Join Early Retirement Today

Present Value of Pensions/SS
Old 02-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Present Value of Pensions/SS

I just ran some calculations on this and...........WOW!

I was mainly interested in asset allocation, which is funny given the complete lack of investment money on hand, but...once I had all the numbers plugged in, well, $6100+ of income from the pension and SS kinda add up, when looking at discounted present value. As in low 7-figures. Of course these funds go away when we're both gone, so there is no inheritance to hand down, but I certainly feel better about the future.

The trick will be to actually create a nest egg from the excess funds via frugal living during the early years of retirement. Which is kinda backwards, but sometimes that's how I work...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

plus, for SS you need to use a "real" rate of return when calculating PV unless you have adjusted the benefit cash flows for inflation since SS increases for inflation each year. So if you assume that inflation is 2.5% and your discount rate is 5.5% then you can either have the benefits increase 2.5% each year and discount at 5.5% or leave the benefit fixed and discount at 3.0%. Ditto if your pension is COLAed.

If you didn;t provide for this in your calculations then your PVs will go UP!

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
plus, for SS you need to use a "real" rate of return when calculating PV unless you have adjusted the benefit cash flows for inflation since SS increases for inflation each year. So if you assume that inflation is 2.5% and your discount rate is 5.5% then you can either have the benefits increase 2.5% each year and discount at 5.5% or leave the benefit fixed and discount at 3.0%. Ditto if your pension is COLAed.

If you didn;t provide for this in your calculations then your PVs will go UP!
Well, the calculator I used was rather complicated. For SS I had COLA set to 1.5% and interest set to 2.6%. The 2.6% was based on 30-year Treasury Rate, which was what I was supposed to use for pensions.

The pensions are non-COLA.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For what purpose are you doing these calculations?
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
For what purpose are you doing these calculations?
Emotional gratification?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just consider how much you'd need to generate $6.5k a month for 30 years using the 4% rule........it's around $2M.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I just ran some calculations on this and...........WOW!

I was mainly interested in asset allocation, which is funny given the complete lack of investment money on hand, but...once I had all the numbers plugged in, well, $6100+ of income from the pension and SS kinda add up,...
Be careful about applying the NPV of SS and pensions into asset allocation as bond equivalents. We have discussed that around here before. From some perspectives that is a reasonable choice but, if you have a gap of mandatory expenses that need to be made up from your portfolio, it strikes me that it is better to address the gap in terms of your portfolio's SWR potential. Plan your AA to be sure you can safely fill the gap. Using that approach the SS/pension income and NPV is irrelevant. Still interesting, but not relevant to meeting the needs in question (the gap).
Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Be careful about applying the NPV of SS and pensions into asset allocation as bond equivalents. We have discussed that around here before. From some perspectives that is a reasonable choice but, if you have a gap of mandatory expenses that need to be made up from your portfolio, it strikes me that it is better to address the gap in terms of your portfolio's SWR potential. Plan your AA to be sure you can safely fill the gap. Using that approach the SS/pension income and NPV is irrelevant. Still interesting, but not relevant to meeting the needs in question (the gap).
We've got a pretty low expense need. For the early years of retirement we are going to use that to build up enough money to actually invest. This is more of a 'bonus' or safety net / nest egg. We'll increase our spending eventually, but we'll never spend our entire pension/SS payment amounts - at least not on a regular, monthly basis.

I definitely understand your point, but that scenario is fairly unlikely for us.