Join Early Retirement Today

Portfolio strategy
Old 06-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Portfolio strategy

The post about the difference between betting on horse racing and investing got me thinking.
What portfolio strategy did you use to get you to FIRE and also if it changed once you were FIREd? They are so many different strategies consisting of buckets, RIPs, four pillars, widows, wellessy, etc. that I wonder how folks came to a decision.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Portfolio strategy
Old 06-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Re: Portfolio strategy

Not FIREd yet, but one thing I have started doing since I remade my portfolio to be a bit more conservative is to take very high risk/high reward bets using options with very small amounts of money. If my bet pans out, I make a huge % return in a short time. If it doesn't, either the options expire worthless or I lose a small chunk of money cashing them out for less than I paid. Obviously not for the faint of heart, but it adds some potential upside to my portfolio, and sometimes those bets work out.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote