View Poll Results: Retired or Not
Retired 124 65.61%
Not 65 34.39%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Never, ever, EVER going to become a wage slave again, even if it was the end of the world.
Amen.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #22

I checked not retired, although I earned my KMA hat a while back.

Surprisingly, I find I don't mind this job. Perhaps because it is optional and I know it. This time of year I wouldn't be doing anything else anyway and when the weather gets decent again I'll ask to cut back to part time. With all the snow piled high it looks like it might be May before I can ride the motorcycle again.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #23

Not retired yet.......

(We need one of those weepy smilies.)
Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Not retired yet.......

(We need one of those weepy smilies.)
We have this one: It's one of the extra smilies that you can see if you hit "More" under the smilies.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Molly is retired ....BUT..........fell off the wagon and had a couple of short term gigs (weeks) that yielded some income.

Happy Mardi Gras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dat's fun.
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
We have this one: It's one of the extra smilies that you can see if you hit "More" under the smilies.
Thanks - I needed that.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Never, ever, EVER going to become a wage slave again, even if it was the end of the world.
Yeah, but are you really a "slave" if you're financially independent to the point where you can tell 'em to shove it if sucks or they give you a bunch of crap? To me, it's the FI aspect of it that is the key liberating force.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #28

Not working, but have never ruled out going back to something that I enjoy doing eventually, or maybe not, because I really enjoy what I'm doing now. Being a VITA volunteer makes me realize how much I also enjoy helping people. Not sure if that could lead to a job down the road or just more volunteering.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, but are you really a "slave" if you're financially independent to the point where you can tell 'em to shove it if sucks or they give you a bunch of crap? To me, it's the FI aspect of it that is the key liberating force.
Well, then it's consensual enslavement and while that's different from the true semi-enslavement of work, there's something just a wee bit kinky about that, from my perspective. Nope! I'm not going to work FOR anybody, for wages, ever again. There is not going to be any "them" to whom I can say "shove it".

But then bear in mind that I'm newly retired, and just tasted freedom in recent weeks, and perhaps a bit wildly enthusiastic....

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Well, it's your poll, so your definition.

In my opinion I'd call it "retired" if you are financially independent to the point where the FIRE numbers still work even without a part-time income -- in other words, you're still semi-w*rking because you *want* to and not because you *have* to.
FI doesnt equal RE (or retired for that matter)! FI describes a persons financial life whereas retired describes a persons working life; past, present and future intent. let me explain the work life part: past in that the person has to have worked or said person cant be retired; presently cant be working; and must have the intent that they arent going to be working in the future, otherwise they are just unemployed or on sabbatical. of course it helps to be FI if you want to be retired.

Quote:
yes FI can be the liberating force but if you dont stop working, you arent liberated
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
yes FI can be the liberating force but if you dont stop working, you arent liberated
But wait, if you are truly liberated then can't you choose to work if you want to? Now I am arguing Ziggy's side. These questions are so complex.

Oh well. I just know that I am retired and I am very happy about that fact.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I disagree. If you are working because you like it AND you are financially free to leave it at any time if you no longer want to do it, that is not any kind of "enslavement." One could certainly say it's not "retirement," but it's not like you are bound to your job by the desperate need for more paychecks.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

What about this...

1) Retired Military

2) Coach Basketball and Baseball for 3 hours max per day (November-Apr)

3) Part-Time work at local golf course 10 hours max per week (Nov-Apr)

4) Part-Time work at local golf course 30 hours max per week (May-Oct)

I don't consider any of this "work"...It is more of a fun thing to do to make money.
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I may need to revote. One of the little ole ladies that I plowed snow for (gratis) slipped a $20 bill into my mailbox.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

The problem is retirement is as long or longer than our working lives . We all need ways to fill that time and if it's volunteer work , a hobby, travel,a sport , dancing , writing ,browsing museums or a part time job kudos to all of us who successfully fill our time and lead productive lives for many years and none of the choices should be looked down on IMHO ! They are all just ways to fill up time Happily !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Who is already retired?

...and here I thought it was a simple and direct question...silly me...
Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I am already into my fifth year of retirement. I highly recommend it to everyone!
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #38

Quote:
...........Nope! I'm not going to work FOR anybody, for wages, ever again. There is not going to be any "them" to whom I can say "shove it".

But then bear in mind that I'm newly retired, and just tasted freedom in recent weeks, and perhaps a bit wildly enthusiastic....
The only one for me to tell "shove it" is, um.....me! And it's gonna stay dat way 'til they stick me in a hole in the ground and shovel dirt in my face!

In 1 month and 28 days, I'll have been retired for 3 years......and I'm still wildly enthusiastic!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Still working full time.
Me too - bummer.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #40

wow W2R you are tough, i support
Quote:
your post

Quote:
Well, then it's consensual enslavement and while that's different from the true semi-enslavement of work, there's something just a wee bit kinky about that, from my perspective. Nope! I'm not going to work FOR anybody, for wages, ever again. There is not going to be any "them" to whom I can say "shove it".
and then you respond with

Quote:
But wait, if you are truly liberated then can't you choose to work if you want to?
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote