Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
Where I can put in the application to become a government worker who process those applications, figure out and hand out the subsidy and implement the Act?
You need to apply to the IRS, since that's where the vast majority of subsidy decisions and payments will come from.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's not the way Obamacare is going to work.

I don't see any choice of participation or non participation by a doctor based on whether a plan is subsidized. Subsidies are tax credits that go directly to the taxpayer/individual paying the premiums for health insurance. There will be no difference in the type of policies an individual can buy as everyone will be buying from the same group of policies offered by their state through the state or federal exchange.

If that's the case, there is no such thing as a subsidized vs non-subsidized plan, only subsidized vs. non subsidized individuals.
all i can tell you is how it is in mass. i saw on another thread here a chart from california that seemed to be the exact opposite.

i think what will happen is this. if you go to a exchange it will do like in mass. if no subsidy click here. If subsidy needed click here.

then they will have bronze,silver,gold,platinum , the plans will be the same only the amount of providers will be different.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i think what will happen is this. if you go to a exchange it will do like in mass. if no subsidy click here. If subsidy needed click here.

then they will have bronze,silver,gold,platinum , the plans will be the same only the amount of providers will be different.
I don't think so as I can find nothing that indicates this will be the case. The ACA isn't exactly like what you have in Mass and believe this is an example of how they differ - but only time will tell for sure.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
I don't think so as I can find nothing that indicates this will be the case. The ACA isn't exactly like what you have in Mass and believe this is an example of how they differ - but only time will tell for sure.
i don't do links. go to thread not all insurance plans subsidized by ACA.

got to post #32. there is a link to a chart in California that just shows subsidized plans and why this is confusing

its all insurance plans not subsidized by ACA in the health and early retirement
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I don't see any choice of participation or non participation by a doctor based on whether a plan is subsidized. Subsidies are tax credits that go directly to the taxpayer/individual paying the premiums for health insurance. There will be no difference in the type of policies an individual can buy as everyone will be buying from the same group of policies offered by their state through the state or federal exchange.

If that's the case, there is no such thing as a subsidized vs non-subsidized plan, only subsidized vs. non subsidized individuals.
I hope you're right on this one. As someone noted above, here in Mass, the current'exchange' plans are viewed as a middle ground between Medicaid and a "full freight" provider. Not all Drs accept exchange plans.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
I need a job. Where I can put in the application to become a government worker who process those applications, figure out and hand out the subsidy and implement the Act?

Try the Department of Labor. www.DOL.GOV
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I hope you're right on this one. As someone noted above, here in Mass, the current'exchange' plans are viewed as a middle ground between Medicaid and a "full freight" provider. Not all Drs accept exchange plans.
i find that most doctors accept full pay exchange plans-i bought one. it's the subsidized they don't
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #28

Do we count tax-exempt interest from muni bonds or muni bond funds as "other icome" in the application? Under deductions from income, we include home mortgage interest and state+local taxes?

For a single person with no kids, most of the pages do not apply to me which is good.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

My understanding was that subsidized plans would only be available through the exchanges, and that you could still buy insurance outside the exchange system if you wish.

But I could very easily have this wrong!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
My understanding was that subsidized plans would only be available through the exchanges, and that you could still buy insurance outside the exchange system if you wish.
Looks like the ability to buy insurance outside the exchange will continue, but this article expresses some concern that could change:

Life Outside the PPACA's Public Health Insurance Exchanges

Quote:
Clearly PPACA intends to make the public exchanges a key offering for consumers, who need more accessible and affordable healthcare options at their disposal.... However, as Levitt and Claxton point out, options outside of the public exchange domain will remain an important part of Americaís healthcare system:

"(A)s central as exchanges will likely be, itís important to remember that there are other key provisions that help shape the reformed marketplace. Insurers will still be able to sell insurance to individuals and small businesses outside of the exchanges, and the health reform law applies new consumer protections to plans sold in that outside market, too."

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #31

Quote:

Techncally I believe you're right that it might be possible to buy plans outside the Exchange. However private insurers may decide not to offer such individual plans. Plans that are too expensive would trigger the "Cadillac Plan" tax. Plans that are too inexpensive (e.g. less coverage, more deductibles/co-pays, etc) would not be "qualified", so buyer would still be subject to IRS penalty (er- "tax" per SCOTUS) since they did not have a "qualified" HI plan.
Theoretically it is also possible insurers might decide to not even offer any plans under the Exchange, although this seems highly unlikely to me. Even if the profit margis shrink, there's too much marketshare to ignore.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #32

Quote:
i find that most doctors accept full pay exchange plans-i bought one. it's the subsidized they don't
My understanding is the insurance company designs lower cost plans that exclude some doctors and other providers, not the other way around. We were in plans like this when we lived in NY and only had access to the guaranteed issue plans mandated by the state. The way the insurer builds a lower cost plan is by limiting the number of doctors, providers and service options available, and then maximizing the number of subscribers to that plan.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #33

Quote:

Most healthcare insurance in the US is large group, and that will not be sold thought the exchanges. At least for now they are only providing policies to individuals and small groups. It is correct that subsidies will only be available for policies acquired in the state exchanges.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

How will the docs know?

So, if I have high earner income in 2012, 2013, and no income due to retirement in 2014, then how will the docs know what kind of subsidy I have as I won't even get the credit until tax time? So its just between the plans and medicare And then no income, so I'd be on medicare, can I keep saying I'll have income, stay on the plans, pay monthly, then get credit at tax time??
Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My understanding is the insurance company designs lower cost plans that exclude some doctors and other providers, not the other way around. We were in plans like this when we lived in NY and only had access to the guaranteed issue plans mandated by the state. The way the insurer builds a lower cost plan is by limiting the number of doctors, providers and service options available, and then maximizing the number of subscribers to that plan.

We can't get enough doctors for the rates were paying so well tell the buyers of the insurance that were restricting number of providers so we can offer a lower cost.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

We can't get enough doctors for the rates were paying so well tell the buyers of the insurance that were restricting number of providers so we can offer a lower cost.
LOL! Our medical insurer offers a dental plan from another company. The literature is full of glowing statements about how it reduces the out of pocket costs when we go to an in-network dentist. "Cleanings - $15.00; Simple Filling - $28.00;" and so on. Wow! Sign me up!

Now, which dentist in town is in the network? Ah, here we go. Search for providers in the network for our Super Economy Plan:

Within 5 miles; <SEARCH>

... 0 providers found

OK... Within 25 miles; <SEARCH>

... 0 providers found

Eh? Lemme try this again...

Within 100 miles; <SEARCH>

... 0 providers found

Um. It turns out that the economy and cheap plans don't actually have any in-network providers in driving distance. Flying distance, yeah. Now, if I kick up to the Deluxe Extravaganza Plan, I can pay about twice what I actually pay dentists every year, and have local dentists in-network.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch...