Procrastination kills me again...

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just got hold of Vanguard this morning to see about moving some TSP money over to a Roth at Vanguard.....they said I am too late to do it this year. Poop.

Just got hold of Vanguard this morning to see about moving some TSP money over to a Roth at Vanguard.....they said I am too late to do it this year. Poop.

Might you have time to move it someplace else (like Fidelity) yet this year? OR does Vanguard control the timing?

omni

Might you have time to move it someplace else (like Fidelity) yet this year? OR does Vanguard control the timing?

omni
+1. I think Fidelity can create one almost instantaneously, and if you wish you can later move it to Vanguard. But I am not sure why you would want to move it- you can get the Vanguard ETFs at any broker.

Ha

Could the problem be that there are only five more business days in the year? How long does it take to get money out of a TSP?

If not FIDO, maybe go this afternoon to a nearby brick-and-mortar bank, set up a Roth account and get the transfer going? At your convenience in a month or so break the CD and transfer everything to VGD?

I guess I am just thick or something. Called up the TSP a while ago just to double check that I could move some of that money over to something like Vanguard without the 10% penalty for before age 59 (I retired before 55). Either she was confused on what I was after......or I was (actually...I KNOW I was confused). Is there a simple explanation somewhere for the steps in doing this? At one point I think she was telling me that they would not bother to take the taxes at the TSP side of things.....but that the IRS would come get me for the taxes instead.

I think somebody was getting into the Christmas spirit prematurely!

I have never made a TSP withdrawal but when I looked at the instructions a while back I got the impression that it is a cumbersome process. They appear to want you to leave things alone, take an annuity or equal payments, transfer the whole pile, or take a very few partial payments. You have to submit a form and I assume they then send you the funds at some point. No instant processing like you would expect at VG or Fidelity. I suspect OP is too late for this year. I like the TSP for saving the money but it is a PITA for managing withdrawals.

Back
Top Bottom