Poll:What type of millionaire are you?

What type of millionaire are you (or think you'll be)?

• Thrillionaire

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Coolionaire

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Realionaire

Votes: 176 89.8%
  • Wellionaire

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Willionaire

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
I just read again this thread and saw myself being mentioned that I missed the first time.

So, we agreed. What made me an exception?

An apparent ability to consider a higher income and visualize what you might do with it. Most retirees feel their current income is "perfect" and wouldn't know what they would spend any extra on. You seem a little more flexible. A position I agree with. Cheers

Good guess, but the word in its present form actually dates back nearly two centuries (first recorded use was in the 1820s). So that would make it equivalent to over 20 million today.

Very interesting -- I never really thought about how long the term "millionaire" had been around.

On a whim, i went to google books and plotted it's usage (note sometimes OCR is wrong in older books so the graph is not "exact"). You can even browse/read through the books like "the millionaire of mincing lane" (1858), "Paston Carew, Millionaire and Miser", or "The Millionaire Tramp".

Billionaire also dates back to the 1860s too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.45.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.45.23 PM.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.50.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 5.50.41 PM.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 10
An apparent ability to consider a higher income and visualize what you might do with it. Most retirees feel their current income is "perfect" and wouldn't know what they would spend any extra on. You seem a little more flexible. A position I agree with. Cheers
OK.

I guess my reading has opened me up to what money can buy. It's not that I stay up night dreaming about money that I will never have - I am no longer in any business, do not buy lottery tickets, nor plan to rob any bank. I do not feel deprived however, because I do not constantly covet stuff that is out of reach - OK, maybe just for the business class seat when I toss and turn in my cramped coach seat.

I think people all know what extra money can buy. Perhaps they put it out of their mind because thinking about money you do not have is futile and non-productive, particularly for a retiree who no longer has a means of producing. But myself, when I see a nice boat, a mansion, or read about people having their own jet, I cannot help making an evaluation of what net worth it would take to have something like that.

It does not make me unhappy with what I have, for a simple fact that many people wish to have what I do. And I mean many in the US, not just in third-world countries.

Last edited:
By the way, I think knowing what lifestyle your current stash can buy is a very important part of wealth management.

We have all read about sports players, movie stars, and lottery winners who blew their stash worth tens of million dollars. They tried to live the life of centimillionaires. Of course their stash could not last.

...OK, maybe just for the business class seat when I toss and turn in my cramped coach seat.

I think people all know what extra money can buy. Perhaps they put it out of their mind because thinking about money you do not have is futile and non-productive, particularly for a retiree who no longer has a means of producing. But myself, when I see a nice boat, a mansion, or read about people having their own jet, I cannot help making an evaluation of what net worth it would take to have something like that...
With the same exception (we fly business class to Europe on points), I think you sum up the position of many retirees. The only other aspect of the imagining is that every asset comes with a commitment to upkeep. And that commitment goes beyond having the assets to buy it. Having the wherewithal to rent them would be nice once in a while.

(We do rent our accommodations in Europe every year though.):dance:

Back
Top Bottom