Join Early Retirement Today

Primary Residence: Rent vs Own
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my favorite shows, "Adam Ruins Everything" has been "on target" for many topics that most people view the wrong way. The factual information on this show always surprises me.

Recently, his topic was Rent vs Own for private residence. Financially, everything he said favors renting.
Cost buying a house
Cost upkeep
Cost property taxes
Cost selling
Cost remodeling
Appreciation historically is flat, unless you luck out.
Yard and garden can be a joyous hobby if you like that sort of thing in retirement.

His argument is renting has none of these expenses and you can move when you're unhappy with the situation.

People richer than me, over the years, have mentioned they rent and would never
buy. Any thoughts on the subject?
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

I have never done a strict financial analysis (he may be right), but I prefer owning my place because I get to take most of the decisions, such as landscaping (DW has invested countless hours and many dollars into our garden, for example, and that's the kind of thing you can't just pack up and move). I get to decide if/when I want to move, instead of the landlord deciding not to renew the lease at the most inopportune (for me) time. I get to decide and implement remodeling, improvements, etc.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Administrator

I grew up in a rental house, lived in rental houses while working through university and eventually bought a house shortly before we had our first child. Several houses later we moved to the USA where we lived in 2 rental houses in 2 States before settling and buying a house in Louisiana. 6 years before retiring, and while the youngest was still in college we sold up and moved into rental apartments and rental houses for the next 13 years. We bought a house 6 months ago and don't plan on ever moving, but who knows.

The advantages for us with rental was the ease of mobility, and with rental apartments the ease and low cost of maintenance while we traveled extensively. I can see both sides of the rent v own argument and it is both a personal choice and a factor of where you are in your life.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #4

Renting will almost always be better financially than renting.

You rent what you need now, not what you need later. You can move to where you need to live, and avoid commute costs. No up keep, but more importantly no upkeep equipment and tools.

You have the flexibility to rent for six months in one place and six in another. You do not need to own one for 12 months, and rent six months in another place, a total cost of 18+ months. This is a common snowbird strategy.

The one thing you lose is control.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure if you search you can find plenty of threads on this.

Home appreciation isn't flat in most areas. It may not beat the stock market (but it can in hot areas), but it's generally pretty good. Meanwhile, rents WILL go up, count on it. And all those costs for owning are included in your rent. The only valid point here is that they are tougher to predict when owning, and you have to be sure to include the estimates in your rent vs. own comparison.

Especially if you rent a house, you could get booted if the owner sells, or for any other reason wants you out.

Mostly the financial decision is area dependent, and how long you plan to stay. The lifestyle decision is any number of factors, which euro touched on.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

Think if you don't need a large place, nor want to have the highest end finishings, renting makes a lot of sense. If you are someone who is going to live in one place for 20 years, wants to customize your home and what-not, buying makes more sense. Personally, I like the middle ground, a condo where i own the inside and rent the outside.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

The main advantage of owning the place you live in is locking in the capital costs (land plus long-term building) of living there at the price you purchase the place for.

It takes a long time for this to become an advantage, 5-7 years are an absolute minimum to cover transaction costs. Without reasonable certainty of staying in one place, renting is probably better.

We've been in our current suburban house over 15 years, and our mortgage + taxes are about the cost of a two bedroom apartment in an older building in the area. We were able to defer major repair/renovation costs until the last few years when we could afford them better.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I grew up in two houses that my parents owned. After moving out in my early 20s, I lived in 6 different rentals in three countries over the next 9 years. Obviously my nomadic life was not conducive to buying property. Eventually I found a long term job and bought a house, which I kept for 20 years. I own my current home also.

After my parents died, I inherited their house in Ireland. They had lived there for over 40 years. I sold it at the peak of the property boom for a price that represented an 8% annual return on their original investment. That was an anomaly. Two years later the property market crashed and I would have been lucky to get half that price.

When I sold my first house after 20 years, I got about 3 times what I paid for it. I calculated it was about a 3% annual return. That's more in line with market expectations.

The bottom line is that a house is for living in. It should not be considered an investment. If you happen to make a decent profit on it, that's icing on the cake.

For most of us, there is a time in your life when you are mobile and rentals are the only way to go. When you are settled, owning is an option, but not a necessity. It's a lifestyle choice IMHO.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

All true, but looking back, we lost $75K selling our previous house in 2012 because we had to move due to loss of job. Current house, we remodeled approx. $70K to get it to our liking and love it now. We were able to FIRE while maintaining a small consulting business that gives us freedom to do what we want, when we want. I have to note, we made $110,000 on a house we sold in 2001, still not a break even situation.

We like our neighbors, on all sides of us and are socially connected to them. DH has yard work passion and keeps our garden and yard so lovely. We have 2 yellow labs, would never be able to have them in a rental. I guess the financial loss is worth the feeling of stability and feeling connected in the community. Renters aren't always looked upon as productive community members (don't mean to offend anyone). I know some friends would never buy near a rental complex for some reason. "Adam Ruins Everything" was really looking at pure financial aspects. There are so many other benefits to owning.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

I think houses as investments are much riskier than most think.
Buying in downtown Detroit or Buffalo in 1955 probably looked like a great idea at the time.
I have owned 3 houses in the same area. Made a decent return on the first two but doubt I'll make anything on the current place.
All that said I will continue owning so I can have my nice fenced lawn for the pup and no one complaining about my kitty. It's a life style choice, not an investment.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

The rent vs own question is always highly dependent on location. Growing up and living in the SF Bay Area all my life, the answer has always been own. My daughter bought her first condo in 2014 and sold it in 2016. After all expenses (buying, selling, mortgage, taxes, HOA), she netted $75K. If she were to rent the unit for those 2 years, her rent would have been about $58k. The net gain is $133k in favor of buying. I know, this is just one example, but there are many more like it.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #13

I've only experienced price increases for houses. My current house has doubled in 15 years. My last house doubled in 10 years. Before that my parents house went up 6 fold in 25 years.

Only a single market (Seattle) and a single life (mine) so YMMV.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
The rent vs own question is always highly dependent on location. Growing up and living in the SF Bay Area all my life, the answer has always been own. My daughter bought her first condo in 2014 and sold it in 2016. After all expenses (buying, selling, mortgage, taxes, HOA), she netted $75K. If she were to rent the unit for those 2 years, her rent would have been about $58k. The net gain is $133k in favor of buying. I know, this is just one example, but there are many more like it.
Your daughter was lucky to make a profit after two years of ownership, but she was in a rising seller's market. How would she feel about selling into a depressed buyer's market?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Your daughter was lucky to make a profit after two years of ownership, but she was in a rising seller's market. How would she feel about selling into a depressed buyer's market?
That is true, but I'm sure she would have stayed in her condo. The appreciation allowed her to upgrade to a Single Family Home.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Renting will almost always be better financially than renting. ....
Hard to agree with that statement.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I think news about markets like San Francisco/Portland/Seattle/NYC/etc... overshadow that a vast majority of real estate in this country is worth either the same or even less over time when owning. Think of places like Flint Michigan, I highly doubt some of those owners will ever get anything for their homes...
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Renting will almost always be better financially than renting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Hard to agree with that statement.
+1

The most comprehensive analysis tool I've seen on this question is the NYT Rent/Buy Tool. According to the default scenario, which is based on a $250K house, you'd need to find an equivalent rental for $884/mo or less in order for renting to be the better financial solution. Maybe there's some place in the U.S. where you can rent a $250K house for $884/mo, but in my neck of the woods, they start at about twice that rent.

You can play around with the variables, but the only way you can swing the conclusion in favor of renting is if you sell the house after only 1 year of ownership or assume some astronomical level of maintenance costs, HOA fees, etc. Based on my experience using this tool and others to analyze dozens of downsize options in Texas, any reasonable set of assumptions will generally favor owning.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I've only experienced price increases for houses. My current house has doubled in 15 years. My last house doubled in 10 years. Before that my parents house went up 6 fold in 25 years.

Only a single market (Seattle) and a single life (mine) so YMMV.
+1 We have sold 3 properties.

House 1... bought Mar 1984 for $76,500... put about $10k into it in materials and sweat equity... sold in Dec 1986 for $156,000. Got lucky that we were in a hot housing market at the time and moved to a lower COL area about the time the market was peaking.

House 2.... bought Nov 1986 for $86,000... put about $83k into it over 25 years....sold in Oct 2011 for $215,000.

Building lot.... bought July 2004 for $61,200... put $10k in sitework... sold June 2006 for $117,000.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #20

Quote:

I'd call it a tie
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote