Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who manages the $$ in your house
I do, and I'm the female 58 27.62%
I do, and I'm the male 116 55.24%
I'm in a same-sex relationship, and I do it 4 1.90%
We share it 50/50 32 15.24%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #61

DW and I share expenses close to 50-50. We have separate checking accounts, credit cards, and investments. I help her as needed with decisions, etc.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
my wife controls all finances. I ask for permission to spend.
That's kind of how it works in our household.

Well, DH does take care of the annual Federal income taxes, although I handle the estimated taxes. I do discuss investment plans with him a couple of times a year. He just likes to hear the results and otherwise relies on his personal financial planner (me).

Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW takes care of the monthly bills and such, I take care of the financial stuff for the most part. She does stay in the loop however. When it comes to taxes, I do the initial work, then print off a copy so DW can "correct" the "many errors" I make..............

Marrying a accountant has its "rewards".............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do it all. I give DW money into her separate checking account for her gas and groceries. I budget and pay all the bills all the financial planning and tax returns. She falls asleep when I try to talk to her about our finances. She has a separate checking account and has never balanced her checkbook. She just checks the balance on line and makes estimates on what she can spend. She rarely writes checks and uses debit card only to prevent overdraft.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
She has a separate checking account and has never balanced her checkbook. She just checks the balance on line and makes estimates on what she can spend. She rarely writes checks and uses debit card only to prevent overdraft.
OMG, this must be my husband's sister.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #66
Administrator

One of the most delightful things about living alone, is that I am solely responsible for money management in my house, and I am also the only one spending anything. So, I didn't vote.

When I was married, I did ALL the money management, and I mean all. My ex literally did not even know how to write a check or pay a bill. He used the credit cards for purchasing, and otherwise had no interest in money management.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #67

I do.....male. My wife simply does not have an interest at all. We've been married for over 40 years so we know each other's spending habits and our finances keep up with that. She puts everything on a credit card and we have a joint checking account that she has never balanced ever. All of our bills are automatic draft so that's not an issue either. Every once in a while she will ask me how our funds are doing and I show her. I make very few moves with out market accounts but when I do I explain it to her and make sure she understands why and agrees to it.
She is not a spend thrift so that helps a lot. Just to be fair, I'm not either.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #68

I do it all dam**t ! DW used to handle it all, except for IRA/401K etc. until she hit a healthcare problem. I got it all temporarily. I'm still waiting to give it back. That said, I prepare an annual letter to DW/heirs just in case or if there is a big change. File it and show her how to find it. Pretty simple actually.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do it all; female.

My challenge with DH and finances is well-documented on this forum. Thankfully about a year ago he became very interesting in early retirement, so while I still do all of the finance, he's interested.

We keep it simple with index funds and I use Quicken, so having him take over would be a breeze. He knows where all of our money is, knows where to find the passwords and how to rebalance should he ever need to pick that up.

I do need to do some more education on income streams, tax loss harvesting and the like, but baby steps are best.