Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Portfolio rebalancing question - Variable Annuity
Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Portfolio rebalancing question - Variable Annuity

I have a variable annuity from USAllianz called High Five. Normally I would put a VA on the equity side of the ledger for rebalancing purposes. This product allows me to take the money and run and I get to take the highest account balance in the last five years. I am subject to no withdrawal penalties come Aug 2012 and my that is within the 5 year window of my Oct '07 high. Currently my balance is $123K, come August '12 I can walk away with $146,500 even if the current balance at that time is below that figure.

So for rebalancing purposes this year would you consider this a fixed asset or an equity?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I have a variable annuity from USAllianz called High Five.
I'll wager the VA got the name from what the sales team does after the buyer signs on the dotted line...;D

EDIT: Ooops. Sorry, that wasn't helpful and didn't answer your question.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Assuming your principal is protected (is this some sort of an EIA-type product?), I'd consider it a fixed asset worth $123K appreciating to $146,500 in August 2012, at which time I'd cash it out. As far as you are concerned, it's probably more like a bond than a stock, although it sounds like it could be worth even more if the market continues its recovery.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks and yes Ziggy that is correct. There is a chance it could be worth more come Aug 2012 if the market trends upward, and I can walk away with that balance as well. Given the promise of the $146500 come Aug 12th I am inclined to treat this VA as a fixed asset for the purpose of overall portfolio rebalancing at this time as you suggested. Irregardless of opinions on the merit of VA's I want to be sure I treat it properly for my own calculations. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
I want to be sure I treat it properly for my own calculations. Thanks again.

Just don't forget that if you adjust your AA treating the VA as a fixed investment now, you'll need to invest those dollars in fixed investments when they come out of the VA. This won't be any different than if you had a bond or CD maturing, etc. But attractive fixed investments are hard to come by now..... and may or may not be in Aug, 2012. So plan ahead.