Join Early Retirement Today

Possible Megacorp Retiree Health Care Changes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Possible Megacorp Retiree Health Care Changes

Has anyone Read this article:
Retiree health benefits: Facing extinction? - Elizabeth O'Brien's Retire Well - MarketWatch
Quote:
With early retirees guaranteed access to health insurance, many companies are considering dropping their coverage for this segment of the population, experts say. Some instead are considering giving their employees money to use on the public exchanges. 3M plans to shift early retirees from their current coverage, which is similar to what active employees receive, over to the public exchanges in 2015, with company contributions to health reimbursements accounts helping to defray retirees’ costs.
I have not heard of any changes from my Megacorp yet, but I do expect things to change somehow. My old Megacorp currently pays 75% of my healthcare policy and half of the dental and vision premiums. They self-insure with the plans administered by Aetna.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
gone traveling

if your company gives you early retiree medical insurance they just may say heres' some money as our share-go buy your own-probably still a good deal

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
Has anyone Read this article:
Retiree health benefits: Facing extinction? - Elizabeth O'Brien's Retire Well - MarketWatch

I have not heard of any changes from my Megacorp yet, but I do expect things to change somehow. My old Megacorp currently pays 75% of my healthcare policy and half of the dental and vision premiums. They self-insure with the plans administered by Aetna.
Interesting article, thanks! I forwarded it to Frank, since he has retiree medical coverage presently, but has to pay somewhere around $800-$900/month for his share of the cost, IIRC. Due to pre-existing conditions that has been his only option up to now, but he might be able to do better with subsidized insurance from the exchanges. (Fortunately, knows somewhat more about this than I do but he is still working on it).

He has not heard anything from his Megacorp yet either. They also self-insure with plans administered by Aetna so it could even be the same Megacorp.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

I have heard this suggested before. I suspect it will come down to a decision by each mega-corp, and such decision are usually driven by what will cost them less.

I actually have a heathcare benefit from my former mega-corp that will guarantee my benefit, so in my case they will not have that choice.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

It wouldn't be a terrible thing if it were "revenue neutral" (i.e. if the Megacorp actually gave you the same amount of cash as it spends on the insurance), except that when you buy it yourself as a retiree, it's not tax deductible except to the extent that you exceed 10% of AGI on medical expenses, and the cash payment is probably taxable.

It's another example of the inequity in the tax code between employer-provided coverage and policies purchased directly by the individual.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I have heard this suggested before. I suspect it will come down to a decision by each mega-corp, and such decision are usually driven by what will cost them less.
Well, if it costs them (say) $500 per month, they'll probably just give you $500 per month, or add $500 into a monthly pension payment -- and not adjust it for inflation, let alone keep up with rising health insurance costs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

Like many apparently, DH retired from a Megacorp that offers a self-insured retiree plan through Aetna. Megacorp partially subsidizes the coverage (they do not absorb all increases in premiums). One of the things in the back of my mind is that they could drop the plan and put us into exchanges. I don't think that we will qualify for subsidies (at least not without some real planning). I would hope that if they did this they would give some sort of amount of money to help pay for that but it is possible they wouldn't.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If only I had worked for a megacorp.... We are on our own!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
If only I had worked for a megacorp.... We are on our own!
i worked for a megacorp-no retiree health care
Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i worked for a megacorp-no retiree health care
I worked for two Fortune 50's and no retiree HI.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #11

My megacorp offers it at cost. The premium will be very close to the ACA plans -- judging from some of the initial calculators out there.

The nice thing is today you don't have to worry about pre-existing conditions. Also, the group is a relatively healthy bunch. Additionally, the network is widely accepted by physicians, so it leans towards being better than ACA exchanges.

That said, I don't know what Megacorp will do. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't just bail.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 AM   #12

Retiree health benefits have typically been a way of attracting and retaining good people, but it seems like companies have less and less concern about such things. I chalk this up to yet-another casualty of off-shoring. It is amazing just how much reach this trend has.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Of the 4 companies I have worked for during my almost 40 year career, including a couple of reasonably large ones, none has ever had a retiree health program.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I suspect it will come down to a decision by each mega-corp, and such decision are usually driven by what will cost them less.
+1 I worked for 2 different mega corps over 40+ years and lower cost drove them in most cases.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

The October Surprise. My former Megacorp announces the retiree health insurance coverage and premiums in October of each year for the next year. So, I am waiting for the October Surprise.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #16

I suspect the article author is correct when she states that "retiree medical" will vanish completely in less than a generation. ACA certainly changes the landscape, especially for those who ER.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I suspect the article author is correct when she states that "retiree medical" will vanish completely in less than a generation. ACA certainly changes the landscape, especially for those who ER.
I think so. For better *and* for worse, PPACA will do to employer health insurance (especially for retirees) what the 401K did to DB pensions.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think so. For better *and* for worse, PPACA will do to employer health insurance (especially for retirees) what the 401K did to DB pensions.
I agree.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin
Since there no penalty for companies not providing retiree health insurance I bet it happens faster than that
TJ
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #20

There's never been a penalty for companies not providing retiree health insurance. The biggest change that ACA represents, in that regard, is that it provides a softer landing pad for companies that decide to end retiree health insurance - softer than those retirees would have encountered if ACA wasn't there.