Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I'll stop reusing dryer sheets. Maybe.
Habits are hard to break. I'd try to use fresh dental floss.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I apologize that I don't remember the particulars but you'll get the gist. Here in Iowa, names of winners must be released but when a group of Quaker Oats employees won the lottery they immediately hired a lawyer who told the lottery that he intended to sue to keep the names of the winners private (he may have actually filed some type of paperwork with the court?). I think they had 30 days or so to file suit and the lottery was barred from releasing the names until it was decided. The deadline for filing a suit came and went without a lawsuit being filed, so the lottery released the names.

Wasn't that ingenious!? They had all of their affairs in order before anyone knew who had won.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
As long as you wait to claim the ticket no one knows so you can have your affairs in order. You don't need an attorney to waste your money filing a law suit. Don't you have up to a year to claim your winnings?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
As long as you wait to claim the ticket no one knows so you can have your affairs in order. You don't need an attorney to waste your money filing a law suit. Don't you have up to a year to claim your winnings?
Double check your state's lottery website. I read somewhere that for some, it was 90-180 days.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Isn't the ticket like a bearer bond somewhat? How well would you sleep with $1.3B under your mattress?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #25

Even though we know it's silly, we'll buy a ticket or two tomorrow. The daydreams are fun, and at $2 is actually cheap entertainment.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Powerball at $1.3 Billion...dreaming gets bigger

I think that it allowed the group to actually collect the money with their privacy in tact. I'm not sure how much a person would be able to accomplish by delaying their claim other than disconnecting the phone.

The lawsuit was just a threat btw - no lawsuit was ever filed.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #27

If you live in Kansas, the State allows you to remain private.

I'd take a around the world trip, since they are about $150K ea, it's the type of thing I don't think I can afford until I win
Old 01-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Isn't the ticket like a bearer bond somewhat? How well would you sleep with $1.3B under your mattress?
It's advised that you sign the ticket and keep it in your safety deposit box or safe until you claim it. If I won on my personal ticket I'd wait until I had my "team" lined up. If the plans took a month to set up then I'd wait. If it was the work group, then all bets are off cause I know they can't keep a secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I think that it allowed the group to actually collect the money with their privacy in tact. I'm not sure how much a person would be able to accomplish by delaying their claim other than disconnecting the phone.

The lawsuit was just a threat btw - no lawsuit was ever filed.

Yeah but wonder if the lawyer was charging for this delay. If you delay your claim you can get a lawyer, cpa/fa and any other help you'll need. Then do whatever is advised, rent an apartment or house if you can't go home, get a new cell phone BEFORE you claim your winnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Double check your state's lottery website. I read somewhere that for some, it was 90-180 days.
From the Pennsylvania Lottery
"Winners have up to one year from the date of a drawing to claim a prize from one of the Pennsylvania Lottery’s terminal-based games: PICK 2, PICK 3, PICK 4, PICK 5, Cash4Life, Cash 5, Match 6 Lotto, Mega Millions, Powerball, Treasure Hunt, and Millionaire Raffle."
Old 01-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #29

As I was doing yard work today I decided that if I win I'm hiring a gardener to come 2x a month and weed/tidy the yard. I hate weeding but it has to be done.

I will buy a ticket in the next day or two... just so I can dream of giving up weeding permanently.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
As I was doing yard work today I decided that if I win I'm hiring a gardener to come 2x a month and weed/tidy the yard. I hate weeding but it has to be done.

I will buy a ticket in the next day or two... just so I can dream of giving up weeding permanently.
You shouldn't have done the yard work today. If you win the next lottery, you're going to feel stupid for having done that work yourself.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #31
Administrator

Snipped from some of your posts:

Dash man: [...]a boat [...]
Throwdownmyaceinthehole: A boat and a pony...
rodi: So 2 boats for us.
Fermion: $1.3B is getting into space ship money.
GrayHare: I'll stop reusing dryer sheets.
AllDone: a dog door.
cyber888: live in a big mega-yacht
rayinpenn: - Help someone, travel, rent and live when and where you want.
splitwdw: [...]a new truck and [...] a pony too!
Helios: A new mattress
Persn: a condo in San Francisco
Elbata: fresh dental floss.
Sunset: around the world trip, since they are about $150K ea

This is 1.3 BILLION. It seems to me that all of the things you are mentioning (other than Fermion's space ship) could be bought with 100 million or less.

I can't think of anything that expensive for myself either, because the buying power of that much money is beyond my wildest imagination.

Besides, I don't really want a spaceship. The only solution is to give it all away. Then people would tell you how great you are for doing that, when really you aren't a saint but just don't have any other choice, due to lack of ideas. That would be so unsettling. I'd feel like a complete phony or fraud.

It would probably be better for me to just leave well enough alone, and maybe just throw away that winning ticket and call it a night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #32

DW wants to hire a chef. But no chef would want to go where I would want to hide.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

On the other thread, many posters reported getting none or just one number on 3 or more tickets. So, I ask myself what the odds of getting no number are.

There are 69 numbers for the white balls, and 26 for the red ball. The odds of "evading" all of the 5 white numbers plus the red number work out to be 65%, for a single ticket. For 2 tickets it's 42%, for 3 tickets it's 28%, and for 4 tickets it's 18%.

So, even with up to 4 tickets, you have a much greater chance of getting no numbers than getting a $7 prize (a chance of about 1.2% with 4 tickets).

PS. The above odds are for "quickpick". If you choose by hand, you can make sure that no number is repeated among the 4 tickets, and your chance of getting at least one of the numbers will be a bit higher (but a single number still gives you no win, unless it's the Powerball).
Old 01-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #34

I'm back to California now, may the power all is waiting for me. I might buy an island. Oops it might be surrounded by sharks.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #35

Remaining anonymous is an important thing, and only 6 states allow it. Two of them border my state, PA. If I win, I'd likely move to one of those states, turn in the ticket, then move back to my house. It would cost a few million paying state income tax in the winnings, but at that level, I wouldn't care. If I were to go public, I would feel like I had a target on my back. As a pediatrician, I can be sued up to 21 years after an adverse event. I've seen doctors successfully sued for things that were clearly not their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, but I believe that you have to claim in the state where you bought the ticket.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It would probably be better for me to just leave well enough alone, and maybe just throw away that winning ticket and call it a night.
Wouldn't that be a hoot! They'd know a winning number was drawn, and no one steps forward to claim it. Everyone would be talking about that. Meanwhile, you sit back and smile to yourself, happy your life was not ruined.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Remaining anonymous is an important thing, and only 6 states allow it. Two of them border my state, PA. If I win, I'd likely move to one of those states, turn in the ticket, then move back to my house.

Unfortunately you have to turn in the ticket in the state it was purchased, so unless you plan to travel to the bordering states for purchase too this won't work. I looked into this because I currently live in a non-lottery state, so I'd have to travel buy the ticket anyway. Sadly, the closest anonymous claim state is still several states away.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Remaining anonymous is an important thing, and only 6 states allow it. Two of them border my state, PA. If I win, I'd likely move to one of those states, turn in the ticket, then move back to my house. It would cost a few million paying state income tax in the winnings, but at that level, I wouldn't care. If I were to go public, I would feel like I had a target on my back. As a pediatrician, I can be sued up to 21 years after an adverse event. I've seen doctors successfully sued for things that were clearly not their fault.

I did see on the entertainment/news that PA has had the most winners!

As I stood in a 5 minute line to buy my ticket I thought a few things, first, why am I standing and waiting in a line to throw my money away 😕
Second, all of the people in front of me are thinking the same thing I am, no matter how slight the chance there's always a chance and it just might be me 🤑
Third, it seems that a lot of the people coming in and buying lottery tickets sure drive nice expensive cars I saw multiples of Lexus, Infinity, BMW, and Mercedes.🚗
Fourth, I bet the clerk selling tickets all day has some sort of 'real' perspective on how hard it is to win, if I were working S/M/Tu/Wed 8 hour shifts selling PB rickets all shift and then no one wins it or at least no one in my state wins it I would think, damn I sold a sh!tton of tickets and no winner. Just think across this country how many clerks are doing the same....😳

Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My list of charities is all ready!!

Also, doing something here in my home state. Repair roads, replace street light with the lights that don't add to light pollution (so you can have a better view of the stars). Put fountains in lakes so the water doesn't just be still and have that ugly greenish foam on top.

Everyone gets a free pass onto the Jersey Shore!! I'll be at DJ's if you want to stop by and thank me.