Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your annual vacation/travel budget?
Less than $1,000 25 7.53%
$1,000-$3,999 48 14.46%
$4,000-$9,999 120 36.14%
$10,000-$19,999 80 24.10%
$20,000-$49,999 43 12.95%
$50,000-$99,999 10 3.01%
Greater than $100,000 6 1.81%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did not answer this poll when the thread was started in Sep 2010. I missed it because I was RV'ing at that time.

I only add up the cost of each trip after it ends. So, I do not have a budget per se, but with our style of travel, I picked "$10K to $20K" because that has been the range of actual expenses.

In order to spend more, we need to change our style to a more extravagant one, and I will not do that because we like the way we do it now. Or we can travel more, but that is not possible either because I am getting old and more is not necessarily better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For you RV'ers and vacation home owners, do the best you can to figure out what you are spending on vacation/travel...
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Would that include or exclude the cost of the mortgage, depreciation (RV), maintenance, repairs, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Go wild. If you think it fits within the general category of vacations/repairs, then include it.

I do not include the cost of the 2nd home, because it's not travel. It's well, just another home.

RV'ing on the other hand is real travel. And I alternate between long RV treks and long international trips.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 04:46 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't have a budget. We probably spend about 20K USD per year. Sometimes more sometimes less. The only exception was a six/seven month trip immediately after retirement.

We do two 2 month international trips per year. One during the winter (just came back) and the other typically in late Sept/Oct timeframe. Both are independent,spontaneous land travels.

Plus a few shorter ones in between. A last minute AI, or a planned AI with my daughter and family at Christmas.

brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Traveled all over the world during my years of w*rk. Brought the DW and kids along on extended projects. Now, very content doing road trips in the beautiful USA. We stay at decent hotels (I like Hilton Garden Inns), and like to sample the local craft brewery at the end of the drive each day. I would be happy never getting on another airplane. This keeps the travel expense each year toward the lower end of the range …. approx. $4K.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
... and like to sample the local craft brewery at the end of the drive each day.
I agree this is a nice way to plan an evening in a random town along the route. You often find an interesting part of town you'd never have found, interesting restaurant in that neighborhood, and interesting people there too. This is our modus operandi on road trips. They don't always turn out fantastic, but they're always more interesting than eating at the big chain restaurant near the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I do not budget for fun stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I only add up the cost of each trip after it ends. So, I do not have a budget per se,
I don't have a budget for anything, including travel, but I record all spending and report on it (ie add it up after it ends). The reason is kind of to get the "gee-whiz" (non actionable) result. Or maybe it's to be able to think back and say was trip "X" really 10 times as fun as trip "Y" (when the per day cost of X was ten times the price of Y). That does go into the planning of the next trip, I suppose.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
... I don't have a budget for anything, including travel, but I record all spending and report on it (ie add it up after it ends). The reason is kind of to get the "gee-whiz" (non actionable) result. Or maybe it's to be able to think back and say was trip "X" really 10 times as fun as trip "Y" (when the per day cost of X was ten times the price of Y). That does go into the planning of the next trip, I suppose.
I enjoy all of our trips, and never compare one to another. I have always got something out of each of them, and they give different experiences.

About the accounting, it's just running Quicken to download every charge, then to click on each item and say it's travel-related as appropriate. Our style of travel stays fairly consistent, and we never had to worry about having to up the WR at the end of each trip.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I enjoy all of our trips, and never compare one to another. I have always got something out of each of them, and they give different experiences.
Totally true, but the techie in me can't help analyzing things, hehe! There's a lot of value in having a diverse set of travel experiences, so, yeah, each event gets appreciated.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Missed this poll for 9 years. We are on the high budget end but donít usually spend it all. Our trips are $250 to $500/day. I think we average around 40 days per year.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #148

Sounds like some folks are indirectly budgeting if they keep track of the actual expenses and how it plays into their overall spending for the year.
I do budget for the whole year and this helps to see what trips at what estimated costs we can take. This doesn't mean we artificially limit a specific trip expense while we are enjoying the actual trip.
6 of one, half a dozen of another.......
Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #149

I think experiences can be hard to compare. We spent 5k for 7 day cruise and 3 extra days in NOLO. Yet we took a month car trip with our dogs and stayed in motels for 4K driving 4K miles. Totally different experiences.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Totally true, but the techie in me can't help analyzing things, hehe! There's a lot of value in having a diverse set of travel experiences, so, yeah, each event gets appreciated.
+1. I simply just like knowing and knowing allows for simple comparison. I track a rough level of expenses for our travel each time we get home, I don't necessarily budget for it though but do like to have a rough idea of what airfare + lodging + transportation will cost before I go.

10 days in Sarasota ~ 2600
6 Days in West Palm Beach ~ 2100 No frequent fliers but 16% off AirBnb with the chase freedom deal right now

4 Days up north at the cottage ~ 200 (FIL pay lodging)
5 Day road trip in the Denali to Memphis ~ 300 in gas plus some groceries we stay with friends

5 Days out east to visit sis ~ 100 used frequent fliers, stayed with sis and topped her tank off for the airport taxi ride.

So it looks like 2019 will be around $6000. for 30days of travel away from our home...or about $200/day which is basically in line with what it costs us to live at our own home everyday for a family of 4.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think experiences can be hard to compare. We spent 5k for 7 day cruise and 3 extra days in NOLO. Yet we took a month car trip with our dogs and stayed in motels for 4K driving 4K miles. Totally different experiences.
I'll bet the dogs voted for the car trip.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

The one category that makes me think I need to go back to work! Last year we did a Disney Cruise , over Thanksgiving. Also, we just got back from a ski trip to NM.

With a family of 5, this is one of our biggest expense. I’m not sure how it will play out in the future, so it’s hard to say how much we will spend.

I’m similar to others, I have a set amount of free cash per month, how it’s spent I really don’t track.
jmp470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #153

The 3 dogs love to travel. 2 are tiny and a 80lb husky/shepherd mix. Because we are crazy)
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #154

Just did an 18-day New Zealand trip. Cost per day for 2 was $388. So, with that level of travel (9 scuba dives, van rental, camping), we could spend 129 days a year with that sort of travel. But most of our trips will average $500-600 per day for 2 (liveaboard diving).
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

we had a choice. Move into a really nice house in a 55+ gated community OR continue to travel...Ö. we opted for the nice house. We severely reduced our travel. we are 67 and 70.

albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, travel, vacation