Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't contacted TD in years. I still have them for my kids (now adults) bonds there.

But about ten years I ago logged on and it asked my security question which was something like "what country do you most want to visit.?" I didn't remember which one I had put (since I wanted to visit many of them).

So I called them, did not really give much info and she TOLD me my password!!

Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
POA's do not need to be registered anywhere, and there is no way to determine that one has been revoked without contacting the empowering individual or attorney.

Depending on state law, banks are often liable for unauthorized withdrawals, which can happen with POA's. This leads them to insist customers use the bank's POA forms, which allows the bank to make certain the POA is bith legit and in force.

When a POA is prepared it's a good idea to confirm it's validity with financial institutions. This prevents issues down the road, when they can be more difficult to resolve.
In my state they can be registered/certified with the county.

Which, here at least, probably makes them more palatable at whichever local bank, etc. I'm trying to use it.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

POA is not registered with anybody...

Not sure if a lawyer would allow my mom to sign a new one as she is in memory care... if you talk to her without knowing anything she is just fine, but cannot remember most of her vital info... I will go to the bank and ask if I can bring her in and get one signed in front of them....

Also, I am on her checking account so it is not out of the blue that I am doing something... and I told them I was depositing the funds in her account...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

There are different types of POA - some for financial, some for medical, many expire upon the death of the individual - you are right - getting the correct one signed prior to a person’s mental Capacity going south is critical to be able to act on their behalf. Also, if a relative had the correct POA signed but moved (say from FL back to TX like my mom), a state specific POA should be signed. With your name on the bank account,you will be able to access the funds when your Mom passes because you are basically seen as a co-owner if the funds so we When she is gone, you “own” them. So, even if the POA expires upon her death, you will be able to pay the expenses of the estate by having access to the funds. Unfortunately, many lower level or untrained bank employees do not know the differences between types of POA so you could have the correct one signed and notarized and they still might not accept it. Also, as you stated, no filing a signed POA in TX. Good luck - taking care of an aging parent is not easy on so many levels.
MarshaSGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this a "durable" power of attorney? I don't know the specific law for your state but if this is not a durable power of attorney then it may be invalid if your mother no longer has capacity.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
Is this a "durable" power of attorney? I don't know the specific law for your state but if this is not a durable power of attorney then it may be invalid if your mother no longer has capacity.

Yes it is.... good until she dies.. I then become executor...
Old 07-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Had this experience recently. DM set my sister and I up as DPAs several years ago. DM is now on hospice in an assisted living facility. Her U.S. Savings bonds had almost all matured , so from that perspective it made sense to cash them and reinvest.

She and my DF had put a fairly sizable amount in these bonds in the 80's (matured value over $100,000). Because of tax issues with accrued interest we cashed some in late 2017 and the remainder in early 2018.

Her primary banking/savings is with two credit unions who don't deal in savings bonds. A WF branch bank is across the street from her residence, so I tried there, and they agreed to cash them if we opened an account.

I was also unable to cash the bonds without going through the attorneys at WF even with the DPA and it would have involved delays and possibly other legal/paperwork issues. So I brought my disabled DM into the bank and she signed the bonds and put me on as joint to the account. DM has slight dementia, but understood the need to reinvest. It worked out for us and since she has a large tax write off for her assisted living (for two tax years), her tax liability on the interest is largely nullified.

Had a similar issue with her RR Retirement and the IRS. Neither would recognize the DPA, so DM had to sign their forms to allow my sister and I to conduct business on DM's behalf. Her other investments/ interests had no problem recognizing the DPA.

FYI, I also found out that there is an involved process you have to go though with the IRS once a person dies to handle the estate as an executor. In dealing with the IRS/DPA issue, I was told by the IRS this could not be done in advance of a person's death.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I helped my aunt set up Treasury Direct, and then just did everything with her by logging into the account.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm beginning to wonder what good it is to have a POA set up in advance of the need if they're not recorded. Since they can be invalidated by being revoked or superseded (and even the attorney who prepared the original might not know, since another attorney could handle the change), it's almost impossible to prove it's still in effect, meaning that most entities will want the grantee to come in and make a new one- with their preferred wording. As the OP has pointed out, that's frequently impractical.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm not a lawyer and wanted to throw out a question: I assume most of these are revocable POAs. How can a bank ever know if the person granting it revoked it, even if the grantee shows up with the original document? I assume that they're filed in the County Recorder's office and that a revocation would be, too? In that case they can probably search the records on-line. I can see that they'd want to know that the POA is still in effect.
When I activated my mom's POA with her bank, they had no problem with the fact that her POA was almost 20 years old. What they did want was for me to sign an affidavit that it hadn't been revoked and basically indemnifying the bank if they paid out money because I falsely told them that. Those types of forms seem to be fairly common. In general, I would probably suggest to most people to run that kind of form by their attorney for review before signing it. In any event, getting the bank to recognize the POA was not difficult as it turned out.

To the OP -- If it is someone at the bank giving you an issue I would suggest trying a higher level person at the most "sophisticated" branch of the bank you can find. I did find out after my mom's death that her branch when I activated the POA made an error which had to be corrected after my mom's death. I ultimately got it corrected by going to a more, well, upscale branch that sees more POAs and was able to solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
FYI, I also found out that there is an involved process you have to go though with the IRS once a person dies to handle the estate as an executor. In dealing with the IRS/DPA issue, I was told by the IRS this could not be done in advance of a person's death.
I am in the process of getting appointing as Executor for my mom. Once I am appointed I will need to get an EIN for the estate which is actually able to be done online. Of course, none of that involves talking with the IRS just what I have to do to be able to do stuff for the estate. My mom is owed a couple of refund checks which will go to the estate. For that, I need the EIN.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #31

I can see the concern as valid. With all the tales of elder abuse a 20 yr old POA w/o knowing both the principals looks sketchy.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I gave up on banks decades ago, switched to strictly brokerage accounts. I've never had them treat me as badly as banks.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Well, I guess I should update this since I did go in and talked to a branch manager when I had time...

