Practical estate question

When my dad was accepted into hospice, I approached a local funeral director as I knew his funeral service would be in California whee our family was located. My dad had bought a burial plot 40 years earlier, so that part was done. I prepaid the costs involved-the casket, the transportation to California, all of it, out of my dad's checking account as power of attorney. As soon as I had the death certificate, I took it to the county clerk and filed it, and asked for 10 copies. I took a copy to the bank that day, closed his checking account and opened an estate account. You can't write checks out of a deceased person's account, per the lawyer and the bank.

This thread is making me think DH and I should plan ahead to make DS's life easier. As we have settled across the country from family, the decision of what to do has been up in the air. I'm curious what the good folks here who have moved after retirement have considered in this regard?

My Dad has asked for no funeral, and he wants to be cremated and buried in the local veteran's cemetery where my Mom already is. He's written his own obituary already. So everything is known, and from my Mom's death I know the prices already. Knowing my Dad, prepaying won't happen.

@tulak, my Mom was on hospice for about a year before she died, and it was a really good thing in her case. I don't know if my Dad will go quickly or slowly, but we've already talked about what he wants - he wants to stay in his apartment as long as possible, doesn't want any heroic measures, and has a positive view towards hospice.

I've made a note to talk to him about either adding TOD on the remaining two accounts that don't have them yet. The IRAs have beneficiaries, there is no house, and the life insurance policies have been in an ILIT for decades.

Thanks to all for all the comments and ideas; they're helpful to consider and even if they don't work for me and my family they certainly can and do work for others.

Back
Top Bottom