Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Portfolio tracking website
Old 12-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there a portfolio tracking website which will track my taxable account mutual funds and bonds, and also track my 401K funds? I'd like to have a big picture view of my entire portfolio at the end of each quarter etc. showing what my current vs. target asset allocation. The difficulty I have is how to show the proprietary funds that are in my 401k as it appears their fund symbols are not tracked?? Anyone else have a good way to do this?
Raymond01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Morningstar. You can sort by week,month, 1,5,10 and 15 years etc. Does an analysis of your AA, stock intersections and so on.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Will it allow me to track my 401k funds?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Long time Morningstar user here as well, plus it's free.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond01 View Post
Will it allow me to track my 401k funds?
Yes
Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If your 401(k) has no ticker symbols, then I don't see how Morningstar can directly track your 401(k).

One can use proxy funds, but I don't think you want to. And it appears that you want things to be done automatically, so that the web site logs into your 401(k) and scrapes the information and presents it to you.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

I have used Personal Capital without any issues. They will download the holdings of your 401K and it's free.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Personal Capital cannot track my 401K funds. My 401K is full of obscure funds.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

All the account aggregation tools I've dealt with (Personal Capital, Mint, and Fidelity Full-View) had difficulty with tickerless funds within employer-sponsored plans. Some have workarounds, but it is never fully automated. For example, DW owns an S&P 500 index fund in a 457b which has no ticker. Fidelity Full-View pulls in the correct account balance and transactions, but cannot classify it in the asset allocation because there is no ticker symbol. Personal Capital allows me to assign an asset class or provide a surrogate ticker such as SPY.

I think Personal Capital may work best for you. I really like the portfolio analytics and the very detailed drill-down into asset allocation vs target. But I share your frustration with the obscure tickerless funds. I can't wait for DW to retire so I can roll her 457b into an IRA at Fidelity and be done with that nonsense.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I went in to Morningstar and forgot that I had entered my funds a few years ago. I deleted everything and started over and entered everything again. It isn't the slickest portfolio organizer but it will do for now. My employer moved the ESOP into our 401K plan and have it set up as a fund, but no symbol for that one, so I just took the dollar amount and entered it as though it was shares of common stock. The fund has a different share price than the common stock, so I had to fudge things to get a value that it understood.

Thanks for reminding me about Morningstar!
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:28 AM   #11

If you happen to have an account at Fidelity, you can use "Full View" to see all of your mutual funds at all of your accounts.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I use Morningstar. You can sort by week,month, 1,5,10 and 15 years etc. Does an analysis of your AA, stock intersections and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Long time Morningstar user here as well, plus it's free.
I put my holdings in Morningstar but I can't see how to get an AA review for free. XRay requires premium membership. Am I missing something?
Old 12-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
If you happen to have an account at Fidelity, you can use "Full View" to see all of your mutual funds at all of your accounts.
You can add all your accounts to Fidelity but you have to update them manually. I usually do this every 5-6 months to see an accurate portfolio for investing and retirement purposes. The Fidelity funds are automatically updated daily.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I put my holdings in Morningstar but I can't see how to get an AA review for free. XRay requires premium membership. Am I missing something?
You can use the Instant X-ray feature (under the Tools tab), but it won't save it. You have to enter all your holdings every time you use it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You can use the Instant X-ray feature (under the Tools tab), but it won't save it. You have to enter all your holdings every time you use it.
Thanks, I found it. Not much better than my hand coded version in my spreadsheet.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #16

Actually, Portfolio can be customized to varying views of your portfolio info, which you may/may not store in your spreadsheet. The customization stays, but you need to adjust holdings for changes over time.

I don't use it for a weekly review, but for an occasional view of my holdings. But, again, if you are dealing with private funds without a ticker, it is of limited use.

- Rita
Old 12-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thx for the input everyone.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #18

Anyone with all of their funds with VG, but still use an additional PF tracker? I find VG good enough for my needs since my PF is simple one. I am curious if anyone with all accounts at VG has found any advantages using outside PF trackers as well.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There's a feature of LastPass that can manage that for you: Tools > Save All Entered Data. LastPass is primarily a password manager, but it's handy for things like this too.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
There's a feature of LastPass that can manage that for you: Tools > Save All Entered Data. LastPass is primarily a password manager, but it's handy for things like this too.
Wow. I just tried Last Pass with Instant Xray and it works.

Thanks for the tip since this will be very useful in retaining data.

littleb is offline   Reply With Quote