Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Seems to me there is more good to low oil prices than bad.
There are a LOT more positives to cheap oil than expensive oil. ~85% of the companies in the S&P benefit from it.

Consumers benefit from it, unless they are employed in the oil industry.

Any one that says cheap oil is bad is only thinking about a small section of the economy. It's easy to raise the price of oil, just tax it.

You can then redistribute the tax money to whoever needs it the most, like oil company execs, bankers and NFL team owners.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
On the plus side, gasoline here just fell to below $2/gallon.
We have had gas below $2/gal for a while. I recently filled up at $1.81.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yes, but its very much tempered by the fact that approx 25% of the "decrease" in oil price you see, is really the USD becoming stronger than other currencies.

So the US folks see a huge drop in oil prices.

So if you live in Korea you don't see such a big drop in the oil price as the WON has decreased in value compared to the USD (and oil is sold in USD).

Same in Canada, since the CDN went down about 30% to the USD, they are not seeing the big drop in oil prices.
Good point.

The Canadian dollar is down to US$0.70. And it's similar with Australian, New Zealand, Singapore dollars. Three years ago, CDN and AUD were on parity with USD.

I guess I should convert my shrinking stash to one of these currencies to feel rich, or go take a long vacation there.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We have had gas below $2/gal for a while. I recently filled up at $1.81.

Good point.

The Canadian dollar is down to US$0.70. And it's similar with Australian, New Zealand, Singapore dollars. Three years ago, CDN and AUD were on parity with USD.

I guess I should convert my shrinking stash to one of these currencies to feel rich, or go take a long vacation there.

We are getting "ripped off " where I live...Oil is now way below the trough price it reached in late 2008 or 09. It got to $1.21, I remember. We are still paying $1.55 now. Them darn refiners are pocketing the extra profits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #24

we aren't even under $2 a gallon here for 87 - rip off
Old 01-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
We are getting "ripped off " where I live...Oil is now way below the trough price it reached in late 2008 or 09. It got to $1.21, I remember. We are still paying $1.55 now. Them darn refiners are pocketing the extra profits!
Speaking of the greedy refiners, Valero is doing well. I did not get enough of it, doggone it.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #26

Valero is selling $1.55 per gallon around here.
We paid 1.67 last night. Spouse remarked, "this can't be a good thing for everybody."
Old 01-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Valero is selling $1.55 per gallon around here.
We paid 1.67 last night. Spouse remarked, "this can't be a good thing for everybody."
Ahh, the good old days when oil was $150/barrel. I'd rather it be good for the common worker than Saudi oil Shieks.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #28

A while back the chorus of peak oil, end of the world as we knew it was deafening. How come on the end of the oil age oil is getting dirt cheap?

Oh never mind!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Ahh, the good old days when oil was $150/barrel. I'd rather it be good for the common worker than Saudi oil Shieks.

Common workers work in energy and related businesses. Oh well, they knew it was a cyclical business when they took the job!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

To the OP's question, the cruise lines are benefiting big time. Carnival (CCL) and Royal Caribbean (RCL) for example. I believe both are near all time highs. The demand for cruises and resulting prices are also higher than I've seen in the past 7-8 years. Couple that with lower fuel inputs and they should continue to have very good profitability.

Unless this is the start of an economic downturn (commodities being leading indicators), in which case the cruise fares will drop due to tapering demand.