Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a link to a paper that discusses some of the issues with gold and why it's fair price is closer to $800/oz

The Golden Dilemma by Claude Erb, Campbell Harvey :: SSRN

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Here's a link to a paper that discusses some of the issues with gold and why it's fair price is closer to $800/oz

The Golden Dilemma by Claude Erb, Campbell Harvey :: SSRN
Excellent paper. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #63

Zero Hedge has a reputation here on ER, as the "Chicken Little" of investment.
Whether for entertainment or curiosity, today's piece on "Gold".
Are We On The Verge Of Witnessing The Death Of The Paper Gold Scam? | Zero Hedge

Quote:
The legal claims on physical gold far exceed the amount of physical gold that the banks actually have by a very, very wide margin. And right now the bankers are scared out of their wits because their warehouses are being drained of physical gold at a frightening rate. So what happens when their physical gold is gone but they still have lots and lots of people with legal claims to gold? When that moment arrives, it will represent the end of the paper gold scam.
... more in the article.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thanks for posting this , Michael. I read it, and it is definitely interesting and to the point of what drives gold prices.

GMO is a high quality source for sure. Jeremy says buy natural gas, copper or copper producers, and phosphate producers. Which last basically means buy Morocco, so it is not easily done.

I hope if anyone on the board is in the copper industry, or knowledgeable about copper, he or she will post about copper producers.

Ha
Purportedly, China has been stockpiling copper as its growth tamps down (I won't say weaken). Same with steel. That said, I like the materials, energy, and ag rather than gold, although I own a very small amount of the miners (about 1.5%) and have watched all the gains of the last two years melt down in about 4 months. Gold is a fear trade, to a lesser degree inflation, but I'd prefer the materials (and real estate) to gold for inflation. If one is afraid of apocalypse, buy rice, beans, ammunition, drugs, solar panels, and a lot of whiskey. And figure out how to farm and where.