Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What kind of ER are you?
Investments provide nearly all my income 34 35.05%
Investments + pension (or social security) 20 20.62%
Working spouse helps a lot 4 4.12%
Semi-ER with some paying gigs 5 5.15%
Wage slave 30 30.93%
Pure Pensioner 4 4.12%
Hey, I am the working spouse! 0 0%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Poll: who is living solely off their investments?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dog, consider moving your REIT fund to your IRA and nudging your fixed income to more gov't bonds (depending on your state taxes).

TRUE CONFESSIONS
I have one of my REIT funds in a taxable acct. I bought it before we had rolled over any 401ks, so it was the only place to put it at the time. It did so well, I never sold it--thank you, VGSIX. (I have more REITs in our IRAs...ICF and FIREX in my rollover IRAs and IGR in the hubster's.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #22

Pension 38%
SS 27%
Investments 35%

Two persons, ALL of SS goes to FIT, SIT, RE Tax, MEDICARE Premiums, and Home Utilities (including HOA/Condo Fees). Debt free for the past 30 years. Rest goes to FOOD then the remainder is FUN MONEY (or darn, Savings/More Investments).

So I guess the answer is that we could live off the Pension OR the Investments. SS will not strech that far. Between the Pension OR the investment I guess is boils down to which bucket we are using.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I keep getting the sense that there are very few here who have retired solely on their investment nest egg. Who are the hardcore ER's who live or die based on the whim of Mr. Market?
5th year on the market tightrope. DW got a job to help pay last-childs college expenses, but a significant amout of kid expenses remain, which I pick up.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #24

All our income comes from investments.
I don't plan on SS being available when I get to 65 (or 70 or 75 as they increase the age requirement).
Currently much of it is in bonds, I plan to diversify as quickly as possible to individual dividend paying stocks for the income then etfs and a few funds. Probably 60/40 or 55/45.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I live entirely off investments, and have for some years. I would take a fee gig I could find that seemed low risk and not too hard. Almost my entire investing career has been in good markets. 1987 was the only real test. I mostly missed the 90s tech thing because it didn't make sense to me. I think today I may be better able to just run with it, but I had never seen anything like that before, and I had seen lots of busts before. Nevertheless, I made good money investing in the 90s though not the huge returns that some accomplished.

My benchmark accomplishment is one pre-tax account that in over 30 years has shown only one down year and an overall compounded return of just under 13% including stocks, bonds, cash, etc. As is shown by the consistency, I managed this account for safety as well as return.

I feel that I would have been much more successful if it weren't for the monthly requirement of paying the mortgage, feeding the kids, etc. It is much easier to make money if you can take a truly long term outlook, which pretty much disappears if you live off investments at any age, unless your stake is far greater than you need.

I canít quite shake the feeling that as investors we havenít been tested recently. It seems that life usually doesnít give you many broad and wide paths, so I am tryoing to stay well up on the balls of my feet.

Ha
Old 10-22-2006, 11:35 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

12% SS
23% Pension (Not Indexed)
60% Income from Portfolio
15% Savings (Hey it has been a great year!)
Old 10-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #27

Ha, aside from being one of my investing heroes (have you shared details lately? I'd love to check it out-13% regularly sounds fab to me--my goal is 12%), I have a part-time job idea. I was just called by a pollster (second time recently) about my voting proclivities/attitudes here in South Carolina. I had a nice chat with the lady (fellow NYer), including about the wording of some questions and the fact that Public TV was NOT one of the choices for most-watched TV channel ( : ). She sounded like she was having fun--not all polling clerks are dunderheads. If you'd like to put your finger on the pulse of America (and/or listen to their gripes!), you might enjoy telephone polling (so to speak-).
Old 10-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #28

Oh, Oh, kcowan you are spending 10% more than you have.