Preview 2017 ACA plans now active

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed most or maybe all of the plans available to me are not HSA compliant, even though they have high deductibles. Why would this be?

The HSA limit for 2017 is $6550 for an individual. So if the plans deductible is over that it's not HSA compatible. In that case, the high deductible is too high! I think the federal limit is not keeping up with the reality of the deductibles in these plans.

Makes no sense to me either ;)

I've noticed most or maybe all of the plans available to me are not HSA compliant, even though they have high deductibles. Why would this be?

I believe it might have to do with a co-pay component in the plan.

Insurers dropping out is an issue, they claim it is because they are losing money. This does not seem to be reflected in their total annual profits.

I looked off ACA and the prices were similar to the ACA for the same plans, but without the subsidies....

As I looked at the 2017 plans available to me and what they cost, I couldn't help but think how in the world is it not profitable to the insurers? I mean, no matter which way I go I'll be paying $15K a year in combination of premiums and deductibles before the insurer starts making any substantial contribution.

Everyone is so fixated on increases.

Note, ACA subsidies have gone up about 30% to offset the Insurance increases too.... no one seems to talk about that though.... Shhhhhh.

ACA was designed for those who could ill afford healthcare or had pre-existing conditions. If it is expensive but not more than 9% of your income it is doing it's job. That is about what the countries with single payer charge in taxes. It had got to be paid for somehow.

Uhhhh, where do you get that the subsidy is going up 30%:confused:? Mine looks to be the same....

Not looking good....

Increase of the plan I have it over 30%.... $1269 before credits...

Not sure of what credits I will get, but I bet my out of pocket for premiums will more than double...

Not much choice.... two plans that are Medicaid providers and BCBS.... everybody else is gone...

Decided to take a look.... insurance for 4.... 2015 was a good PPO plan... 2016 is a not good HMO plan, 2017 is the same plan as 2016....

2015 $818

2016 $925

2017 $1269

I do not know the credit I will get for 2016, but think it is similar to 2017... But, when I look at my net for 2015 and my net for 2017 my net cost for insurance will be up 240%.... this does not include my higher costs for Dr. and labs and other health care needs...

While I won't be participating this year, I would be paying nothing for a pretty good silver plan in my area (because of low MAGI in the first few years or retirement).

The cost savings and the risk avoidance are both a great incentive for us to pull the trigger next year.

Uhhhh, where do you get that the subsidy is going up 30%:confused:? Mine looks to be the same....

Depends where you land on the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) line. If you're closer to 135% of FPL you did see a significant increase in subsidy, lowering of out of pocket max and deductible if the plan price increased significantly.

If closer to 400% of FPL your subsidy might not change. Also, believe it depends on age, zip and cost of second lowest silver plan in your area.

Everyone is so fixated on increases.

Note, ACA subsidies have gone up about 30% to offset the Insurance increases too.... no one seems to talk about that though.... Shhhhhh.

ACA was designed for those who could ill afford healthcare or had pre-existing conditions. If it is expensive but not more than 9% of your income it is doing it's job. That is about what the countries with single payer charge in taxes. It had got to be paid for somehow.

I agree with you and thanks for sharing. The system isnt perfect but the kinks will be worked out. And in the meantime, I can go to sleep at night knowing that I have coverage for my cancer treatments.

Decided to take a look.... insurance for 4.... 2015 was a good PPO plan... 2016 is a not good HMO plan, 2017 is the same plan as 2016....

2015 $818

2016 $925

2017 $1269

I do not know the credit I will get for 2016, but think it is similar to 2017... But, when I look at my net for 2015 and my net for 2017 my net cost for insurance will be up 240%.... this does not include my higher costs for Dr. and labs and other health care needs...

I would relocate.

All this complaining is expected, but largely unwarranted IMHO. Healthcare is expensive--because it insures against a very expensive potential liability. It seems the system is working quite well for me (albeit because I am relatively healthy--not so well for others with ongoing medical problems, I'm sure.)

In any case, in California the premium increases are relatively small for my Bronze HMO plan. These are my monthly actual premiums (unsubsidized) for the past three years and for 2017 (at age 56). Not so bad, I think:

2014 $497
2015 $466
2016 $497
2017 $550

Once FIRED and eligible for the subsidy, I can make these monthly expenses ZERO!

These numbers are similar to the silver plan I have in New Jersey.

2016: $368
2017: $525 +43%
Southeast PA, Silver HMO

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

2016: $368
2017: $525 +43%
Southeast PA, Silver HMO

Hi. Do you get a subsidy or is your income too high for a subsidy?

