Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Who is Jack Welsh?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Welsh
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Merry Christmas everyone

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.f0ab38e4e01d

"The way major U.S. companies provide for retiring workers has been shifting for about three decades, with more dropping traditional pensions every year. The first full generation of workers to retire since this turn offers a sobering preview of a labor force more and more dependent on their own savings for retirement."
Corporate greed at its finest. Stealing from workers retirement pensions to increase shareholder value is the greedy corporate American way.

Should be interesting to see if the new corporate tax cuts will trickle down to workers.

I have a mega corp. pension that I will collect very soon. Sometimes I just can't believe how lucky I am my pension is still alive.

I have always expected the worst so I will also retire with a million dollar 401k.

Corporate greed has motivated me to become the millionaire next door.
Go figure.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:37 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

That's how I got rich, by investing in greedy corporations stock. Yes, I'm the greedy corporation and I want my dividends -
Old 12-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
According to this CNN Money article, "The percentage of workers in the private sector whose only retirement account is a defined benefit pension plan is now 4%, down from 60% in the early 1980s." (And certainly the public sector had far higher coverage).

Just how common are defined benefit plans? - Ultimate Guide to Retirement

This Forbes article shows that 61% of all workers were offered a defined benefit plan in 1999:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash.../#6e12148e2152

When I started working, most companies offered defined benefit pensions. When I recently retired, virtually none did. In the private sector, the financial risk has been shifted from the employer to the employee pretty much completely.

Offering a pension and the retiree receiving the pension are different statistics.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Yeah, I just wish that as pensions were being phased out and 401ks phased in that someone had told employees that they needed to save for their retirement rather than pissing their money away on bigger, fancier houses, fancy cars, incredible vacations, etc. Why didn they warn people?
personal responsibility? I was told and acted. Coworkers were told and didn't act or just put it in General Investment which was a savings account
Old 12-24-2017, 07:03 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
That's how I got rich, by investing in greedy corporations stock. Yes, I'm the greedy corporation and I want my dividends -
No you didn't make the actual decisions to steal from workers.

You didn't help create the retirement crisis. Greedy people in a boardroom made that decision.

Its great your working career worked for you to build wealth but millions of other workers have been screwed by corporate greed.

You just got lucky. I have been lucky also.

Just because I have ended up on the right side of corporate greed doesn't mean that I am not allowed to call it out for what it is. Its just greed to steal from workers.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yeah, i just wish that as pensions were being phased out and 401ks phased in that someone had told employees that they needed to save for their retirement rather than pissing their money away on bigger, fancier houses, fancy cars, incredible vacations, etc. Why didn they warn people?
😂
Old 12-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Just because I have ended up on the right side of corporate greed doesn't mean that I am not allowed to call it out for what it is. Its just greed to steal from workers.
Then again all commerce is greed in some form. It's just a matter of how much we decide to let people get away with. We're really getting in the holiday spirit now!

PS. As a longtime employee (and pension recipient) of the Megacorp that swallowed McD-D this article hits pretty close to home. My pension - a meager non-COLA'd 20-something percent of my final salary though it is - provides a handy income stream to pay for the basic essentials of life. That said, I fully expect inflation or perhaps the aforementioned corporate greed to render it of little value eventually and planned and saved accordingly prior to ER.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:02 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Also, many pensions were never inflation-indexed, so the recipients probably would have done better with 401Ks, had those existed. That was true of my Dad, who paid into a union pension for ~35 years, only to retire into the double-digit inflation of the early 1970s. His "generous" pension quickly shrank to a fraction of his SS benefit, and he ended up going back to work as a night manager at a condo. For me, as a teen, it was an early lesson in Beware.

Cola’s definitely make a difference even in low inflation times. My pension is up 9k a year from Cola’s in past 7 years of retirement.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
No you didn't make the actual decisions to steal from workers.

You didn't help create the retirement crisis. Greedy people in a boardroom made that decision.

Its great your working career worked for you to build wealth but millions of other workers have been screwed by corporate greed. ....
WADR, that is clear, unadulterated BS. Nobody stole anything from anyone.

The short story is that many companies just decided that they no longer wanted to accept the investment risk associated with sponsoring a defined benefit plan so they stopped doing it. There is nothing written in stone anywhere that an employer has to offer a DB plan and where companies did make changes they gave fair notice.

The problem was that many short-sighted employees decided not to save and are now paying the price. Those of us who listened and took their advice to save are doing fine, proving that the change was fair as long as you adjusted your habits.

They had the same opportunities that we had and they squandered them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #51

Quote:
WADR, that is clear, unadulterated BS. Nobody stole anything from anyone.

The short story is that many companies just decided that they no longer wanted to accept the investment risk associated with sponsoring a defined benefit plan so they stopped doing it. There is nothing written in stone anywhere that an employer has to offer a DB plan and where companies did make changes they gave fair notice.

The problem was that many short-sighted employees decided not to save and are now paying the price. Those of us who listened and took their advice to save are doing fine, proving that the change was fair as long as you adjusted your habits.

They had the same opportunities that we had and they squandered them.
There are millions of workers who have been screwed by corporate greed. Its a fact.

Money stolen from workers is not BS. That is corporate greed. Its theft.

Its funny if you mention corporate greed many people get very defensive for some reason.

As an investor I get the fiduciary responsibility to shareholders thing but you have to admit in this day and age of ridiculous wealth and wage inequality something is not working.

The shrinking middle-class has not received a real wage increase in 40 years.
How can you keep a straight face.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Ski/sky, I think the truth lies in between. There has been deliberate theft of pensions by some bad actors, but not all pensions that went away were theft.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Ski/sky, I think the truth lies in between. There has been deliberate theft of pensions by some bad actors, but not all pensions that went away were theft.
Yes I totally agree. There are many good corporate citizens.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post

This Forbes article shows that 61% of all workers were offered a defined benefit plan in 1999:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash.../#6e12148e2152
The article referred to employer sponsored plans. Not defined benefit.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Most pensions went away because of cost and competitive pressures. People were informed and could seek other jobs. Others embraced defined contribution, saved, and took responsibility for their future.

Not to say it was always "fair" to all. But you have to strike a balance compared to staying in business too in severe cases.

I'm not sure I see greed as a big factor but, if so, I guess we have been investing in a lot of those greedy corporations which lack pensions but have been good investments.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Most pensions went away because of cost and competitive pressures. People were informed and could seek other jobs. Others embraced defined contribution, saved, and took responsibility for their future.

Not to say it was always "fair" to all. But you have to strike a balance compared to staying in business too in severe cases.

I'm not sure I see greed as a big factor but, if so, I guess we have been investing in a lot of those greedy corporations which lack pensions but have been good investments.
That's the other side of the coin.

I hate to see upper management treating themselves well with high salaries, pensions, and golden parachutes. Whether the company is doing well or not, they always take care of themselves, and do not share in the pain with the rank and file.

But if we took away all the cushy management benefits, would it be enough to help the pension shortfall? Is it not that a big part of the problem being demographic changes, that retirees live longer? If so, it's the same problem as the one SS is facing right now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Pension funds are running short everywhere. I did not know some unions like the Teamsters have their own pension funds. Here's what's happening to them as described in a Web article.
The Western Pennsylvania Teamsters fund — which has about 48 cents for every $1 in benefits it owes to retirees and workers — notified participants in April that it is considering cutting benefits in order to insure that the fund doesn’t become insolvent. The plan is expected to pay out nearly $129 million in benefits this year but will collect only about $54 million in contributions.

