Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which are you/will you be? SIRE or FIRE?
SIRE, more than 50% covered by Corp or Govt benefits 62 38.04%
FIRE, more than 50% covered by your own personal holdings 101 61.96%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

100% SIRE on a non-cola'd megacorp pension. SS will be a nice bonus whenever we decide to take it, and investments will hopefully cover inflation and some toys in the future.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #42
Administrator

I expect pensions will cover over half of our basic living expenses, but we could easily increase our spending (e.g. for travel and riotous living) so that a 4% withdrawal rate on our own assets would exceed half of our total spending. (I assume zero for SS)

Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FIRE for me. Even though we have a pension and will be able to collect ss, I never wanted to depend on them. As a matter of fact, I've never really depended on anything. Hmmm. Uh oh...I'm getting deep...gotta stop that...
Old 10-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

FI on me. the RE part is rapidly getting away unless it's Real Estate, which is how I've understood it anywhere other than this forum. Going on month two with a property manager and modest involvement on my part with the rentals. There's a chance I can pretend to be out of rental management just before my 60th. No pension, health care is out of our pockets, SS might feed the cats...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

FIRE is still maintaining an almost 2 to 1 lead.

Pretty impressive!

Audrey
Old 10-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SIRE'd for now. Retired early in 2006 with a non-COLA pension from MegaCorp that covers more than 75% of monthly expenses. (DH is still employed and covers the rest.) Pension includes a temporary benefit that ceases at age 62, so I expect to apply for SS at that time. Not withdrawing any investments for now...
Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIRE, no pension / benefits. Living on IRA dividends via 72t withdrawals for 3 years now. If I ever see any SS it will just be gravy.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
FIRE is still maintaining an almost 2 to 1 lead.

Pretty impressive!

Audrey
I'm a little surprised, I thought it would be just the opposite based on earlier answers. I am guessing that while there are quite a few here with pensions and/or retiree health care, most have considerable private holdings as well.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm a little surprised, I thought it would be just the opposite based on earlier answers. I am guessing that while there are quite a few here with pensions and/or retiree health care, most have considerable private holdings as well.
We are living (or have lived through) a time that is thought to be a time of transition from pensions to 401K's. As 401K's take on more of the "load" of supporting retirees, pensions have often simultaneously decreased in size. Frank's megacorp pension will be about the same (tiny) size as mine, for example, and I think that a fairly common situation.

Also, with this being an Early Retirement forum, many here are planning to retire (or have retired) before SS eligibility kicks in. Many are assuming that they will not even get any SS.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's what I am so impressed by. In spite of pensions/benefits, a lot of ERs and wannabe ERs have aggressively saved and invested as well.

That was a really good, specific poll question.

And like W2R said, since pensions started to really disappear in the 1980s, maybe it is not so surprising, especially since this is an "ER" forum.

Audrey
Old 10-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #51

Quote:
I am in this camp.

Because traditional pensions are usually not transferable I realized at age 37 when I started work for my 4th company that I was also started anew on my 4th pension scheme and that I would probably be leaving that company as well before I retired so then began working on Plan B, and started to save for retirement rather than rely on a company pension. Of course, 18 years later and I'm still with the company so I am very fortunate indeed.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Going back to my earlier comments -- it seems like people who are *already* retired are more likely to have significant pensions than those who are still w*rking toward FIRE.

Which means either those who don't are getting better starts than most folks or else they are kidding themselves about being able to retire as early without one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

SIRE probably fits me better however, I like the sound of FIRE better, so I'll stick with that.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

SIRE for me too. 32 years with mega-corp so pension is cushion that allows for "confident" ER. Could ER without it but given the choice, I consider myself very fortunate to be SIRE.
We are also wise with our spending so could FIRE too if necessary but SIRE it is.