Last edited:
No subsidy due to income beyond the cutoff. Too far though to reduce income for subsidy purposes. On a different note looking at shifting federal tax liability down, more tax free and qualified dividends less regular income, to partially offset some of the premium increase. Take from me, I take from you Mr. Govt. Man.😜

For me, the cost is roughly 15% of income over $28,000. This being the case I hope to withdraw Roth contributions and use proceeds from our home sale to mitigate.

So in NC, United Health care had dropped leaving me 2 to choose from this year.

The plan I liked is $75 more than the one I had 2016, my BFs plan would be $60 more. However, its not a real fair comparison as it appears the plans have changed in a rather good way.

One big thing I noticed is that all the new plans include out of network coverage (which United didn't except Emergency care), new plans all cover 60-80% for out of network. In addition the BCBS plan ALSO includes a $600 co-pay for Emergency care. This year I paid $3500 OOP for a Hospital visit and the year before I paid $4200 OOP for a hospital visit. In addition the co-pays are also 1/2 what I was paying, so my total out of pocket in 2017, if I had the same issues as 2016/2015 would be $2-3K savings OOP.

I did not see any HSA plans at all listed this year.

Not bad. For family of 5: $137/mo instead of $125. Deductible will be going up to $1000 instead of zero currently. Max OOP goes up from $1000 to $1600 next year. We also get lower copays, and more coverage (out of network; nationwide network but I bet it's limited).

Very happy that this choice is available. But maybe we cheap out, and go with the $56/month plan with $200 deductible (but no child dental and no out of network coverage). Odds are we'll be paying about the same or less than we are in 2016 for overall medical and dental coverage. :)

ACA isn't dead yet. In fact, the unsubsidized premiums dropped significantly for both plans vs. the plan we have currently (which was 2nd lowest cost silver plan I think). Current plan is $1034/mo for HMO w/ limited network and no nationwide coverage. New plan options are $872/mo (for the crappier plan) and $954/mo for the BCBS plan we'll probably go with. And that's quoting coverage for 5 in 2017 vs. only 4 covered currently in 2016. Surprising to say the least.

So in NC, United Health care had dropped leaving me 2 to choose from this year.

The plan I liked is $75 more than the one I had 2016, my BFs plan would be $60 more. However, its not a real fair comparison as it appears the plans have changed in a rather good way.

One big thing I noticed is that all the new plans include out of network coverage (which United didn't except Emergency care), new plans all cover 60-80% for out of network.

I'm on UHC here in NC too. I'm also discovering this nice surprise of out of network coverage w/ a nationwide network of some sort with BCBS.

Curious if Cigna is decent. I checked our family doc and DWs OB and neither are in network on Cigna; only my family doc is in network on the cheapest BCBS.

I looked at the 2017 Plat. PPO rates for late 50's age and my area of CA , about $1170 before any subsidy from the covered CA state exchange. That's about the same as my gov pension plan pays Blue Cross for sim PPO coverage.

Looks like approaching parity with both pools being high users of service for age bracket.

The increases in ACA plans should slow down when cost is on par with non ACA. Who knows what will happen when the ACA subsidy goes away.

I am on Medicare this year but DW is under 65. When I put in my age, ACA plans automatically thought I needed coverage too (I ASSUMED the website was smart enough to put me in Medicare.....) and quoted family coverage. I tried again, dropping me out, and just looking for DW. I divided our income by 50% thinking that would work. It said she was eligible for Medicaid. When I bumped her income up $3000, she was no longer eligible for subsidy. Anyone else run into this?

BTW, my theory on the price increases is that the insurance companies are still paying for folks who went without insurance for years, joined when coverage first came available and raced to have their pre-existing conditions operated on, etc.

Perhaps some of the cheaper plans are offered by companies who waited to get into the individual state until the "rat moved through the snake" if you will, and do not have the backlog of health problems needing immediate attention.

I am on Medicare this year but DW is under 65. When I put in my age, ACA plans automatically thought I needed coverage too (I ASSUMED the website was smart enough to put me in Medicare.....) and quoted family coverage. I tried again, dropping me out, and just looking for DW. I divided our income by 50% thinking that would work. It said she was eligible for Medicaid. When I bumped her income up $3000, she was no longer eligible for subsidy. Anyone else run into this?

Subsidies are based on household income, including the income of spouse who does not need insurance on the exchange: https://www.healthcare.gov/income-and-household-information/household-size/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom