Portfolio as Art

Mdlerth

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is your portfolio beautiful? When you get a statement that shows you have a cozy stash that will see you through your post-paycheck years, do you just like to look at it?

Over the years, DW and I have done a lot of home improvement projects. Some of them have turned out surprisingly well, and combine function with aesthetic appeal. When we complete a floor replacement, with every tile level and straight and square, I like to look at it and marvel at its symmetry. "Good job, Mrs. Mdlerth," I'll say. "Let's toast this accomplishment."

Similarly, I wonder how many of us view our retirement portfolio as a thing of beauty? Most of us put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into building it. Do we get the same satisfaction from looking at our IRAs and TSPs and stock accounts, recalling how much effort it took to make them into something?

It sounds like this would lead to an emotional attachment, and you shouldn't invest emotionally. You should buy, liquidate and exchange investments based on sound financial fundamentals.

Besides, with transaction costs so low, it should be simple to build the portfolio you want within the settlement time. There may be some tax consequences that could have you hold an investment, but otherwise it should not be a project to build.

If you're just talking about the account values, sure, I get a lot of satisfaction from that, and the statement can be a nice reflection.

With the exception of a small amount in individual Google stock (soon to be sold), my entire portfolio is in 3 index funds. Very little work went into creating it, and even less into maintaining it.

I do like looking at the total amount though. Those numbers are really quite attractive to gaze at :LOL:

Is your portfolio beautiful? When you get a statement that shows you have a cozy stash that will see you through your post-paycheck years, do you just like to look at it?

Over the years, DW and I have done a lot of home improvement projects. Some of them have turned out surprisingly well, and combine function with aesthetic appeal. When we complete a floor replacement, with every tile level and straight and square, I like to look at it and marvel at its symmetry. "Good job, Mrs. Mdlerth," I'll say. "Let's toast this accomplishment."

Similarly, I wonder how many of us view our retirement portfolio as a thing of beauty? Most of us put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into building it. Do we get the same satisfaction from looking at our IRAs and TSPs and stock accounts, recalling how much effort it took to make them into something?
I admire my statements lately. They were, at one time, an eye sore:LOL:.

I look at them briefly then open the binder and replace the last months with the new one.

I have a page in one of my spreadsheets that I take some pride in tending to. By tending, I mean re-balancing. So the actual percent of the asset class is plotted over time, and it's supposed to be between the upper and lower bounds. I consider it someone artfully crafted if, after I re-balance, the lines go to the center of the corridors.

I never thought of it as "art" nor is it "beautiful" in and of itself. But my port does allow me to do some really beautiful things (live in Paradise, help those in need, keep my DW happy, live without want, etc.) YMMV

I never thought of it as "art" nor is it "beautiful" in and of itself. But my port does allow me to do some really beautiful things (live in Paradise, keep my DW happy, live without want, etc.)

+1. I would add travel, and buy all the photography equipment that I reasonably need. I don't feel like I can share it with anyone else except DW, but I do get a lot of satisfaction from our NW.

If you're just talking about the account values, sure, I get a lot of satisfaction from that, and the statement can be a nice reflection.

But not as art.

I view my portfolio as an engine.

A machine that requires occasional monitoring and minor adjustments along the way but overall it hums along and supplies my needs.

But I do like to watch all the machinations, all the levers and wheels going around quietly and efficiently.

1/3 my portfolio is silver and gold bullion, it's pretty nice to look at, much better than a bunch of digits on paper or the computer screen

A machine that requires occasional monitoring and minor adjustments along the way but overall it hums along and supplies my needs.
Sounds like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

This thread topic is something you won't see in a bear market.
That is when my engine slows down enough for me to make adjustments, replace parts and get ready for the next rev-up.

That is when my engine slows down enough for me to make adjustments, replace parts and get ready for the next rev-up.

At my age I am more concerned about the possibility that the next up turn would be too long in coming i.e. a bear market that is very long term. But we're getting a bit ahead of this current happy story. And I do admit to enjoying the ride. :)

Over the years, DW and I have done a lot of home improvement projects. Some of them have turned out surprisingly well, and combine function with aesthetic appeal.

Slightly off topic, but congratulations on holding your marriage together while collaborating on HI projects. Well done!

Slightly off topic, but congratulations on holding your marriage together while collaborating on HI projects. Well done!
Since my DW has much more color and fashion sense than I do, I let her project input be the way we go.
So far in the 10 years we have lived here, we have done the following:
Installed plantation shutters
Replaced the tile kitchen counters with granite with new sink and faucet
Replaced the porch decking with Trex
Refinished the cabinets and had all new drawers made
Painted some of the interior walls with a contrasting color
Replaced the stove,dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator
Added "summer lighting" over our porch (20 small lights)
Added corbels to the porch to give a more Victorian look and painted the house a different color

Yes, a portfolio can be art. We painted this over a 30-year period.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
I view my portfolio as an engine.

But I do like to watch all the machinations, all the levers and wheels going around quietly and efficiently.

I don't view our portfolio as Art or an Engine. Rather, I think of it as a lovely garden that needs regular attention, a little weeding here, and pruning there, a garden which ebbs and flows with different plants yielding more at times, some unexpected spurts of growth and at times it succumbs to blight or needs to winter over before reemerging with new growth in the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom