Join Early Retirement Today

Prepaid debit card
Old 06-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Prepaid debit card

An elderly, low-income friend would like to sign up for home delivery of his prescription medications, but the HMO pharmacy requires a credit/debit card for the $1.20 co-pay every three months. Does anyone know of a free or low-cost prepaid debit card I can arrange for him?

It should at least have no monthly fee. He does not have and would not qualify for a bank account or credit card. I don't mind funding it, but I would prefer the card be in his own name or anonymous so I don't end up with any surprises.

I found one from Walmart that is free to obtain, has no monthly fee and charges only $1 per transaction. They might charge a reloading fee. Anything better?
*update* That Walmart card is no longer offered. The MoneyCard has a monthly fee.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For $2.20 every 3 months hold the presses, i think you found the winner. Put 10 bucks on the card when you pick it up for him and tell him Happy 4th of July.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

The pharmacy should make an accommodation for a low income elderly patient who doesn't have a credit card. Why couldn't they accept a $4.80 prepay to cover the next year's worth of prescriptions?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
The pharmacy should make an accommodation for a low income elderly patient who doesn't have a credit card. Why couldn't they accept a $4.80 prepay to cover the next year's worth of prescriptions?

Hmm, possibly. I'm not a family member and his own family is not helpful so I'm not sure the pharmacy will even talk to me. Worth a shot, thanks.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
For $2.20 every 3 months hold the presses, i think you found the winner. Put 10 bucks on the card when you pick it up for him and tell him Happy 4th of July.

Ha, yes, although they do require an application with SSN, etc. Hope it won't mess up his Medicaid. I would be doing this without the knowledge of his family and would hate to cause trouble or be accused of anything.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Ha, yes, although they do require an application with SSN, etc. Hope it won't mess up his Medicaid. I would be doing this without the knowledge of his family and would hate to cause trouble or be accused of anything.
We had an old timer live across the street from us. He was a real salt of the earth guy. we were all renters talking bad about the landlords hahahaha, but anyway when he got sick, we took care of his checkbook. He had i think 5 stepchildren but they didnt visit after his wife died. After doing his bills for a month we stopped all sorts of things he got conned into over the years, he had monthly charges for things he didnt need, or use, we saved him about $90 a month. The 10 dollar gift on the prepaid card wont hurt his medicaid at all. The family will only cause problems when there is real assets. from what you described he is not loaded, i think your good there too.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a checking account? Some banks offer free debit cards with no minimum balance for senior citizens. But make sure there are no debit transaction fees as that would defeat the purpose.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops, the Walmart MoneyCard does have a monthly fee. I'm checking Amex Bluebird now. I might also check Fido to see if I can set up a cash account for him in my name. There must be a product with controlled spending limits for kids or dependents.

*update*
Fido cash account does not allow you to set spending limits. They suggest a prepaid or gift card.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

This might be the winner
AccountNow® Prepaid Visa® Card

The AccountNow® Prepaid Visa® Card is potentially the cheapest prepaid debit card around, although it is best for people that only make occasional purchases. You pay a one-time $4.95 activation fee and no monthly fee. However, AccountNow tacks on a $1-per-transaction fee. Those fees can add up if you’re not careful. You may want to use this card like a savings account by letting money accumulate, and only using it for larger, infrequent purchases.

AccountNow® Prepaid Visa® Card — Snapshot

$0 Monthly Fee
No Minimum Balance
Free Direct Deposit and Online Bill Payment
Now with Purchase Rewards
Perfect for Occasional Usage,

******* IF you are in ny or texas or vermont, i have better cards for you
they do not allow monthly fees********.
here is the comparison:: http://www.thesimpledollar.com/best-...d-debit-cards/
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
This might be the winner
AccountNow® Prepaid Visa® Card
Nice find! Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

I had a ClearSend from BBVA, however they just introduced a $4 monthly fee if you don't deposit $400 monthly. I canceled it and got a USAA no fee checking account with debit cards for DW and I. We use this as a gas card. It does require a $25 initial deposit and I am not aware of any other fees.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.bluebird.com/
Monthly/Annual Fee
$0

Activation Fee
$0

Card Price — Online
$0

Card Price — Retail locations
Up to $5

Add Funds
Direct Deposit
$0

Cash or Debit Card at Walmart
$0

Cash at Other Participating Retail Locations
Up to $3.95

Online with a Debit Card
$0

Mobile Check Capture by Ingo®*Money

Money in 10 Days*
$0

Money in Minutes
1% or 5% of check
($5 min fee)**
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
It should at least have no monthly fee. He does not have and would not qualify for a bank account or credit card.
I find this puzzling. Why wouldn't he qualify for a checking account if he has any regular income at all? The bank here that we use offers free checking with no monthly fee for those over 65 with a monthly deposit of at least $500. If you want one the debit card is free too. I think most banks offer the same or similar, designed for pension and/or SS deposits.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I had a ClearSend from BBVA, however they just introduced a $4 monthly fee if you don't deposit $400 monthly. I canceled it and got a USAA no fee checking account with debit cards for DW and I. We use this as a gas card. It does require a $25 initial deposit and I am not aware of any other fees.
I set up the BBVA ClearSpend card for my mother while she was in a skilled nursing facility for about 9 months. It worked very well for us. She is doing much better and has moved to Assisted Living and is better able to manage her finances now, so we arent using it as much now. I hadn't read about the new fee. We kept her balance around $250 to limit any potential damage from theft of the card. But i do like their service otherwise.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't check from here, but I think our Costco had "gift" cards at about $50 plus maybe $2.50. Would a VISA gift card work? They are easy to buy - just take to the check out.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote