan is to spend < (Social Security + pensions + TIPS interest (or equivalent)). This includes a mortgage that will be paid off so that gives us some buffer /more discretionary spending down the road. Plan B would be to spend principal, downsize or move some place cheaper. We don't use Firecalc, just my own spreadsheets crosscheck that with the Fidelity planner. We should have about the same net worth as we do today in inflation adjusted dollars no matter what age we live to, less long term care or other extraordinary expenses.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:21 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When making financial decisions for retirement I was a belt and suspenders kind of guy. First and foremost was to make sure that if anything was to happen to me then my wife would be well taken care of and not have to worry about having decent food to eat, medical care, or a roof over her head in a safe place to live.

Now that we are retired I feel I can relax and am confident this has been achieved. Suspenders have been retired too.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustments