Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You have some hard stuff going on in your life. Personally, I find it hard to understand how anyone involved in your daily life could have animosity or play air violin after looking at what you live with everyday. You are to be admired for what you have accomplished under very difficult conditions. Of course you are worried about supporting yourself. Your health costs will become much more manageable under SSDI. I hate to think of you stressing about doctor bills and market corrections, when the government has provided a program, that you have paid premiums for, that will help you manage some of these worries. Please don't just shut the door on the SSDI program.
I will definitely leave the door open. I had hoped I would't need to go that route. At my age and issues it's embarrassing. Family says how bad can a headache, stomach ache or a few herniated discs be. Take some pain killers and carry on. It's okay. They have their own issues to deal with. Life in general, not medical. It's hurtful at times, but people are people.
compworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by compworld View Post
I will definitely leave the door open. I had hoped I would't need to go that route. At my age and issues it's embarrassing. Family says how bad can a headache, stomach ache or a few herniated discs be. Take some pain killers and carry on. It's okay. They have their own issues to deal with. Life in general, not medical. It's hurtful at times, but people are people.
Sir, you have an amazing attitude and I salute you. Only you can decide if it's worth the toll on you to try to continue to earn income. At the time you might decide it's not worth the physical and mental stress for you to continue working, I hope you will walk thru that door and make your life as good as possible.

Good Luck to you!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by compworld View Post
....Also, I didn't mention, I could sell the house, if need be. It's worth anywhere from 800k - 1.23m according to Zilliow and Trulia. However, I rather not do so. .....
There may well come a time that you will prefer to downshift to a smaller house and that would add to your nestegg.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

About disability...
This is a tough nut to crack, and doctors are faced with moral and legal limits when making the decision to back a disability claim. The ultimate decision is not made by your own doctor, but by his recommendation, and verification by a goevernment employee. The legal course to permanent disability approval can be long, tortuous and expensive... note the number of lawyers who specialize in this.
My daughter-in-law was, until a few months ago, a lawyer working in Chicago, and responsible for governemnt disability expenditures for the midwest region. She probably saw more heartbreak and fraud than we would see in a thousand lifetimes. The road to approval can be very long, but, as mentioned above in this thread... once approved, would normally be retroactive.

That said, the hardest battle to fight is depression, and when there are two persons involved, the time needed for adjustment and acceptance is a difficult period. Living in senior communities for 25 years we have seen uncountable situations where there variances in the health of partners has been a life altering fact, but only in a very few cases... maybe five out of hundreds has the problem been insurmountable. The best outcomes are in situations where both partners make the extra effort to avoid cabin fever, by forcing socialization with others. Not only does this tend to take the stress off the healthier partner, but can build new relationships with others in the social group, for the less healthy partner.
It's hard to explain this, but we see it all the time. The stay at homes are always the ones who don't seem to adjust. It's a special effort, and finding the right group can make a world of difference.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote