Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
It just occurred to me that, by choosing a restricted application with spousal, I have delayed starting the full Medicare increase. So, hold harmless has been based on COLA increases on my small spousal benefit instead of the larger benefit. Had I taken my own benefit at full retirement I probably would have already been paying the full part B increase. As it is, I am still paying $10 less than full premium. I wonder if they will claw back the difference when I switch to my age 70 benefit or just leave the past as is and start over with part B premium amounts.

I have been on spousal for 3.5 years and am currently paying $9 less than the current premium. I switch to my own record this November which is more than triple my current spousal and assume that I will immediately pay the additional $9 per month plus whatever increase is in store for us in January.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Yes that is my point in that how valuable is the hold harmless aspect when deciding whether to take SS early, if it eventually gets caught up.
"Caught up" only means that you eventually will pay the full standard Medicare premium.

But there is no clawback. If you were held harmless and paid less than the standard premium for a year ot two, you *never* have to pay back that shortfall.

rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
"Caught up" only means that you eventually will pay the full standard Medicare premium.

But there is no clawback. If you were held harmless and paid less than the standard premium for a year ot two, you *never* have to pay back that shortfall.
Yes I am aware of that concept.
My point was more so that the value of being held harmless is perhaps not a major factor in a decision whether to delay or not.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #24

Google provides answers. It's not hard.

"he Medicare hold harmless provision stems from a statutory restriction preventing Medicare from raising most Social Security recipientsí Medicare Part B premiums by more than the cost of living adjustment (COLA) provided by Social Security in a given year. "

If you are having the Medicare premium deducted from your Social Security check, then your net SS check will not be reduced. Your Medicare premium will not increase more than the COLA increase.

The actual kicker is that the entire medicare increase for the entire population of Medicare recipients is distributed over all the people who pay the increase. If the increase was $10, but half the people were held harmless to $0 increase, then the people who weren't held harmless have to pay $20.

Unless Congress quickly passes an ad-hoc law that caps that increase. Which they did a couple of years ago. COLA was 0%, Medicare went up a lot, but 90% of the people were protected by hold harmless, so the people that weren't would have gotten a huge increase of their Medicare premium. 10% of the people would have had to pay 100% of the increase.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
Google provides answers. It's not hard.

"he Medicare hold harmless provision stems from a statutory restriction preventing Medicare from raising most Social Security recipientsí Medicare Part B premiums by more than the cost of living adjustment (COLA) provided by Social Security in a given year. "

If you are having the Medicare premium deducted from your Social Security check, then your net SS check will not be reduced. Your Medicare premium will not increase more than the COLA increase.

The actual kicker is that the entire medicare increase for the entire population of Medicare recipients is distributed over all the people who pay the increase. If the increase was $10, but half the people were held harmless to $0 increase, then the people who weren't held harmless have to pay $20.

Unless Congress quickly passes an ad-hoc law that caps that increase. Which they did a couple of years ago. COLA was 0%, Medicare went up a lot, but 90% of the people were protected by hold harmless, so the people that weren't would have gotten a huge increase of their Medicare premium. 10% of the people would have had to pay 100% of the increase.
Let me state again. I UNDERSTAND the whole process and concept.
I was just stating that there are many factors which go into when to take SS.
The hold harmless factor is another factor mentioned.
However, I don't think this point is a major factor in the decision process.
That's it........
Old 07-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I probably will never be held harmless (knock on wood), so it’s not a factor for me.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #27

I expect IRMAA to kick in for us based our 2019 return when the tax torpedo hits us in earnest. We were hit back in the early years of this decade but then fell below again for a number of years. I do wish that our dear leaders would tie the IRMAA thresholds to some form of CPI- which almost all other thresholds are subject to. I'm not holding my breath though.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The difference in dollar amounts for the Medicare increases are still small enough that compared to the big picture of when to file for SS, it is basically a non consideration. $10/mo is peanuts in the big picture.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
The difference in dollar amounts for the Medicare increases are still small enough that compared to the big picture of when to file for SS, it is basically a non consideration. $10/mo is peanuts in the big picture.
Thank you. Exactly my point in concept.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #30

Still rising, although not as steeply. The next three months are key.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 3.42.26 PM.png