Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What % of your equities are market timed?
zero market timing 65 77.38%
20% of equities 8 9.52%
40% of equities 5 5.95%
60% of equities 1 1.19%
80% of equities 2 2.38%
100% of equities 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:What percentage of your equities are market timed?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:What percentage of your equities are market timed?

Most will probably say zero here. But some investors set up a percentage of their stocks that would go to zero if a big decline starts (or using some other scheme). They might just reduce the percentage if a moving average is breached but not necessarily to zero equities. Also some could move parts of their portfolio around to different equity asset classes over fairly short time periods. Some people want to have "dry powder" for occasional bargains (as perceived by them).

The timing could be day trading, monthly, etc.

Timing here does *not* include rebalancing your portfolio.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

The only market timing that I do is what I call "opportunistic" rebalancing.... if stocks have has a strong, brief run then I might rebalance... or when stocks went down right after Brexit I rebalanced... it is just when I "feel" that markets have overreacted I might rebelance... it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans but it is cheap entertainment

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think it is not possible to know this. If it happens, you will then know that that particular equity went to zero. Obvious candidates are options.
Ha
Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You need to make this poll a poll.

Were you viewing this as I was editing it? Hope it is properly a poll now.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Were you viewing this as I was editing it? Hope it is properly a poll now.
+1

When I saw all the choices outlined in your post I thought you wanted post responses rather than poll responses. All is good now...
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Administrator

Just so I understand, the question is "what percentage of my equity allocation would I change based on some market timing methodology"? In other words, if my equity allocation is 60%, and based on some timing based formula I would take it down to 30%, my response here should be 50% or 30%?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The mark of Zero for me.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just so I understand, the question is "what percentage of my equity allocation would I change based on some market timing methodology"? In other words, if my equity allocation is 60%, and based on some timing based formula I would take it down to 30%, my response here should be 50% or 30%?

That would be 50%. You could round it 40% or 60% since the increments are in 20% jumps. We are only considering equities in this calculation.

I made the increments fairly large so as to make this easy to read and respond to.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
That would be 50%. You could round it 40% or 60% since the increments are in 20% jumps. We are only considering equities in this calculation.

I made the increments fairly large so as to make this easy to read and respond to.
Got it, thanks.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm with pb4uski. When my desired AA has deviated far enough from my actual AA, then I rebalance. Usually, I need to se at least a 5% deviation to make a move. That being said, I have made about 20 such moves in the last 10 years after I ERed. Most of them are in my IRA because there are no tax consequences and because my investment horizon is longer-term than my taxable portfolio. Also, my taxable portfolio is more income oriented, so I don't strive to sick to a specific AA.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most will probably say zero here. But some investors set up a percentage of their stocks that would go to zero if a big decline starts (or using some other scheme). They might just reduce the percentage if a moving average is breached but not necessarily to zero equities. Also some could move parts of their portfolio around to different equity asset classes over fairly short time periods. Some people want to have "dry powder" for occasional bargains (as perceived by them).
One never knows when a big decline is starting. Some may be able to predict a big decline better than others, and some may think they know, but nobody really knows. Once you know for sure, the decline has happened, and at that point you'd probably be increasing equities (for the recovery) rather than decreasing.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

These days, 100% of my equities are market timed and come out of bucket #2 or my discretionary dollars. I've made 25+ trades so far this year and I am still holding equities from "exactly" three of those. Longest time held was about 90 days, shortest was about a hour or so. Example I've traded over 50k shares of GE in the past month or so. Most of my long term investments are in bucket #1 and are in fixed income instruments.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Answered 20% because that's what I think I will do, depending on market condition.

In the past, I did as high as 40%, if memory serves. That number also included a lot of shuffling between sectors.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Still deciding on an allocation between 50 and 55% overall equities, but for purposes of this survey will vote zero.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't consider myself a timer, but when there is a big market drop I try to increase my shares of a down fund that I find myself saying "I wish I had bought more back then".

It's my chance to go back in time and correct my shortsightedness or my needs may have changed.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I don't consider myself a timer, but when there is a big market drop I try to increase my shares of a down fund that I find myself saying "I wish I had bought more back then".

It's my chance to go back in time and correct my shortsightedness or my needs may have changed.

In some ways I would agree that this is not quite market timing. But on balance if you are using price signals to get in or out, I think that would be strictly speaking "market timing". Now if you are doing it with <10% of the equities, it would still count as zero in this poll.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In some ways I would agree that this is not quite market timing. But on balance if you are using price signals to get in or out, I think that would be strictly speaking "market timing". Now if you are doing it with <10% of the equities, it would still count as zero in this poll.
Most definitely under 10%; more like 1% or 2%, but I may do that 4 or 5 times a year depending on the number of downturns.

I am sort of doing the same thing as a market timer but perhaps with a different intent.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Most definitely under 10%; more like 1% or 2%, but I may do that 4 or 5 times a year depending on the number of downturns.

I am sort of doing the same thing as a market timer but perhaps with a different intent.

Bless you my son. You are not a market timer and thus will enter the pearly gates as your reward.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I would not have thought the percentage of people doing some market timing would hit 25%. Or could this poll be attracting more market timer leaning individuals then buy-hold ones?
Old 05-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We typically do not market time. But I think around Feb 2016 Dow went down to somewhere high 16000, low 17000, we had a nice bundle of cash and bought VG total stock market. That was a bit scary, but worked out for us. We have not done that since and probably will not do that again.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote