Property Tax Exemption- Age 65

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I received a check today from the county tax Assessor-Collector in the amount of $869.39. The only notation on the stub was "Adjustment Refunds" and my property tax account #. I was glad to get the check, but I had no clue why they would be so nice as to send me government cash is such a large amount.

Thank goodness I keep copies of stuff in a file, because I surely did not remember sending a form to them in April applying for the exemption. But I did.

After fully paying my property taxes ($4000+) in Jan, I noticed on the attached form a small notation about age 65 exemption. I just turned 65 in November. I went to a PDF file on the website and printed out a simple form, mailed it off, filed it away and completely forgot about it. It amounts to over a 20% reduction in my property taxes.

If you have not done so, and are age 65, perhaps your county tax assessor may have a check for you also.

I received a check today from the county tax Assessor-Collector in the amount of $869.39. The only notation on the stub was "Adjustment Refunds" and my property tax account #. I was glad to get the check, but I had no clue why they would be so nice as to send me government cash is such a large amount.

Thank goodness I keep copies of stuff in a file, because I surely did not remember sending a form to them in April applying for the exemption. But I did.

After fully paying my property taxes ($4000+) in Jan, I noticed on the attached form a small notation about age 65 exemption. I just turned 65 in November. I went to a PDF file on the website and printed out a simple form, mailed it off, filed it away and completely forgot about it. It amounts to over a 20% reduction in my property taxes.

If you have not done so, and are age 65, perhaps your county tax assessor may have a check for you also.

They have a program here in CT that reduces prop tax for seniors but they get it back when you sell your home.:( No break for geezers here.

We get a break here, too. I'd have to check but either it's an extra property tax exemption, or else property tax is frozen at whatever it was at age 65. There are income limits.

If I am still here in 3 years, then it will probably matter to me which of those is the case. :)

Not so generous here in AZ - to get a freeze on property valuation - "All sources of income from all owners, including taxable and nontaxable monies, cannot exceed $32,352 for single owner or $40,440 for two or more owners, in an average of income for the previous 3 years." And it needs to be refiled every 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom