View Poll Results: Retired or Not
Retired 124 65.61%
Not 65 34.39%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The only one for me to tell "shove it" is, um.....me! And it's gonna stay dat way 'til they stick me in a hole in the ground and shovel dirt in my face!

In 1 month and 28 days, I'll have been retired for 3 years......and I'm still wildly enthusiastic!!!
That's great!! I have a feeling that in 3 years I will STILL be wildly enthusiastic, just like you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I don't work but live off the earnings of DH so what does that make me?
Makes you Lucky Congrats!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 55, 6.5 yrs ago.
Larry
Old 02-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

51, retired 3+ years. It would take a lot more recession than the last couple years to ever get me to work again. I am enjoying it way too much.

I was FI the last 2+ years of work. While that status certainly removed the only stress I was subject to, I just consider that a pleasant period of my work-life, not any part of my retirement.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Who is already retired?

...and here I thought it was a simple and direct question...silly me...
LOL. Same here. Nothing as it seems, it seems................but I always enjoy everyone's differing perspectives!

I noticed the "retired" voters were outnumbering the "nots" at about 70 to 30 during the day, but then at night the "nots" started catching up. Fascinating! LOL. (hey, it was cold and rainy all day and I was bored).

I was guessing the poll would end up around 50/50. Seemed like a reasonable bet. Anyone wanna guess where it ends up?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #46

On the first day of Jan, 2004, I ceased being a "wage slave." Since then, I have done a little volunteering, but have not been paid for any labor. About 10 years or so behind Unclemick, but I'm qualified to be called retired. Life is good.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahhh I'm retired but I have 2 young kids which is lot of work overall. Husband is working 12-14 hours a day so we r not retired, waiting for the day when he would come home and we'll have fair distribution of household work :-) (But more than that because he would be a happier person post FIRE)
Old 02-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #48

Work!?! Me? No way, no how, no more. Been there done that. You couldn't pay me to work
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #49

Been retired for almost five years now.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #50
gone traveling

For the several people who reflected if a few hours a week working (even at different times of the year) are truly considered retired.

OK - let's start here:

Retired - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I believe we can agree with the definition supplied in #2 (e.g. "having completed one's working or professional career").

So some folks have completed their "career" (I never considered it a career - it was just a job, for me ), but then spend time in their "retirement" doing other things (for pay).

For me, that is an important point. If you do something for pay (regardless if it is a hobby, avocation, or anything else you want to call it), you probably also have a schedule you need to keep.

If you teach classes, you need to have a schedule. If you work at a golf course, you have to have a schedule. You have a schedule, and your time is valuable to others, who are counting on you to perform a function, on a specific schedule. That to me, is a major point on determining if you truly "retired", in the sense of the word.

I do volunteer work, by driving for the local meals-on-wheels (deliver meals to local folks who are elderly or disabled), and yes - I do have a schedule (one/two times a week, depending on the time of the year).

However, we travel quite often. There is no problem if I don't show up - there is a large roster of "retired " folks that can fill in, on my absence.

I've even had times that I woke in the morning, forgot what day it was (it happens ) and realize that I had planned to do something else that would conflict with my volunteer work. A problem? Not at all; I just call up the volunteer office and they get another person to fill in.

For me, the main thing is that in retirement, my time (other than scheduled by my DW ) is my own - to spend the way I wish, and in the manner that I desire. If I was compensated, I would feel "obligated" to ensure that I'm on a schedule - whatever it is (you could run a hobby shop in your basement, but you still would probably post your hours of you were open).

I never want to be in that situation, again.

There is certainly nothing wrong with those folks that upon leaving the daily grind of employment, and then spend a few hours a week (for pay) doing what they want to do. However, IMHO - those folks are semi-retired (yes there is a difference - please see my "pregnant" thought a few posts up in this thread )...
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I may need to revote. One of the little ole ladies that I plowed snow for (gratis) slipped a $20 bill into my mailbox.
Nope, you're still safe and soundly retired. It's for the gas tank, not you.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #52

I retired in November, 2008, at age 45. I am sooo glad I don't have to haul my sorry a$$ to my old office any more, especially in the terrible weather here in New York the last few days.

I do some volunteer work and have some hobbies, but those are the things I want to do and enjoy doing and for the most part don't have to answer to anyone (and they are local, too; no long trips in bad weather).

I have earned about $200 since I retired, some of which from my volunteer work (the school Scrabble teacher/coaches throw $25 at me when I run a tourney or other big all-day event. A neighbor in my building gave me $100 to clean up her PC after it had become badly infected with viruses and spyware, slowing it to a crawl.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Nope, you're still safe and soundly retired. It's for the gas tank, not you.
Agreed.

I had an elderly person give me a $50 "Christmas Gift" while delivering meals (my volunteer "work"). While I was quite surprised, I really did not want to keep the money.

However, I did not want to offend them by refusing the card/cash. To get around the "moral" implication, I simply gave it to the local meals-on-wheels program as an anonymous contribution...
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

Retired april 07 at the ripe old age of 54. love it and wish I could have done it sooner. not rich, we get by and enjoy life.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't say much for our credibility, but it's typical for this board to be able to generate over 50 posts of debate on the definition of "retired"...

... and still not arrive at a consensus.

Whatever it is, I've been doing it for a tad under eight years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess if that is what is considered "retired" then I am not in that sense.

But nothing feels better than getting up and watching the other half and the kids get off to school around 0730 and being able to sit around and do a college course (free I might add because of GI Bill and I get $500 extra a month for doing it), and then around 2ish go to the baseball field and coach high schoolers baseball for 3 hours or so.

Then if I "work" like this weekend...go in at 0700, get the carts out of the barn, count money, open the doors, get golfers out the door, and then get relieved at 1pm.

If that is not retired, then I don't ever want to know what work is again!

Considering I get paid $2100 for coaching (3 months) and $7.80/hr at the golf course, I think I get paid for doing something I love!

So I consider myself semi-retired, since I am doing fun stuff and getting paid to do it.....

Oh yea...forgot about my basketball refeering I do also ($25 for middle school, $36 for JV, and $51 for Varsity). Made close to $2,000 for getting exercise and taking a little grief from coaches and fans!

All in all...I have never been happier!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
Totally, completely, no reservations required Retired
Old 02-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Who is already retired?

...and here I thought it was a simple and direct question...silly me...
You should know by now that there is no such thing as a simple question around here!

As for me, I am unequivocally not retired...

By the way I was being totally facetious when I asked whether semi-retired people should be considered retired or not retired. I don't care either way .
Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to vote not retired, even though I am retired from DoD. However, I am employed full time, collecting a salary, but I am not actually doing any work as I have an employment agreement that requires my employer to pay me whether or not there is actual work to do. So it's up to them to send me work - I guess I am on contingency, but get paid either way. I know this won't keep up forever and I keep asking for something to do, but it sure is fun while it lasts.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
an employment agreement that requires my employer to pay me whether or not there is actual work to do
After all these years, I've finally found my dream job.