Join Early Retirement Today

Pondering additional p-t job
Old 04-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pondering additional p-t job

I am planning to stay in my f-t job another year, then hit the parachute. I have the opportunity to do an additional p-t job at 20k for the year. It seems to make less than 2% difference in my Firecalc results. I'd see about 12-13 k of it. I would not much like this job. I lean toward not taking it. Anybody have thoughts about what you would do if you were in my place?
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before you fall into that trap, back away slowly...

Old 04-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since you say you wouldn't like it, I would probably not take it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Are you smoking meth? This is a horrible idea.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

I can offer this from personal experience - 6mos. to a year without a paycheck will do wonders to clarify your perspective.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

If taking the job would:

(i) make it easier to sleep at nights after FIREing; and

(ii) reduce the risk of falling victim to one-more-year syndrome,

it might be worth considering given that it does swing the FIRECalc meter a little bit.

If all else fails, look on the experience as something designed to make retireing early an even more pleasant experience.

Personally, I would not.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This doesn't sound like a parachute, rather falling down the next flight of stairs.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If it is something you enjoy doing, go for it. Otherwise, if you don't need the money why knock yourself out working so much now and then not at all in a year?

Or in Buddhist terms, "Only a middle path, avoiding these two extremes, leads to peace of mind, wisdom, & complete liberation from the dissatisfactions of life." ~ Bhante Gunaratana
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #9

What do you mean with "part time" ? Do you mean like 10% or 90% of normal workload ? What is the part time % you are comfortable with ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
I am planning to stay in my f-t job another year, then hit the parachute. I have the opportunity to do an additional p-t job at 20k for the year. It seems to make less than 2% difference in my Firecalc results. I'd see about 12-13 k of it. I would not much like this job. I lean toward not taking it. Anybody have thoughts about what you would do if you were in my place?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #10

If you really need the extra money for your peace of mind and you like your current job might it make sense to stay FT for 6 extra months rather than a year at a PT job you don't like?
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

It's about 10 hours/week. Unfortunately, in academia things work in one-year increments--there is no six months. I'm rather thinking it is a bad idea at this point: thank you all so much for your thoughts!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

I think you should take it, just so when you quit you'll never be tempted to do something like that again. volunteering for something you enjoy sound much more fun, doesn't it?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I think you should take it, just so when you quit you'll never be tempted to do something like that again. volunteering for something you enjoy sound much more fun, doesn't it?

I agree! Sounds like he will hate this job and doesn't really need the money, so he should take it.

My first 2 jobs were fast food and retail...so boring and such low pay that every job after those 2 jobs seem like a piece of cake.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I think you should take it, just so when you quit you'll never be tempted to do something like that again.
Oh, I dunno. That sounds like beating yourself on the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop.

No, I would not take a part time job that I disliked. There is enough misery in the world without adding more.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
It's about 10 hours/week. Unfortunately, in academia things work in one-year increments--there is no six months. I'm rather thinking it is a bad idea at this point: thank you all so much for your thoughts!
That sounds like a lot of work and how much of the compensation will go to taxes?

I imagine you will be offered a similar assignment after you leave your full-time job, when the money might be nice but taking it would tie you down schedule-wise (at least right now your ft job already ties you down). Have you thought about what your response would be to that potential future offer and apply it to this one?