Join Early Retirement Today

Probably a Dumb Question On Social Security
Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably a Dumb Question On Social Security

When I went to the SS website to get an estimate on my future Social Security payment, it gave me an estimate based on last year's income. But the answer it gave said it was based on "if you earn an average of $xxxxx amount of income from now until age 62"

But if you retire early, you no longer work and so you don't continue to earn that amount of income. So does that value they gave me for a future payment apply? If not what should I do to get an estimate?
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Enter 0 for future earning. This'll give you a quick estimate.
Quick Calculator

Example Below:
Enter your date of birth (month/day/year format) 01 / 01 / 1960
Enter earnings in the current year: $ 100000
Your annual earnings must be earnings covered by Social Security.

Now click on "Submit Request"

On the next page: click on "See the earning we used"

Enter '0' for 2013 & Beyond. You can also put your actual data here for previous years if you've:

Click on "submit earning information"

This'll give you revised benefits for your specific case.
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks! That did make a difference. Not a huge dollar amount, but still a definite difference.
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
gone traveling

I was in a similar position when I retired early last year. I ran the calculator then an about a year later I filed for SS. The difference between the estimator a year ago and the final numer this year was $8.
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Administrator

There's also a detailed calculator that can be downloaded and used to prepare a more precise estimate.Social Security Detailed Calculator

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Actually the way to think about it is: If your average earnings over 35 years exceeds 4,768 per month, than any additional will only add 15% on. So assuming say you earned 113,000 the next year, thats and additional 269 a month on the 35 year period or at 15% about $40 / month more. Additional years will be the same. The 90% rate goes up to $791/month for an average.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SS is based on a 35-year pay average capped at the SS wage base (but each year indexed at national average wages to actual retirement) - if you quit working then the PIA is based on your earnings to date
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

You can use the calculator to compute your marginal SS returns for working 1 more year. I think for me it's a bit more than $100/month if I take SS at 70.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

I used the quick calculator listed by retire2020 Estimated Social Security Benefit to get my benefit at 62.

Then I used this calculator Early or Late Retirement and did the following:

I put in the date I would be 62. I received this message:
You choose to receive benefits 47 months before you reach your normal retirement age. Your benefit will be 75.42 percent of your primary insurance amount.

Since my benefit at age 62 is 75.42 of my PIA, then my benefit @62 divided by .7542 yields by PIA that I would get if I retired at 62 but didn't file for SS until 66. Then to estimate 70, I added 8% a year for the years between 66 (my FRA) and 70.

I hope that's correct.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote