Join Early Retirement Today

protecting assets- umbrella/liability insurance?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

protecting assets- umbrella/liability insurance?

I played hooky today and went skiing. Had a minor bump with someone on the slope - we both brushed it off... but what if they were injured or unethical...

What insurance protects you in these types of cases?
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

One of the requirements for establishing our umbrella policy was high(er) liability limits on both our car and home policies. So we are covered first by the car/home liability insurance then by the umbrella if things really go south.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
I played hooky today and went skiing. Had a minor bump with someone on the slope - we both brushed it off... but what if they were injured or unethical...

We have a $1M umbrella policy for that sort of thing.

It just renewed at $210 per year, and it required underlying 300/500/100 auto liability and 500K homeowners liability.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I assume it would be your umbrella liability policy. Just renewed ours at about $700 for $3mm. Ouch but we feel it's necessary.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Any recommendation on a umbrella liability carrier? I don't plan on staying with my current home insurer. I just checked progressive and they seem to detach the policy from homeowners (Personal Umbrella Insurance – Personal Umbrella Coverage - Progressive) . Progressive's rates were great when i tried to switch a year ago but they insisted i needed to re-roof before they insured my home.
nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Mine is through USAA.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's normally an add-on to your auto insurance, not homeowners.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I just spoke with my ins. agent about this today. I asked if I shot someone while target shooting would I be covered? He said my homeowners policy would cover me. I upped it to $1mm. Cost less than an umbrella policy.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You would think that the lift ticket has a paragraph or two about nobody being liable for nothin', most especially not the ski resort or its staff.

We have the same multi-paragraph liability waivers for taekwondo tournaments-- in case someone gets concussed or breaks their nose or has their teeth realigned. Yes, those things have all happened in my age group/weight class, but I wasn't on either side of it.

We do our umbrella liability insurance through Armed Forces Insurance Exchange and I've decided to be very careful about teaching or refereeing taekwondo. Most people get the insurance from their homeowner's or auto policies. If you meet their membership requirements, you might also want to look into USAA.

Good luck with personal watercraft, motorcycles, dogs of vicious-reputation breeds, and other aspects of high-risk lifestyles.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Any recommendation on a umbrella liability carrier? I don't plan on staying with my current home insurer. I just checked progressive and they seem to detach the policy from homeowners (Personal Umbrella Insurance – Personal Umbrella Coverage - Progressive) . Progressive's rates were great when i tried to switch a year ago but they insisted i needed to re-roof before they insured my home.
I have mine with Geico and I'm really happy with them. With some carriers if you have 300K on your house the umbrella policy only covers 700K if you a 1M policy. With geico they cover above what you have now.

Also one of the things I like is they answer the phone quickly and a person is on the other end, no recording machines and prompts.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We also have a policy with Geico and have been happy with the customer service.

The one bad thing about my experience with them is that they didn't explain the commonly misconceived notion is that a $1m policy only covers the difference between what your homeowners/auto will cover (believe they require $300k coverage on both) up through $1m. It's not $300k plus $1m. Thankfully someone had explained that to me prior to us getting the quote and potentially feeling misled.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #12

Funny, but when it was explained to me they said that the 1M is above what you have now. They did say that I had to have 300K on my home owners policy and they would be 1M above that #. I'll have to call tomorrow and make sure.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #13

I was speaking to Geico today because I'm thinking about going to a different Home owners company. They only offer a 300K max and I have 500K now. Geico said 300K is mandatory and there was no diff. in price between the 300K and 500K. This should mean that the 1M is above and beyond what ever you have on your policy.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #14

I have a $1M umbrella policy with the same ins. company as the homeowner's and autos....State Farm.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I have a $1M umbrella policy with the same ins. company as the homeowner's and autos....State Farm.
Same here. Homeowners, cars and umbrella with State Farm. Been that way for 30+ years. So far so good.....
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have homeowner's, cars and umbrella with AAA (well, here it's the Southern California affiliate). Best rates we've found. I've always been happy with them. Of course, we've never filed a claim so that might have something to do with it.

Our car insurance bill is coming in the next week or so, so I'm going to shop around a bit (Geico, progressive, our professional organizations, State Farm, etc.) but don't anticipate a change.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
We also have a policy with Geico and have been happy with the customer service.

The one bad thing about my experience with them is that they didn't explain the commonly misconceived notion is that a $1m policy only covers the difference between what your homeowners/auto will cover (believe they require $300k coverage on both) up through $1m. It's not $300k plus $1m. Thankfully someone had explained that to me prior to us getting the quote and potentially feeling misled.
That is not true. If you have $1.3 million loss, your primary insurance covers $300k and your umbrella insurance covers $1 million. I also have GEICO umbrella policy. Just checked the policy language.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You would think that the lift ticket has a paragraph or two about nobody being liable for nothin', most especially not the ski resort or its staff.

We have the same multi-paragraph liability waivers for taekwondo tournaments-- in case someone gets concussed or breaks their nose or has their teeth realigned.
IANAL but my understanding is these waivers don't waive your ability to sue for gross negligence, etc. For example, if the ski joint failed to maintain its lift and one fell on your head, the waiver wouldn't protect them. Or, if you could show the skier was recklessly hot dogging you could go after him, although the ski place might be somewhat protected by the waiver in this case.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

WEST BEND Ins. Co. in Wi.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you kill someone, you could go to jail. Make sure you wear a helmet too!

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Ski death provokes helmet debate

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote