Property tax appeal

Skye

Dryer sheet aficionado
Our town had a re-evaluation of all its properties and my house and land went up from a total of $145,000 to a new appraisal of $487,000. I filed an appeal with the state, and while waiting, the township called and said they would reconsider and come out and look at the property again. They did, and offered me a new appraisal of $431,000. So they did take $56,000 off the value of the property. But, this still means I will be paying $200 MORE EACH MONTH for property taxes than I was paying during 2010.

The man that came out to look at the property told me I should take the new offer if one is offered. My question to all of you is this: Have anyone had any experience of appealing their appraisal with the state? Can the state say my property is worth more then the township's new appraisal? Is it better to just pay the extra $200 a month.....which does cut considerably into my income....

Also the township told me I only have 48 hours to decide if I will take the new appraisal......what the?

I successfully appealed my property tax a few years ago. There was only a single entity to deal with the the city and county of Honolulu, it took more than 2 years and numerous phone calls and email to get everything resolved. So it is absolutely possible, if it is worth it is up to you is an different question. If you are firmly convinced that 431,000 is off by more than 10% than it sound like it would save you fair amount of cash and is probably worth the fight. But you really need to have some excellent comps in your neighborhood to show that appraisal is off base.

The 48 hours to accept or appeal the appraisal seems completely unreasonable to me, but obviously you'd need the advice of a lawyer to see if is legal.

I haven't ever appealed a property appraisal, but I just wanted to sympathize. The change in appraisal for your property is shocking, especially in the recent real estate slowdown, and their 48 hour deadline seems almost insane.

I only have experience with appealing my local property tax to the county Assessor's office.
About 15 or 20 years ago, the assessment on the house I lived in at the time went up to what I thought was a ridiculous figure. I presented three recent comparable sales to demonstrate that my property was not worth as much as it was assessed for, and my valuation was reduced. They are offering you a reduction of about 11%, which is about the same as the reduction I got by appealing.

Last edited:
Our town had a re-evaluation of all its properties and my house and land went up from a total of $145,000 to a new appraisal of $487,000. I filed an appeal with the state, and while waiting, the township called and said they would reconsider and come out and look at the property again. They did, and offered me a new appraisal of $431,000. So they did take $56,000 off the value of the property. But, this still means I will be paying $200 MORE EACH MONTH for property taxes than I was paying during 2010.

The man that came out to look at the property told me I should take the new offer if one is offered. My question to all of you is this: Have anyone had any experience of appealing their appraisal with the state? Can the state say my property is worth more then the township's new appraisal? Is it better to just pay the extra $200 a month.....which does cut considerably into my income....

Also the township told me I only have 48 hours to decide if I will take the new appraisal......what the?

I have had experiences appealing property values in CA and AZ, and I must say that your situation seems very odd.

Based on your profile, I assume your property is in NJ, but I think the appeals process is likely largely the same across all the states.

First of all, you don't appeal to the state. You appeal to Assessor of the County in which the property resides. Each County has either an Assessor department or equlivalent that is responsible for determine property values. Once a property value has been "assessed", the property tax is calculated based on applicable property tax rate (i.e. based on a combination of "basic levy", or a fixe percentage, as well as your yearly share of the amount required to repay any debt issues by local jurisdictions). In general, (Assessed Value - Applicable Exemption) x Rate = Your Property Tax Amount. I am generalizing it a bit, but in general that's how it works.

If you decide to appeal, your first recourse is to appeal to the County Assessor. You usually have a certain period of time to file an appeal, from the date you received the assessment notice. You need to provide supporting information such as comps or recent sales as part of the appeal. Once you've appealed, the Assessor usually takes some time to process your appeal, and then notify you of their findings/decision. Some Counties will allow you to speak to the Assessor on the phone or in person to discussion their findings.

If you still disagree with the findings at that point, (at least in CA) you can appeal to something called Clerk of the Board/Assessment Appeals Board, which is an independent government body that hears and adjudicates disputes between the Assessor and the taxpayers. A hearing is conducted with both sides presenting their cases. The Board then makes a ruling that is binding.

While I don't know how NJ works, your County should have a body similar to Clerk of the Board/Assessment Appeals Board that independently adjudicates property value disputes. You need to get onto the County website and find out if such a body exists, and what policies govern the appeals process. Do the same for the Assessor department (or equivalent) in your County.

The bottom line is the "take it or leave" 48-hour offer seems odd. If I were you, I would not take the offer, but keep appealing (to the Board). The worst thing that can happen to you, should you lose, is that you pay an extra $200 month more. So why take that now when you still have resource to appeal?

You did not state what you think the property should be appraised at. You did not state what proof and evidence you have for the value you believe your property is worth.

We've appealed successfully at least twice. The first time was like dealing with a car dealer. The appraiser tried to negotiate up from what we thought our home value was and we tried to negotiate down from what he thought our home value was. We had solid evidence from very recent sales of very comparable homes as evidence. He even pulled the "I will have to go talk to my manager" trick. We did not budge whle we let him "go talk to his manager". He came back, "OK, I agree with you."

So ... get your property appraised to its true value or less and not some trumped up appraisal value. If the government can prove their case, they will. If you can prove your case, you should certainly do so. If you can't prove your case and only use wishful thinking, then good luck with that.

So ... get your property appraised to its true value or less and not some trumped up appraisal value. If the government can prove their case, they will. If you can prove your case, you should certainly do so. If you can't prove your case and only use wishful thinking, then good luck with that.
Good advice, also, if appeal, you could end up losing the reduce amount, or even have your value raised, so, do you feel lucky?
TJ

I'm surprised that the assessed value went UP for 2011! That sounds like some serious gouging to me. A couple months ago, I went to a community meeting, and they told us our assessments would go down for 2011, by an average of 35%.

I'm in Prince George's County, MD, and we get reassessed every 3 years, but if the value goes up, they phase in, over the course of 3 years. But if it drops, it drops right away.

In my case though, I don't think it's going to lower my actual taxes paid, because we get something called a homestead tax credit, that keeps your actual taxes from going up too much on your principal residence. I think we're capped at 10% per year, no matter what the actual assessed value is. But on rental properties, it doesn't apply.

Anyway, my full taxable amount is around $5000, but the homestead tax credit capped me at around $3200. Which just happens to be around 65% of $5K. So that drop in value will wipe out the tax credit first, before it eats into the actual taxes I pay.

Still, I'm not complaining! I'd rather pay the same amount of taxes in 2011 as 2010 than have to pay more!

Anyway, good luck on fighting that assessment. I don't have any advice to offer, alas. Hope it works out for you!

What's the property really worth? Every state and county is different, but it seems that tax should be paid on the real value/worth of the property. If it is worth the new assessment, shouldn't the taxes have been higher all along? (sorry, playing devil's advocate...)

R

You might take a look at this:
How to Lower Your Property Taxes in New Jersey | eHow.com

This is also a good document that tells how they appraise property, a little technical but really pretty good for any state.
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/lpt/realpropertyappraisalvol1.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/lpt/ptassessment.pdf

As far as the jump in price, there could be all sorts of reasons that might justify this. NJ, from what I can find, does not have a time limit on how often land must be re-assessed. While you may be noticed each year, it does not mean the property was actually re-assessed. So if it has been a while since they actually took a look at the property, that may cause an increase. I am assuming this is a single family dwelling, with a 'standard size residential lot' as opposed to acreage. If acreage is involved, then a change in land use might be present. Heck, it could even be for residential property, but that usually takes a change in zoning.

The point is there are all sorts of things that can change from one year to another that could cause a big jump in value.

How long ago was it appraised for $145,000? And what part of NJ are you in?

We have family in Morristown and their property taxes run $700/mo on a property valued at $325,000.

While living in NY I fought my property taxes every year with an attorney who charged 1/2 of what he saved me.

Down here in Fla there is no point to fighting as no one knows why your paying what your paying. Once the property values finally went down they just changed the millage rate to raise the taxes higher anyway. No point in wasting your time.

I succesfully appealed my assessment on my home 2 years ago. I documented the price we paid for it the year before and had 3 comparable prices paid in the neighborhood. I think the assessment dropped about 20% which is in line with the drop in real estate values after the bubble crashed.

I did this at my county courthouse. (A Chicago suburb). They allowed the appeal once/year. If you missed the window to file the paperwork, you had to wait for the next turn. A deadline like this may be the reason why your NJ assessor is giving you a hard deadline.

I got a card from a lawyer offering to do it for $500.00. All of the paperwork and comparable values were published on line with very clear instructions. I didn't need him.

73ss,
That happened in Houston when the market dropped out the bottom in the 80's. Only problem is the county officials did not lower the millage rate when the property values recovered!

I have been successful twice (OR and AL) but in both cases I had only owned the homes a couple of years and could use the purchase price to support my case.

The only other time I appealed was in 2007 when the assessed value of my current home increased over 50% from the previous year. Being lake property, the lot is worth much more than the house. The review board was willing to accept the house value as what my insurance co used as a replacement cost, but the lot value is more subjective as value is related to both amount and quality of waterfront access (since the lake level fluctuates and some lots have little access in the winter). I lost this appeal, but on the bright side my annual taxes are still under $1000 with an assessed value of over $400k. The assessed value stayed the same in 2008 but dropped a whopping 1-2% each of the last two years. I do think there were years that my property was "under" assessed but even lake property values here have dropped more than 2% the last 2-3 years.

73ss,
That happened in Houston when the market dropped out the bottom in the 80's. Only problem is the county officials did not lower the millage rate when the property values recovered!

I wouldn't expect them to. Just like AMT from 1969 or any other tax they put in place.

Back
Top Bottom