If the current level of benefits is maintained, the fund is projected to run out of money in 2028.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #58

Actually pensions also went away because the whole career at one company model on which they are based became obsolete for both corporate and individual reasons. A pension really only paid well if you had a fairly large number of years in the last job you held when you combine the typical final average pay formula (average pay 3 out of the last 5 years or something like it) times a percentage times the number of years in service. typical formulas might be from 1.4 to 1.6 for the percentage.
So for a job mobile workforce the pension model no longer worked.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #59

I (still) work in one of the last industries where most of the major players still offer some form of pension to their workers - Big Oil. I have been bounced around through my career by asset sales and plant closures and have worked for 4 different oil "majors" and have vested in 4 different pension plans. I have worked on 3 continents and the pension has been the one stable piece of what I was paid. None of my pensions are very large and I have since lump sum'ed out of 2 of them. I still have one that doesn't offer a lump sum option and the current active pension at my present employer. I appreciate all of the pensions as benefits offered by employers, but to be honest, they were never a big driver in who I chose to work for. Most workers don't evaluate pensions much in the choice of who to work for and companies can get more bang for their buck in attracting and retaining workers spending money on other things. You can blame corporate greed, but the truth is that an awful lot of the blame for the retirement crisis rests with choices made by individuals. Another truth is that if you take responsibility for managing your own affairs, you can do better with money in your own hands rather than held for you by supposedly benevolent trustees. That is true whether you are talking about pensions or Social Security verses retirement savings accounts. Freedom and responsibility go together and when you argue against responsibility you are also arguing against freedom.

The 401K and the transition from pension to 401K should have been a boon to workers, and for some it has been. For it to be a blessing requires the earned value be continued by employers, but it also requires the individual taking responsibility for their own outcome. I can't tell you how many of my working peers talk about 401K loans to pay for something like a new bass boat and anguish over putting in the bare minimum to capture the match .

The flip side of the retirement crisis and the transition from pension to 401K as the model for retirement funding is the number of $1,000,000+ estates that will be inherited in the coming years. The 401K arguably doesn't work for a lot of people, but when it does, it is a benefit. But the difference in how people have managed it is responsible for some of the growing wealth disparity (inequity??)
Old 12-24-2017, 11:37 PM   #60

I started working for a municipal utility electric company that has a pension in 1983 at age 27. During my first year there, a senior co-worker encouraged me to take advantage of the 401K and the 457 plans that were also available. There was some fund matching but I don't really recall what it was.
Anyway, when I started there, I left a job that paid $11 an hour for this one at $7 an hour. And that seems to be something a lot of folks forget about pensions; that it is PART of the compensation, not in addition to pay, but in combination with pay. If I had earned $11 an hour, the extra 30+% pay would have made it easy to save for my retirement, but at $7 an hour, not so much.
At some point in the 90's I think, then pension was 'super funded'. The stock market was doing so well and the funding for the pensions so flush, that the pension management informed the company that they didn't need to continue paying into our pensions. I asked management when I would start seeing that 30+% of my pay on my paycheck that had been going to the pension fund. Of course they just laughed and said it wasn't MY money if the pension management didn't require payments. I disagreed, but kept my mouth shut. Now fast forward to around 2008 when the market started really dropping. Not only was the super funding no longer, but funding as it was wasn't adequate to cover the promised pensions. Whoa! Wait a minute! What did the company do all those years with the funds they were not being required to pay into our pensions? They sure weren't giving it back to me and as a municipal utility, it is, by definition a non-profit governmental agency. What they did was lower the utility rates for the rate payers. They sure were happy. But when required funding returned with a vengeance, these rate payers reaping the benefits of a hot market earlier bitched like hell that keeping the pensions as promised was going to require a rate increase.
In hind site, the utility should have continued to bank and invest the funds all along, even during those super funded years. After all, what goes up must come down.
But like I mentioned, I was advised early in my career to invest in the 401K and 457, which I did with every pay raise until I maxxed out the amount I was allowed to pay in.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that pensions were offset by a smaller salary or hourly wage when they were offered where I worked. So anyone thinking it's a gravy train on top of a fat wage is probably mistaken. Figure too, that pensions are based on the employee's hourly wage, reduced to compensate for a match to the pension from the utility, and there's no real way to see a pension as a sole source for funding retirement. It's just one leg of a 3 legged stool. The other legs being the personal savings of a 401K/457 and social security.
Lastly, I'd like to also point out that many pensions were offered to labor intensive work. For me, an electric company, it is rare that anyone over 50 is still climbing poles, let alone in bad weather or other severe conditions. Many wear out their bodies after a couple decades of that type work and either disable out or are terminated because they no longer can perform their daily duties.
Closed Thread