Pursue it 33 70.21%
Reject it 1 2.13%
Take things as they come 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Gee, take the job. It's only a year; not like you're getting married to it.

At age 18 I found out that the people you work with can make or break a job. During Christmas season I was unloading trucks at Woodward & Lothrop (a regional department store chain) and have never since worked in a place that had a more petty, bickering, negative atmosphere. They're out of business and I have to think that's why. They asked me to stay on after the seasonal job was over but I wasn't interested in staying there.

Later I worked at Sears doing heating and A/C repair work. They didn't pay much, but the people made it a great place to work.

So this is a chance to find out what it's like working for that company. If it's not a good match you're free to walk in a year (or sooner if it's horrible). If you like it there and they offer you something you like then you're home free.

I don't see the downside.
What Walt said. The problem is you never know what the people are like until you get in. Unless you're psychic, one day during the interview isn't going to give you much read on the people unless the people are so far tilted in one direction. Take the job and see what's what, or get cracking on writing that business plan for you own business. There's nothing like a 40 page report backed by solid facts that will occupy you for a couple of weeks.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

For some people I would say to reject it and go find the perfect job for them. Based upon what you have posted it seems like you are not the type of person who will put the required effort into finding and getting the perfect job so you should go ahead and take this one. I am betting that you will take it and eventually retire from it.
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Talk to them and see what happens, what do you really have to lose.
Jessica08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 PM   #24

not to be rude, but you already know what youre going to do...so do it. its a pretty clear choice...but i understand the need for confirmation...i do it all the time too
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #25

if you have the opportunity to meet the people you would work with you should do that - i really believe in in-depth interview processes it can save a lot of grief for everyone later...and is usually a reasonable request.

i agree it's a tough market so it may be hard to get a good or great offer later...and also remember - you're not signing up for a jail sentence, if you don't like it you can walk away...you do have free will!

Plus side - you could meet great connections for future work, you may find there were aspects of your former work that you didn't like and you actually like the work itself etc... and you're buying time - it sounds like you really need to explore what you "want" to do , and your strengths to avoid the long term burn out...

once you start doing that you will be on the track to higher satisfaction in your work and personal life! but it can take a while so why gamble with your FIRE because there "might" be something better later?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #26
Administrator

I don't see why you would not pursue it. I see only upsides and not really any downsides. Sounds like very good timing.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #27

Do you actually have to commit for a year? If you don't have to sign some sort of contract, no one can make you stay if it sucks.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Hi all,

My father is very practical. My mother is a dreamer.

Put yourself in my shoes. You've been relaxing and recuperating after getting let go from your job five weeks ago. You have savings, and you live very frugally, but you're obviously going to need a pretty good income for the next six years or so in order to finance your retirement.

<snip>

2Cor521

So, what's mom and pop got to do with it? I assume you're saying you're torn between the two.

The second part of the psychoanalysis is, why were you "let go" from your old job? Did they let you go, or did you mentally let the job go? As in, they were sick of you or did you just get over going to work there, mentally.

Maybe the same work with a different view/coworkers/boss/etc. would be just what the doctor ordered. Or, maybe you're burned out.

As an aside, the best anecdote I've heard recently is... in order to be burned out, at some point, you've had to have been "on fire".

-CC
Old 07-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
So, what's mom and pop got to do with it? I assume you're saying you're torn between the two.
I didn't explain that very well. Long story short, I've been following the "practical" advice of my father all my life but there's somewhat of a siren song with my mother and "dreaming". As their kid I'm a mixture of the two of them, but in all honesty probably more like my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
The second part of the psychoanalysis is, why were you "let go" from your old job? Did they let you go, or did you mentally let the job go? As in, they were sick of you or did you just get over going to work there, mentally.
The latter. Again, long story short, I "quit" several months ago, and eventually they let me go because of it.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote