Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Porter Stansberry - endofamerica2
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Porter Stansberry - endofamerica2

I have been hearing commercials on our local talk radio station about a guy who had predicted the collapse of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, GM and Bear Stearns and that he had made a new prediction that we must hear. My curiousity got the better of me and I checked it out last night.

So after listening to a full hour of explanations, some of which actually made sense, I got to the crux of the matter where he pitched his newsletter and gave some advice. The basic premise was that the US dollar will soon no longer be the base currency for international trade in oil and this will cause the economy to collapse. He advised running to international investments, gold and silver and of course several other secret things that would be mentioned in his books and newsletters.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge or put any credibility to Stansberry Research or is he just another alarmist?

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #2

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ica-53872.html
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatika View Post
he pitched his newsletter and gave some advice.
His newletters run from $99 to $5000 / year. If they are that expensive, they must be good right?
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's over. It's all over.

The world was supposed to end in 2000. And... it didn't. Then it was supposed to end in 2008... So close but no medal. OK, 2012 for sure, right? Come on people, we all know it's coming! Stop fightin' it!

"Buy international investments!". Oh and I like how the rest of the world will just keep chugging along even as America's economy collapses. As they say, when America catches a cold, the rest of the world sneezes. Like when the housing market teeters in America, banks and governments all over the world suddenly find themselves on the verge of collapse. So, I wonder, what would happen to the rest of the world if America had a stroke... No one left to guarantee the safety of South Korea or Japan... No one left to temper the ambitions of China... No one left to buy all the cr@p other countries produce. Millions of Chinese citizens unemployed. Trillions of Chinese currency reserves suddenly rendered worthless. But your international investments would fare just fine... Really.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
His newletters run from $99 to $5000 / year. If they are that expensive, they must be good right?
Actually they were $49.50 and included 5 free reports/booklets. I didn't buy them.... I think the Yugoslavia simile and the holocaust references helped me make up my mind

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Even Buffett has been quoted saying "...the U.S. dollar will become less important over time as other economies grow faster."

It's a logical statement but what's different about how Buffet said it was there was no doom and gloom attached to the event.

Buffett sees uneven recovery, craves big deals | Reuters
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

There's also this prediction:

May 21, 2011, Judgment Day, Rapture, End World

Some folks may want to rethink their SWR if they buy into this prediction.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Even Buffett has been quoted saying "...the U.S. dollar will become less important over time as other economies grow faster."

It's a logical statement but what's different about how Buffet said it was there was no doom and gloom attached to the event.

Buffett sees uneven recovery, craves big deals | Reuters
There will likely end up being an all-world currency at some point. Look at Europe where everyone had their own currency (and some still do).

Stansberry seems to have a "selective perspective" regarding his own activities. He may also have a persecution complex, if you've ever read some of his articles discussing the SEC investigation.

At the end of the day, you must do your own homework and not rely on a single source for your information. Only then will you arrive at an neutral perspective on particular investments or economic outlook.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmmm... He accepts payment in DOLLARS?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
There's also this prediction:

Some folks may want to rethink their SWR if they buy into this prediction.
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that my Public School has it's 50th anniversary reunion that day? Honest I did not think we were that bad.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
This is undoubtedly true but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. People have a habit of confusing relative decline for absolute decline. The US is experiencing the former yet most everyone jumps to the conclusion that the latter must happen. They never explain why. Probably because they don't really understand economics, or because they get paid more when they have doom to sell. At the same time, it's hard to see how we're hurt by the relative rise of our trading partners.

Are we really worse off if they have more income to buy stuff from us and have the technology and infrastructure to build innovative stuff that we can buy from them? Most alarmists think so. But then they see international economics as a death match over a fixed income pie. Someone's gain must come at someone's expense. But that's not the way the world works. As income grows, the pie grows. It's possible for everyone to be better off. But that message probably doesn't sell as many subscriptions.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
His FIRE plan in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Hmmm... He accepts payment in DOLLARS?
Which he immediately converts to beaver cheese futures...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Which he immediately converts to beaver cheese futures...
Hmmmm. I hesitate to ask...?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

"There's also this prediction:

Some folks may want to rethink their SWR if they buy into this prediction. "

Party at my house on May 20.....
DaCounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
This is undoubtedly true but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. People have a habit of confusing relative decline for absolute decline. The US is experiencing the former yet most everyone jumps to the conclusion that the latter must happen. They never explain why. Probably because they don't really understand economics, or because they get paid more when they have doom to sell. At the same time, it's hard to see how we're hurt by the relative rise of our trading partners.

Are we really worse off if they have more income to buy stuff from us and have the technology and infrastructure to build innovative stuff that we can buy from them? Most alarmists think so. But then they see international economics as a death match over a fixed income pie. Someone's gain must come at someone's expense. But that's not the way the world works. As income grows, the pie grows. It's possible for everyone to be better off. But that message probably doesn't sell as many subscriptions.
Exactly. The "free market" is not a zero-sum game. In fact, it's the exact opposite because it is fueled by self-interest and innovation.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stansberry