Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What type of millionaire are you (or think you'll be)?
Thrillionaire 12 6.12%
Coolionaire 3 1.53%
Realionaire 176 89.80%
Wellionaire 3 1.53%
Willionaire 2 1.02%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:What type of millionaire are you?
Old 12-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Poll:What type of millionaire are you?

I found this Psychology Today article on the five different types of millionaires interesting. I suspect most forum members fall into the Realionaire category. Let's see if that's reflected in the poll results.

Quote:
1. Thrillionaires "enjoy the things and experiences that wealth can buy ... For them, wealth is the means to privacy, exclusivity, pleasure, and highly memorable experiences."

2. Coolionaires "surround themselves with beautiful things and experiences ... For them, wealth is the means to consume beauty if they can’t actually create it and a way to dwell in and show off their personal aesthetics and taste."

3. Realionaires "stay under the radar of the trappings of wealth, seeing their affluence as an indicator of their status as a person of uncommon common sense ... For them, wealth is simply a means to be oneself, having earned that privilege through their practicality and determination to get the biggest bang for their buck."

4. Wellionaires "pursue '360-degree' wellness through their commitment to look good, feel healthy, and think positively ... For them, wealth is the means to keep one’s body and the Earth as natural and green as possible, perceiving a symbiotic relationship between themselves and the planet."

5. Willionaires "focus on the privilege and responsibility to try to make the world a better place ... For them, the concept of philanthropy is not charity but a way of life, with wealth the means to be a social entrepreneur in avenues they feel are important."
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mostly 3, with a little bit of 1 and 4 peppered in (1 for vacations and travel; 4 for groceries!). But since we're a "get rich slowly" couple, we'll always be rooted foremost in practicality and value. (We're not investment millionaires just yet, but "net worth" millionaires.)
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #3

I'd imagine an overwhelming % of the members of this forum are Realionaires, but I know there are a few in each of the other categories.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

6. aspiring
fanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I'd imagine an overwhelming % of the members of this forum are Realionaires, but I know there are a few in each of the other categories.
I would think the least popular one on this board would be No.2 --the Coolionaire.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Too much of that verbiage sounds like a cross between performance review self-assessment bs and Miss America contestant answers. So the minimalist in me would distill those down to two types: reallionaires and bullionaires. And yes, I'd guess the vast majority here would fall into the first group.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #7

I chose Realionaire largely because of the "be oneself" phrasing - I was also attracted to the Thrillionaire because of the privacy statement and memorable experiences language but felt that I could subsume those under the "be oneself" heading.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

I'm just a tightwad. "Illionaire" tacked on the end is optional.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Looks like Realionaires is running away with the poll.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I voted Realionaire. But then, is it because I had no choice, being at a fairly low rung on the millionaire ladder?

I think I had to be at least a decamillionaire before I could become a trillionaire with a bit of wellionaire mixed in.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

3, Realionaire.

I assume that 'millionaire' is: 'What-I've-Got (minus) What-I-Owe (minus) Value-of-Primary-House (equals) More-Than-A-Million $$'.

While others may use their money (or credit line) to buy fancy, show-offy things I've found myself to be very happy being "anonymous", trying my best to just blend in with the crowd, and probably am the most "un-blingy" person I know.

Example: Instead of driving a flashy expensive car I've got a 10 year old Ford Crown Vic. It's a pretty "anonymous" car that doesn't attract too much attention. It also has been very reliable and cheap to own. It's not an expensive "show-offy" car, it's an appliance that gets me where I need to go.

Example: I've got a Seiko watch I bought many years ago and have worn it probably 5 times since. It wasn't particularly expensive -- it isn't a Rolex or a Breitling -- and it doesn't scream "rob me" if and when I might wear it. I don't wear any other jewelry either. No "bling". No gold teeth. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Having at least a million and spending it wisely simply means that I don't have to go to work tomorrow! Or ever, if I don't want to.
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

I voted 3, was expecting to see this as the most popular result, and wasn't surprised to see that it was. By and large, we're a bunch of pragmatic old farts here. Some of us aren't even that old

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #13

Like we often say around here: a million isn't that much. A lot easier to be number 3 when your wealth is $1-3 million, I suspect. For those with more it would be a more even distribution. But number 2 is not very flattering so would likely be a lower percentage.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
gone traveling

thousandaire
hurricane harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #15

I voted 3 but really feel strongly that I have quite a bit of 5 mixed in.

I definitely like to stay under the radar so that's a 3 but contributing to society with my time and talent (and my limited treasure) are high on the list of things I do now that I'm FIREd.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

How about #3 for the first million and #5 for everything else. I can live on a million and make it work.. that gives me the ability to be me and everything above that is money that can be shared over my lifetime... that pays for cash contributions and gas/tolls/parking and supplies for volunteering.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #17
gone traveling

3 baby 3

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Moneygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
thousandaire

I am hanging in your corner. Despite forum friends in past trying to make me feel better by saying I am multiple millionaire very easily when accounting for my pension... But I cant use that "funny math" since I don't see it in my bank accounts. Therefore I am banned from voting, but thankfully not banned from posting in the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like that one the best! Although I also like to create art.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I would think the least popular one on this board would be No.2 --the Coolionaire.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Couldn't answer this one. I can relate to most of them.