Join Early Retirement Today

Problem Banks
Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Problem Banks

While I am sure that most members are aware of, and probably frequent this website, am posting the url for those who may wish to learn a little more about banks, and the level of risk involved with savings.

Problem Bank List | Tracking Problem Banks and Failed Banks

I found the site about 5 years ago, and subscribe to the emailings. In looking over the problem banks, and the changes that take place when a bank either closes or becomes a takeover, my own experience tells me to keep an eye out for possible problems. Going back about 20 years, I find that 7 out of 12 banks that we have used, have either gone belly up, or become takeovers. Most recently... of the last 7 banks, five have had major changes... ie: we're awaiting a changeover of accounts from MetLife Bank to GE.

Four of the 8 major banks in my immediate area are classified as Problem, and our last bank (last year) is now awaiting merger, or possible closing.

Since we have no individual accounts more than $250,000... (wish we did), we are not currently at risk of loss, but in those cases where we've had accounts, there have been nuisances, such as chageover of accounts, new checks, delayed transfers, and problems with some small merchants who seem worried when a defunct bank check is being cashed.

If you haven't been to the site, at the least, go to the problem bank list... many hundreds of banks... and see if your bank is on the list, and for what reason. Note that the listing is sortable by the columns... ie, state, city, capitalization, reason for being on the list, or alphabetical by name.

The most current "news" concerns a Pennsylvania bank, that is being closed... closed outright... since the FDIC was not able to find a bank to merge and take over. Theoretically, this will leave some depositors without recourse.

Enjoy... (I think)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
gone traveling

What's a bank? ...

Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The most current "news" concerns a Pennsylvania bank, that is being closed... closed outright... since the FDIC was not able to find a bank to merge and take over. Theoretically, this will leave some depositors without recourse.
(I think)
Only if they exceeded the FDIC limits--hopefully people with >$250K to park in a bank are savvy enough to figure this out.

Lots of ads on that site for banks. Smart site owners.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
What's a bank? ...
Yeah, exactly-- none of the financial institutions I use will be on that list either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, exactly-- none of the financial institutions I use will be on that list either...
Help me on this... Y'all can guess that I'm not an investor, but not to use a bank?

BTW... the link to the actual list was a little bit buried... here's the direct link to the current list.
http://cr4re.com/PBL10122012.html
Old 10-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Help me on this... Y'all can guess that I'm not an investor, but not to use a bank?

BTW... the link to the actual list was a little bit buried... here's the direct link to the current list.
Unofficial Problem Bank List
many use credit unions instead of banks.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

This site has bank ratings, you can lookup banks in your specific location.

Bank and Credit Union Star Ratings
Old 10-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish there was a list of problem credit unions.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Only if they exceeded the FDIC limits--hopefully people with >$250K to park in a bank are savvy enough to figure this out.

Lots of ads on that site for banks. Smart site owners.
Note that that is 250k per way an account is styled, a couple can have 3 sets of coverage, his, hers and theirs, plus 2 more him for her on death and vice versa. Check the FDIC web site for details.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Unofficial Problem Bank List
Navy Federal Credit Union and Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

I use USAA for insurance and credit cards, but not for savings or checking accounts. However I keep some of my father's CDs there.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
many use credit unions instead of banks.

Credit Unions go under also...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not very often and there is NCUA protection (similar to FDIC).
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Not very often and there is NCUA protection (similar to FDIC).
I could not find the total number of credit unions.... but here is a list of failures for this year and last (if you click 2011)...

Weiss Ratings

I was trying to find out the failure ratio to see if they were higher than banks or not...

OK... looks like 7500 credit unions and 7300 banks from what is listed on the site provided.... so banks are worse...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do you have a list like the one OP put up?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #15

From the original "Problem Bank" website...

This is an extended graphic which attempts to explain the Federal Reserve, and it's relationship to banking and the US Economy.
Secrets of The Federal Reserve Visually Explained | Problem Bank List

Scroll....
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Do you have a list like the one OP put up?

It looks like you can get ratings from the site I attached on an earlier post... but you have to sign up... I did not...

I was just trying to point out that CUs are not immune from failures which seemed to be inferred... and not all CUs are ran very well....
Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It looks like you can get ratings from the site I attached on an earlier post... but you have to sign up... I did not...

I was just trying to point out that CUs are not immune from failures which seemed to be inferred... and not all CUs are ran very well....
I don't see where anyone inferred that CUs are immune from failure.