Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your annual vacation/travel budget?
Less than $1,000 25 7.51%
$1,000-$3,999 48 14.41%
$4,000-$9,999 120 36.04%
$10,000-$19,999 80 24.02%
$20,000-$49,999 44 13.21%
$50,000-$99,999 10 3.00%
Greater than $100,000 6 1.80%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:What's your annual vacation/travel budget?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:What's your annual vacation/travel budget?

Per household. Include trips where a significant component is leisure. Volunteer trips abroad can be included if a significant component of the trip is pleasure (you make the call). Don't include work/business trips. Do include cost for spouse/family to accompany you on business trips.

For you RV'ers and vacation home owners, do the best you can to figure out what you are spending on vacation/travel.

I am also interested in what people are getting for their money. Ie - 10 day cruise for 2 around Europe - $6000 incl airfare from US; weekend getaway to cancun - $600, etc.

I'm also curious if you are still working or ER.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For you RV'ers and vacation home owners, do the best you can to figure out what you are spending on vacation/travel.
Would that include or exclude the cost of the mortgage, depreciation (RV), maintenance, repairs, etc.?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I did vote "1,000-$3,999 ... but we plan to spend more...starting this year (taking a second cruise this Oct. ...haven't done 2 in 1 yr before)..as dh is 'retiring' at the end of the year so we'll have more time. As we've gotten older, we're enjoying cruising vs travelling by car/rail in Europe, although we want to take another driving trip in France sometime next year. After a particularly long/horrible set of flights on our trip last year to Athens (spent a few days, then went on a wonderful cruise), my dh now doesn't want to fly long distances like that unless its in business class. I do all the travel details (love to)...and I know that will be something that could put a 'crimp' in plans...those prices have gone up and up, and although we have lots of AA miles...we can never use them when we need to! Can't take it with us...so we might as well enjoy!
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We Scuba Dive in Warm Exotic Places...
At least $15K-$25K for 2 Peeps - and that is pre-retirement.
Once we FIRE, watch out!!
NW Landlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Planning on a $30,000 trip to Japan next May with wife and kids, Airline tickets taking up about half of that. My wife is from Japan and the kids have never been so this is something we've wanted to do for a long time. Other than that we usually spend about 5-6000 a year.

A future plan is to go around the world on the MV Explorer (Semester at Sea), a 3-4 month trip that runs about $30,000 each. I figure that will be our trip of a lifetime. Our daughter went last year and recommends it highly.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I voted in the $1000-4000 category. For 2010, this will get us a week at the beach (shoulder season), a couple weekend trips to Washington DC and other places, and maybe a 5 night cruise to the Bahamas.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Would that include or exclude the cost of the mortgage, depreciation (RV), maintenance, repairs, etc.?
Go wild. If you think it fits within the general category of vacations/repairs, then include it.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Must admit we don't do a budget, we just have one big bucket and as long as there is money in there we do it. So far this year we have had to spring for 5 tix to Hawaii, 2 tix to Australia, 1 tix to Vegas, 4 tix to San Diego and we plan on a further trip to Hawaii for Xmas but have used FF points because the flights were so expensive. Will probably do a driving trip over Thanksgiving up to Seattle.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I clearly live in a different world than most on here. I would expect a poll like this to start at <$100 and end at at most $5000. I don't think i've spent more than $100 in any 1 year for vacations in my life. I'm considering spending close to $1000 next year, however, to visit family in Florida. Now that my mortgage is paid off I can somewhat justify spending that much for a non-necessity. I still may back out. That's a lot of money for me.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I clearly live in a different world than most on here. I would expect a poll like this to start at <$100 and end at at most $5000. I don't think i've spent more than $100 in any 1 year for vacations in my life. I'm considering spending close to $1000 next year, however, to visit family in Florida. Now that my mortgage is paid off I can somewhat justify spending that much for a non-necessity. I still may back out. That's a lot of money for me.
I wanted to make the poll bins of a sufficient size to capture the "frugal infrequent traveler" up to the luxury traveler. Some folks have 4-6 people in their family, and that of course can make even a simple vacation expensive.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

During early retirement, I have tentatively planned on $12000 a year in vacation/travel spending. I figure we will have a lot more time to travel, and can do longer extended trips.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

This varies from year to year but it always seems to land in the $2,000-$5,000 range for the 2 of us.

For $2,000, we get one 15-day trip to Europe.
For $5,000, we get two 15-day trips to Europe and one week-long trip to the west coast.

Once my wife retires, I hope we can get 1 trip to Europe plus lots of small RV trips throughout the year.

Note: we have lots of family and friends living in Europe and on the west coast so we enjoy free lodging and free meals on many of our trips.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here is where the problems comes in....

last year ago... buget $3,600... spent $13K..

upped the budget and talked to wife... budget $6K, spent $13K... so far this year!!!

Got to get the wife on board on how much this costs.... BTW, she is spending her money to make up a decent part of the difference between budget and spend... but not the full amount...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Texas,

I was actually curious how much people are actually spending, instead of solely a budgeted amount.

And I fully understand travel/vacation expenses varying year to year, since ours are the same way.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #15

Some travel is not necessarily "vacation" for my DW, she doesn't consider travel to my family's annual "beach week" family reunion as vacation... a portion of our last cruise was "business travel" for DW as it was a "Seminar at Sea", we packed 9 hrs of Seminar into a 16 day vacation... the most expensive individual item for that trip was her Airline ticket. For 2010 we budgeted 6k for travel, and we spent less than 5k.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Firedreamer: I am just curious How do you get a 15 day trip to Europe for 2 people for only $2000
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Some travel is not necessarily "vacation" for my DW, she doesn't consider travel to my family's annual "beach week" family reunion as vacation.
Heck, I feel the same. DW (while still wor*ing) takes vacation.

Me (while retired) don't get any more vacations - they are just "trips" ...

Actually, since I hate to travel, my "trips" are more like wo*k....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #18

Budget is about $3000 for the two months to ride my bike across the USA.
$300 for the Amtrak ticket to Seattle and $40 a day on the ride back.
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
Firedreamer: I am just curious How do you get a 15 day trip to Europe for 2 people for only $2000
We have family and friends living all over Europe. We crash in their guest bedrooms or in their vacant vacation homes for free. So we rarely pay anything for lodging. Often times they feed us too and lend us one of their vehicles to get around. So usually, our largest expense is airfare which ranges from $1,500 to $2,500 for 2 people depending on the season. Of course we return the favor when they come stateside. We just hosted a group of Germans last week.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

We budget 12K for the year, and we've already spent $13500 this year. Family of four.

That includes a couple of Costa Rica trips, DC trip, two Vegas trips (not with kids), 3 New Orleans trips, and some other smaller Texas trips. Most of it is air fare. Travelling with kids is expensive..........
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, travel, vacation