It seems that there is NO power of attorney that I can have to cash in a savings bond..... they say it is the rules of the gvmt and not them... I was willing to bring in my mom to sign whatever they wanted so I could do it going forward and was told this.... he did consult with someone so I believe him on this...

Now, the strange info on this.... my mom has an expired drivers license and an expired passport... so neither of those were good to prove who she is... BUT, a medicare card and SS card is good!!! REALLY Two cards that do not have a picture of her or a copy of her signature will work but a driver license or passport that have both is not....

I had both so I cashed what I needed... the branch is just around the corner from my mom's assisted living so I will just put this as a stop when we take her out to lunch whenever I need to cash some more... the only bad is that the safe deposit box is at a different location and the new branches do not have any.... but once every two months is not that bad...
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Take your mother to her bank, while there ask them to put your name on the account. Your mother will need to agree.

Problem fixed.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
Take your mother to her bank, while there ask them to put your name on the account. Your mother will need to agree.

Problem fixed.
I think he’s trying to cash in savings bonds that are in her name (kept at the bank’s safe deposit vault) —maybe not so easy to get his name added to them.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post

Problem fixed.

Already on the account... been on it for years.... Bestwifeever explained my problem... it is with savings bonds and cashing them in...
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, I guess I should update this since I did go in and talked to a branch manager when I had time...

It seems that there is NO power of attorney that I can have to cash in a savings bond..... they say it is the rules of the gvmt and not them... I was willing to bring in my mom to sign whatever they wanted so I could do it going forward and was told this.... he did consult with someone so I believe him on this...

Now, the strange info on this.... my mom has an expired drivers license and an expired passport... so neither of those were good to prove who she is... BUT, a medicare card and SS card is good!!! REALLY Two cards that do not have a picture of her or a copy of her signature will work but a driver license or passport that have both is not....

I had both so I cashed what I needed... the branch is just around the corner from my mom's assisted living so I will just put this as a stop when we take her out to lunch whenever I need to cash some more... the only bad is that the safe deposit box is at a different location and the new branches do not have any.... but once every two months is not that bad...
I was told that a drivers license can be used as ID even if expired? OK for voting anyway. It’s just the driving part that has expired. On the passport I was told (different source) that it was still valid ID up to 10 years after expiration.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
When I activated my mom's POA with her bank, they had no problem with the fact that her POA was almost 20 years old. What they did want was for me to sign an affidavit that it hadn't been revoked and basically indemnifying the bank if they paid out money because I falsely told them that. Those types of forms seem to be fairly common. In general, I would probably suggest to most people to run that kind of form by their attorney for review before signing it. In any event, getting the bank to recognize the POA was not difficult as it turned out.

To the OP -- If it is someone at the bank giving you an issue I would suggest trying a higher level person at the most "sophisticated" branch of the bank you can find. I did find out after my mom's death that her branch when I activated the POA made an error which had to be corrected after my mom's death. I ultimately got it corrected by going to a more, well, upscale branch that sees more POAs and was able to solve the problem.

I am in the process of getting appointing as Executor for my mom. Once I am appointed I will need to get an EIN for the estate which is actually able to be done online. Of course, none of that involves talking with the IRS just what I have to do to be able to do stuff for the estate. My mom is owed a couple of refund checks which will go to the estate. For that, I need the EIN.
Note that if he estate has more than $600 in income then you also need the EIN to file the 1041 estate income tax return. (There is a $600 exemption) For example you need to take the 1099 for interest and divide it into 2 parts one up to the day of death that goes on the final 1040 and one thereafter for the 1041.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that if he estate has more than $600 in income then you also need the EIN to file the 1041 estate income tax return. (There is a $600 exemption) For example you need to take the 1099 for interest and divide it into 2 parts one up to the day of death that goes on the final 1040 and one thereafter for the 1041.
Yes, I know. I guess I will have to hire someone to do the return. I usually use tax software to do my return but it won't do an estate income tax return. The estate probably wouldn't go over the $600 except I plan to sell my mom's house from the estate rather than by me.

Well -- actually I am not sure. I doubt that there will be any profit on the sale given what will be the short time between death and sale particularly after deducting the costs involved in selling. I haven't researched this yet. Is the $600 based upon the amount received by the estate (net sale price of the home) which would be over $600 or is it based on whether that amount is taxable? I mean probably the house proceeds won't be taxable since there likely won't be a capital gain on the sale of the house. (Or anything else for that matter).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Yes, I know. I guess I will have to hire someone to do the return. I usually use tax software to do my return but it won't do an estate income tax return. The estate probably wouldn't go over the $600 except I plan to sell my mom's house from the estate rather than by me.

Well -- actually I am not sure. I doubt that there will be any profit on the sale given what will be the short time between death and sale particularly after deducting the costs involved in selling. I haven't researched this yet. Is the $600 based upon the amount received by the estate (net sale price of the home) which would be over $600 or is it based on whether that amount is taxable? I mean probably the house proceeds won't be taxable since there likely won't be a capital gain on the sale of the house. (Or anything else for that matter).

For house sales it would be the capital gain that appears, not the selling, The big items would be and interest or dividends.

BTW if you buy turbotax business it does 1041s. The big decision if there is income is how much to to send to beneficiaries, because the rate structure on an estate tax return is steep.

meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote