Join Early Retirement Today

Post-election bitter medicine?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Post-election bitter medicine?

Ever one to fan the flames of paranoia, I thought I'd toss this out for debate:

The events of the past several weeks have been "interesting" in the Chinese curse sense and compounded with this being a major election year ... only 2/3 of the Senators exempt. In other words, about 500 major politicians have their asses in a sling and are in a tizzy about how to spin the various ecnomic ills. Of course, almost anything they do will be wrong, but, for argument, the question might be...

Regardless of who gets (re-) elected in just a month or so, what might the government to screw things up worse than they already are, wait I mean:
remedy the increasingly worrisome situation? Or more pessimistically, what harsh measures might we see? Here's some ideas:

huge increase in short term interest rates (remember Volker?) Unlikely, sure, but what if the Fed is forced by outside events?

Housing prices continue to drop, already they are down like 30% from the peak, let's say they drop so they're 50% off the peak. We are talking major mortgage defaults, foreclosures, and compounding of the ills currently giving everybody the willies.

Oh, let's see, the stock and bond markets will drop another 40% or so....

Unhappy times!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There will be no election this year

Oh, and the Chinese are going to dump all of their dollars on the market and OPEC will switch exclusively to Euros.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bush will declare Martial Law? When I saw him during his speech last weekend he didn't look like he wanted to be president anymore.

Or will there be a coup? Paulson will lead hordes of angry accountants armed with calculators and tax law volumes?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
When I saw him during his speech last weekend he didn't look like he wanted to be president anymore.
Seems we ran out of decisions to make.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Bush will declare Martial Law? When I saw him during his speech last weekend he didn't look like he wanted to be president anymore.
Would you? the only person left who likes him is Laura......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
the only person left who likes him is Laura......
Are you sure? I haven't seen anything recently that would lead me to believe she's not given up on him too...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We dont even hear much about Barney and Miss Beazley anymore.

But they do have their own web sites!

Barneys Home Page
Miss Beazleys Biography

Poor Miss Beazley has to have a sub-page under barneys. And its nowhere near as attractively done.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

this is payback from Bush, since everyone hates him he has decided to make it seem like he was never president

he's starting by dialing the stock market back to where it was January 2001

all you Bush haters are finally getting your wish