Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Personal Capital and my trusty spreadsheet for Asset Location and Allocation. Even if Personal capital cannot pick up the ticker, it allows you to break the security down to an equivalent type of security.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I have used Personal Capital without any issues. They will download the holdings of your 401K and it's free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Personal Capital cannot track my 401K funds. My 401K is full of obscure funds.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
I use Personal Capital and my trusty spreadsheet for Asset Location and Allocation. Even if Personal capital cannot pick up the ticker, it allows you to break the security down to an equivalent type of security.
I hadn't heard of Personal Capital before, so went over for a look. I couldn't tell what their business model was. Giving away a planning tool, but how do they make money?

Since I'm uncomfortable giving out credentials to my financial sites, I wondered if one could utilized their model by entering data instead of them pulling data.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I hadn't heard of Personal Capital before, so went over for a look. I couldn't tell what their business model was. Giving away a planning tool, but how do they make money?
They call you and try to sell you financial services.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
They call you and try to sell you financial services.
They call you every week trying to get your business so
I closed my account with them because they would not give up.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
They call you every week trying to get your business so I closed my account with them because they would not give up.
That's not been my experience. I have twice opened an account with Personal Capital. Got one phone call each time. Never heard from them again.

It's a very good free tool. Not perfect, but getting better all the time. You do have to be comfortable providing your login credentials to a third party, which is a show-stopper for some.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

CObra and I had the same experiences. I do get an occasional email telling me my portfolio is up 0.6% this week and notices when I log on that I may have too much in cash, etc. But, no high pressure sales. I like the tool; but, it doesn't handle my defined benefit plan properly.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:28 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
CObra and I had the same experiences. I do get an occasional email telling me my portfolio is up 0.6% this week and notices when I log on that I may have too much in cash, etc. But, no high pressure sales. I like the tool; but, it doesn't handle my defined benefit plan properly.

Same experience. I receive a call once a year to attend a dinner/party. I let them know I am not interested in anyone managing my portfolio but me. No pressure from them at all. They recently added a retirement analysis tool that I like.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Since I'm uncomfortable giving out credentials to my financial sites, I wondered if one could utilized their model by entering data instead of them pulling data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
You do have to be comfortable providing your login credentials to a third party, which is a show-stopper for some.
So the tool does or does not allow you to just type stuff in, without providing credentials from financial sites?
Old 12-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I did you the VG site for this by adding my other non-VG holdings. It's worked reasonably well. I now use a Google Sheets spreadsheet that I set up myself.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn_the_Page View Post
I did you the VG site for this by adding my other non-VG holdings. It's worked reasonably well. I now use a Google Sheets spreadsheet that I set up myself.
I've used the Vanguard site for some individual stocks for which I hold certificates, but it doesn't calculate an asset allocation, does it?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #31

Quote:
So the tool does or does not allow you to just type stuff in, without providing credentials from financial sites?
Personal Capital is an account aggregation site, like Mint and others. It's intended to automatically pull in data from all your financial institutions and provide a big-picture view of the portfolio and associated transactions (asset allocation and other portfolio analytics). There's also a new retirement planning tool, which looks promising.

That said, I believe it is possible to enter "manual" holdings. You just enter all your tickers and manually maintain the share counts. You won't get transactional information, but I think the portfolio analytics and other site functionality will work exactly the same.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
That said, I believe it is possible to enter "manual" holdings.
Thanks for that bit of wisdom. And after getting that, I did go into the Personal Capital site and prove to myself that you can enter manually (use the "+"). It did kind of nag me at first to link accounts, and thought maybe they didn't allow manual data entry, but I finally got the hang of it.

So here's what I think I learned after playing just a little bit with it:
  • Real phone and real email address are not required
  • Manual data entry is not difficult
  • Things without tickers may still be added
  • Things without tickers can accept a manual asset allocation
  • Good set of asset allocation categories
  • The user interface for asset allocation is great (click around and get visual breakdowns)
  • Efficient Frontier analysis and other items under "Investment Checkup" are very nice/helpful (see image - 'conservative' target selected).
  • Don't put anything in the "CASH" bucket if you want to see it in the asset allocation
  • Couldn't find a way to enter insurance products, so guaranteed income fund in my 401k had to go in as bonds
  • 401k entries required proxy tickers and book-keeping on my end to convert share counts
  • Retirement planner is not very detailed
  • Retirement planner uses grand assumption: overall tax rate instead of by account type
  • Did not find a place to enter whether pension was inflation adjusted or not, but mine is small, so didn't look too hard

Asset Allocation Categories:
Code:
US Stocks: Large Cap Value 
US Stocks: Large Cap Core 
US Stocks: Large Cap Growth 
US Stocks: Mid Cap Value 
US Stocks: Mid Cap Core 
US Stocks: Mid Cap Growth 
US Stocks: Small Cap Value 
US Stocks: Small Cap Core 
US Stocks: Small Cap Growth
Intl Stocks: Emerging 
Intl Stocks: Developed
US Bonds: Municipal 
US Bonds: Corporate 
US Bonds: Government
Intl Bonds: Corporate 
Intl Bonds: Government
Alternatives: Real Estate 
Alternatives: Commodities 
Alternatives: Energy 
Alternatives: Gold 
Alternatives: Other
Cash:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg efffront.jpg (33.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding Personal Capital:

Their business model is to provide the site for free. They hope to make money by selling their money management services, for which they charge a sliding scale beginning with 0.79% for accounts with $1MM to $3MM, and decreasing as assets under management increases.

If you don't want to but their services, don't ever return a phone call from those guys.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

PersonalCapital is great ... However, the phone calls were a bit annoying.

I simply blocked the phone number they call from and have never gotten another call If you are an iphone user, its as simple as going to your missed calls, selecting it, and scrolling to the bottom where it says "Block Caller"
Old 12-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

If you sign up for T-Rowe Price Investment Tools (free, even for non TRP customers), you get access to Morningstar Portfolio Manager including tracking, performance, full x-ray, etc...