Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Preview 2017 ACA plans now active
Old 10-24-2016, 05:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Preview 2017 ACA plans now active

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

You can input basic info without entering your personal info or staring an application. You can go back and change your income to see how it changes your subsidy.

I haven't gone through the process yet to see how our current plan has changed. There are new filter options (Refine Results), including HSA only, and I saw Federal Simple Choice plans. I'll have to explore that later.

Good luck!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #2
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ouch, my premium is going from $250 to $1,000 a month. A lot of people are just not going to pay this. I am not sure what is going to happen to ACA.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
Ouch, my premium is going from $250 to $1,000 a month. A lot of people are just not going to pay this. I am not sure what is going to happen to ACA.
For the same coverage/out of pocket/network? If so, sheesh.

I'm beginning to fear that the 2000 per month I have softly budgeted for healthcare from ages 57/56 through medicare may be overly optimistic.... Luckily, there are a few workarounds if the system isn't fixed.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

If my income is the same for 2016 as it was for 2015 (and I think my 2016 income will actually be lower) my premium will only increase by 30 dollars a month. This is not a dramatic increase and this is why I get confused when people say the premiums of marketplace health insurance plans is skyrocketing.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That would be because the majority of people are paying rack rate or list price, how is that confusing to you?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for sharing!

Confirms Aetna is out of ACA in my area, leaving BCBS.

For me:
2016: Aetna Leap Basic was $485.83/mo
2017: BCBS Cat will be $813.26/mo

Will have the wife get from HR what me joining her work plan will cost for 2017. Last year it was cheaper for me to go on the ACA with no subsidy.

Stay tuned. Hopefully she can get the rates early enough. Last year they were changing plans and HR did not share them until 12/28 !!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
That would be because the majority of people are paying rack rate or list price, how is that confusing to you?
Because my rack rate has not changed much either. More importantly, I am just grateful to have affordable coverage because I am a cancer survivor. Insurers cannot charge me more or deny me coverage because of a pre-existing health condition (cancer). They cannot limit benefits for that condition either. And they can't refuse to cover treatment for my pre-existing condition.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Sorry - probably a dumb basic strategy question covered elsewhere:

If DW and I retire at 58/59, we could live on already-taxed savings for three years until pensions kick in. The OP's link shows me a silver plan in my area at no monthly premium (because of the monthly supplement) for around $20K in income. While depleting from the taxed savings seriously, this offers tremendous savings and more importantly risk reduction in the years before Medicare.

What obvious hole in this plan am I missing? TIA....
Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Sorry - probably a dumb basic strategy question covered elsewhere:

If DW and I retire at 58/59, we could live on already-taxed savings for three years until pensions kick in. The OP's link shows me a silver plan in my area at no monthly premium (because of the monthly supplement) for around $20K in income. While depleting from the taxed savings seriously, this offers tremendous savings and more importantly risk reduction in the years before Medicare.

That is a valid strategy. MAGI control is a great way to save money.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The hole is at a certain income level you will be booted to Medicad with perhaps many doctor and provider restrictions. and not any choice in the matter. A better plan might be to raise your income enough to get a regular plan with smaller co-pays and more choice. They will vary be state.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico08 View Post
Because my rack rate has not changed much either. More importantly, I am just grateful to have affordable coverage because I am a cancer survivor. Insurers cannot charge me more or deny me coverage because of a pre-existing health condition (cancer). They cannot limit benefits for that condition either. And they can't refuse to cover treatment for my pre-existing condition.
Curious about your general age and location, because this is a little out of the norm, would you mind sharing the rack rate of that coverage. In my state the exchange plans have doubled in price in 2 years.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
The hole is at a certain income level you will be booted to Medicare with perhaps many doctor and provider restrictions. and not any choice in the matter. A better plan might be to raise your income enough to get a regular plan with smaller co-pays and more choice. They will vary be state.
Thanks - understood. The $20K figure was an example of "safely in the sweet spot" in my state.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post

See my post above.... What you see today will be gone after the calendar year is over. The plans change every year and usually NOT for the better (unless you're the insurance company).
Old 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
The hole is at a certain income level you will be booted to Medicare with perhaps many doctor and provider restrictions. and not any choice in the matter. A better plan might be to raise your income enough to get a regular plan with smaller co-pays and more choice. They will vary be state.
I think you mean Medicaid (or Medi-Cal in CA) here.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Curious about your general age and location, because this is a little out of the norm, would you mind sharing the rack rate of that coverage. In my state the exchange plans have doubled in price in 2 years.
I live in New Jersey, a state with a high cost of living. I am middle-aged, and God-willing, even though I had a serious cancer diagnosis, I will make it to a ripe old age and enjoy a lot of years of FIRE!

2016 rack rate silver plan 502.14
2017 rack rate silver plan 557.85 (same exact plan as the one from 2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

WOW! My Premium is Going from $340pm to $240pm.... I think DW and I maybe the exceptions here. Ages 62 and 57 resp.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Not looking good....

Increase of the plan I have it over 30%.... $1269 before credits...

Not sure of what credits I will get, but I bet my out of pocket for premiums will more than double...

Not much choice.... two plans that are Medicaid providers and BCBS.... everybody else is gone...
Old 10-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For me, looks like for what I want: (1) HSA compatible and (2) 100% coverage after deductible met, the only choice I have is to stay with my BCBS plan. At an increase before credits from around $400/month to about $700/month.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #20

GF's (60 yo) insurance on ACA looks like it will be going from $298/month on BCBS to $50/month on HealthNet of Az plan (only provider on the exchange available in our county). Cost before tax credit is $1076/month. Based on income of $17k (IRA to Roth rollover is only income) she'll get a monthly credit of $1020. Looks like her Dr's, hospitals, etc are all in the network. Deductible is lower and total out of pocket is about the same. Zero coverage for out of network though! Going to have pay attention to that when they start sending her around for tests, mri's, lab work.

Kind of shocked it went down. She had an expensive BCBS Silver plan last year because it contained all of her Dr's. This HealthNet plan is the most expensive silver plan available for 2017 in Maricopa County.

Going to have her check directly with her Dr's to double check that they are all in network. I don't always trust the "provider search" that the insurance companies provide.